Famous bankrupts, past & present

I thought I'd post this to remind us that we're not social outcasts :)

King Edward II - 14th century English king. His 14th century attempt to conquer France led to the Hundred Years' War, and the cost of this scheme put him £30 (approx. $60) in debt - over $7,000,000 in today's cash.) :eek:

Rembrandt 1606-1669 - the famous Dutch painter. He filed for bankruptcy at the age of 50 in 1656. Many of Rembrandt's paintings and his house were sold at an auction. After the bankruptcy, he continued to paint but was not allowed to sell his works directly to customers. He was able to circumvent this law by having his son take over his business and sell his paintings.

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, 1756 - 1791, composer. He fell heavily into debt in his early 30s and when he died at age 35, was buried in an unmarked pauper's grave.

Thomas Jefferson - when Thomas Jefferson died in 1826, his large estate and all his possessions, including 130 slaves, were auctioned off to pay his creditors.

Milton Hershey - founder of Hershey’s chocolate, his first four companies failed, his fifth is now one of the worlds largest chocolate manufacturers.

Walt Disney – Disney founded his first company (the Laugh-O-Gram Corp) in 1921 with $15,000 from investors, went bankrupt two years later when his investors pulled out due to distribution problems. His next company did rather better. :D

L. Frank Baum - he ran a store into bankruptcy in Aberdeen, SD, before he turned to writing. He wrote the “Wizard of Oz”.
Immanuel Nobel (father of Alfred Nobel, founder of the Peace Prize) - bankrupt twice.
Henry John Heinz - condiment manufacturer.
James Abbot McNeil Whistler - Artist
Abraham Lincoln - American president
Mark Twain - American author
Oscar Wilde - poet and author
Henry Ford – first two automobile companies failed.
William Fox - co-founder of 20th Century Fox
Charles Goodyear - inventor and tyre manufacturer
Mickey Rooney - actor
Lionel Bart - British composer
Harry Saltzman - film producer of James Bond
Isaac Hayes – Songwriter, composer, singer Soul Ltd.
Larry King - talk-show host
Tom Petty - rock star
Cyndi Lauper - rock star
Meat Loaf - rock star
Mick Fleetwood - rock star
Marvin Gaye - singer
Andy Gibb - rock star
Jerry Lee Lewis - Rock n’ Roll star
Tammy Wynette - country music star
Willie Nelson - rock star
Kim Basinger - actress
Gary Coleman - star of "Diff'rent Strokes"
Burt Reynolds - actor
Debbie Reynolds - actress
MC Hammer - musician
Natalie Cole - singer
Toni Braxton - rock star
Chaka Kahn - rock star
Mike Tyson - boxer
Chris Eubank - boxer
Anna-Nicole Smith - Playboy centrefold
Natalie Cole - singer
Lynne Spears - mother of Britney
Don Johnson - actor-producer
Eddie "The Eagle" - ski jumper
Heidi Fleiss
Members of the Jackson family - first Michael's parents with debts of $45m :eek:, then some of the children - Tito, Jermaine, Randy and Rebbie. Apparently, Michael and his songbird sisters Janet and LaToya did nothing, saying they had no part of the family firm. La Toya Jackson then went bankrupt herself, & Michael is rumoured to be heading for bankruptcy himself. At one point, he'd managed to reduce his spending to £1m a month. :eek:

See, there is life after bankruptcy. It doesn't mark you as a failure for the rest of your life. For many people, the challenge of rising again after it made them that much more determined to succeed in the future. There's no reason why that can't be the case for any of us as well. :)

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• Toto
    Toto Posts: 6,680 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I read that Clarissa Dickson Wright who was one of the fat ladies chefs went bankrupt on 3 seperate occasions. Not sure what to say about that really :rolleyes:
    :A
    "Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid" - Albert Einstein
  • Toto
    Toto Posts: 6,680 Forumite
    Ok had to go and look that up and indeed it is true, I came across another fact about her, her name is actually Clarissa Theresa Philomena Aileen Mary Josephine Agnes Elsie Trilby Louise Esmerelda Dickson-Wright.
    "Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid" - Albert Einstein
  • wherediditallgo
    wherediditallgo Posts: 2,889 Forumite
    Maybe having to spend so much on pens to write out such a long name had something to do with it. :D
  • Mike_St_Helens
    Mike_St_Helens Posts: 3,414 Forumite
    Really interesting this.. Id like to hear of more !! Im sure there are loads
  • uther_2
    uther_2 Posts: 174 Forumite
    Wow! Thanks for posting this.
  • Mike_St_Helens
    Mike_St_Helens Posts: 3,414 Forumite
    Shane Ritchie AKA Alfie Moon !
    Bill Roache - Ken Barlow
    Adam Faith
    George Best
    Pop group Bros- Nearly
    Jonathan Aitken
    Neil Hamilton
    Richard Blackwood
    That Liverpool player

Theres loads !
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Sir Alan Sugar
    Sir Richard Branson
    Michael Heseltine
  • rog2
    rog2 Posts: 11,650 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Jeffrey ARCHER
    Kieth FLOYD (Celebrity Chef)
    Mike St Helens:rolleyes:
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

DFW Nerd # 166 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
  • Red1708
    Red1708 Posts: 843 Forumite
    Can't believe all the names from the 'rock and roll' lifestyle. Maybe the saying 'sex, drugs and rock and roll' should be changed to 'sex, drugs, bankruptcy and rock and roll' Hmmm second thoughts it doesn't seem to have the same appeal :D
    BSC Member 59 - AD 29th March 2008

• Dumbledore55
    Dumbledore55 Posts: 1,435 Forumite
    And how many of them made a fortune years later and didn't go back and pay the debts off that they had previously had written off?

I understand how people end up bankrupt but I do feel sorry for the people that lose a lot of money genuinely owed to them - I don't mean banks but small businesses, employees etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure