PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2017 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Comments

• mrs-moneypenny
    mrs-moneypenny Posts: 15,519 Forumite
    I can sympathise Aimee but as Marie says if once you've finished kondoing and there's something you really wanted are it needed to be in your life you will find another guitar and start playing again.
    Inallhonestly I can't think of anything I've got rid of so far that I would have preferred to keep to the space and decluttered look my home is getting.
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    :) Afternoon all.

Took a bag of donations to work with me so I could drop them off at the chazzer on the way home, I love shopping in reverse, don't you?

There must be something in the air because friend and neighbour SuperGran was chatting to me on the phone just now and telling me that her (normally immaculate and slightly-spartan) flat is a bit of a mess now as she is going through paperwork and clothing. She is also shredding a lot of stuff related to a former commitment, and happy about that.

I have temporarily acquired a few things which are in process of being upcycled and which will be offered for sale later next month. Feel a bit of a hypocrite as a kondo-ista on the acquisition side, but they're not keepers, so I guess that doesn't really count, hmmm? :o
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • milasavesmoney
    milasavesmoney Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    GQ any time you can make money with free stuff is a winner winner chicken dinner in my book!
    Overprepare, then go with the flow.
    [Regina Brett]
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    GQ any time you can make money with free stuff is a winner winner chicken dinner in my book!
    :p Thanks. There's a very old English word; totting. Means retrieving rubbish for gain. Totter (noun) one who tots. Mostly obsolete, apart from a limited survival in describing something as a load of old tot (sometimes tatt or toot).

Actually, because I went to get a small can of woodstain from my storage shed and found that it had solidified, that has made a sharp exit. Not too upset, there was very little left and the whole can had come to me third-hand anyway.

I am now doing a small mending job on one of those umbrella-type mesh flycovers for your plated food. I could have bought a new one for £1.99 but that would have just resulted in the existing item ending in the bin, which sits ill with me.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,334 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I did some digital decluttering this morning. I went through my e-mails and bookmarked the links on the few I wanted to keep and deleted all the rest.

I also dropped some bottles at a bottle bank and then went through the fridge when I got home to see what needs using up in the next few days.

I was up early today, 4.20.:eek: I thought I might as well do something useful.:D
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    GQ - many years ago I did a short stint with a publisher and was at the launch of a book called Totters Teapot. I didn't ever get round to reading it though! It's probably free on the Kindle!
    Hoping to get rid of the dressing table and side table to my friend this week. Need to advertise the large 3 way coolbox that's in the loft too. We've been busy these last few weeks and I need to get my stuff moving out.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Everyone is doing well !

I was just popping my (small) make up bag away this morning when I realised that 2 bottles of nail polish have sneaked onto my bedside cabinet and been lurking for a good few weeks. I had emptied them out of said make up bag, wondering what to do about them. It is at least 3 years since I used nail polish but I didn't release them in KM1 ?!
    Today was the right day!
    I put a coat on each pinky, realised the one I was not kean on is great and binned the other.
    Two tinted lip salves went the same way :D

Feels good.

Have a mixed bag of other Stuff to take to CS tomorrow morning. I thought i had the morning free (fortnightly client's week off, as it were) but have managed to book in plenty of chores and also coffee with elderly friend. Friend was going to walk into the village but the forecast is pouring rain so I shall go and pick her up :)
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • emmwri
    emmwri Posts: 60 Forumite
    Went to a Sunday Eucharist on St Michaels Mount and the KonMarie method had even found it's way into the sermon, the congregation being given a lesson de cluttering based on what does/doesn't bring you joy :rotfl:

I've heard of the book and I'm a terrible hoarder, we moved to a smaller house 10 months ago and done packing boxes were full of paperwork or old boxes from the previous move 3 years before that :eek: it drives OH mad and our rooms are overflowing with stuff. I think I may need to get this book from the library. It's finding the time to do it as well...
    Aug 2017 GC Budget £180
  • mrs-moneypenny
    mrs-moneypenny Posts: 15,519 Forumite
    Morning all
    Dh kondoed a bottle of solidified glue last night and then found another usable one to mend sd1s broken glasses.
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,967 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 25 July 2017 at 11:34AM
    Yay, should be getting a nice refund from the taxman instead of having to pay a big chunk on account next Monday. Had thought it was bigger but spotted a mistake by the accountant (phew, good job I spotted it), but money in instead of money out is always good!
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport