Can hotel change price after booking?

Options
I have recently booked a holiday for myself and two friends August 2018, for one week. The total price of this booking cost us 754.60 euros altogether. We pay this on arrival.

Two weeks after booking, the hotel emailed me saying that the price is incorrect and has been changed to 3,318.10 euros. Is this allowed? :mad:

Comments

• Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,940 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    How and where did you book?

Have you looked at their T&C's to see if they cover themselves for errors and mistakes?

I have to say that I think two weeks is a long time for them to report to you that an error was found. I would expect any pricing error to picked up by the hotel/agency much quicker than that.
  • bramallchic
    Options
    I booked on the official website. I can confirm expedia and the official website had the same price on the day I booked.

The terms and conditions are all in Spanish. I have translated it - here is what one paragraph says;
    "Ebano Select Apartments, for its part, reserves the right to cancel reservations that have been made at error rates without any prejudice. (Only error rates can be considered at a price 60% lower than the market price in Playa d'en Bossa in one specific date.)."

Surely this cannot be right. It is false advertisement.
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Options
    What is the market rate in the resort at the time?

Rescission for mistake is a concept common to many jurisdictions, I expect it would apply in Spain.
  • blindman
    blindman Posts: 5,659 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I booked on the official website. I can confirm expedia and the official website had the same price on the day I booked.

The terms and conditions are all in Spanish. I have translated it - here is what one paragraph says;
    "Ebano Select Apartments, for its part, reserves the right to cancel reservations that have been made at error rates without any prejudice. (Only error rates can be considered at a price 60% lower than the market price in Playa d'en Bossa in one specific date.)."

Also as you have not actually paid yet-(Check you CC statement though as sometimes sites do take and early payment) then there is no contract so you may be out of luck here.

Have you booked flights so are out of pocket?

You could come to some sort of agreement with the hotel to see if they discount the price?
  • bramallchic
    Options
    No payment has been made. Yes flights and transfers are booked - we cannot change the dates.
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

You took a chance on an obviously incorrect rate and the hotel realized the mistake. Time to move on and look for another hotel.
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    jpsartre wrote: »
    You took a chance on an obviously incorrect rate and the hotel realized the mistake. Time to move on and look for another hotel.

Obviously incorrect?
  • swingaloo
    swingaloo Posts: 2,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Luckily you haven't paid so haven't lost anything. The apartments do look lovely and whilst the rate you thought you were paying was ridiculously low for August the correct price is ridiculously high.

For £3000 I would want an all inclusive plus flight deal.
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Obviously incorrect?

Yes, obviously. The OP paid less than 25% of the actual rate.
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    jpsartre wrote: »
    Yes, obviously. The OP paid less than 25% of the actual rate.

Which he now knows, after the event, 3 sites apparently had the price as what he paid, 700 odd euros isn't abnormally cheap for a weeks accommodation. (Haven't see the hotel obviously) claiming it was obvious with the limited information here isn't really fair
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure