PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What is your charity shop bargain of the week?

Comments

• dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    VfM4meplse - sounds like you've pulled :D. The other week a very smelly and loud (but not horrible loud) man told me my hair smelled nice. My DH was with me and thought it was hilarious.At least everyone within a 5 mile radius knew I had clean hair.

Have stayed out of the shops for a couple of days, at the moment I can't seem to resist knitwear but there is only so much one person needs and it takes up such a lot of room, I have bought for other people too but the same applies to them.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    First time of posting in here but I found 3 fabulous items on Saturday worthy of mentioning.

Henry Holland jumper with a stitched Fox motif, quirky and in excellent condition £3.00

Seasalt beautiful blouse, in Navy with cream spot design in unworn condition and perfect and smart for work £3.00

Jersey dress - Brand unknown (as cut out label) but lovely quality, so thinking Fat Face or similar in a Burgundy with a tree pattern, in unworn condition. £4.00

all from the Red Cross shop in local market town. Very happy girl here.
    Welcome to the thread, Tanya.
    Seasalt stuff is lovely, great bargain.

Yesterday I bought a new pair of workout crops in a multi-coloured flower pattern on a black background. £1 from Sue Ryder shop.

And a black felt cloche hat by Laura Biagiotti, also from Sue Ryder.
    Apparently she was an Italian designer.
    In new condition, just some store fluff to remove.
    Fits me perfectly (I have a small head, even M&S S-M hats are too big).
    It has a thin band round the hat that goes into a cross-over bow at the side with a silver brand label.
    I was trying it on and a chap (stranger & customer) said 'Oh yes, that looks great, you must have it'.
    So I did. At £1.00 it would have been rude not to.
    Wouldn't it? :D
  • How come I don't get chatted up in charity shops?

I feel quite left out.:rotfl:
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    How come I don't get chatted up in charity shops?

I feel quite left out.:rotfl:
    You know where to go ;)
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    CS are the new dating sites dontcha know!
    Looking for books for DH today - didn't find any but I bought an M&S chunky knitted cardy'coat. I tried it on and hummed and haad and put it back. Walked round the corner and saw something similar but not as good quality in a shop window for £40 so I went straight back and bought it - £7.00 in the local hospice shop! Will look great over slim leg trousers for Sunday lunch type outings
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • Pollycat
    A TU sleeveless summer dress in a purple, teal and very vivid coral (almost luminescent) which I think will look fab in the Greek sunshine.
    I tried it on yesterday but left it on the rail. Looked in my wardrobe when I got home & decided to buy it if it was still there.
    It was.
    Sue Ryder £2.00
  • dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Pollycat - your hat sounds fab, I love that style.

I got some bits yesterday

H&M Cardigan, beautiful design with a ribbon tie, wool blend in cream with a shaped front, it has a very hand knitted vibe £2.50

Hand knitted cardigan in cream, oatmeal and buttermilk fairisle type design £1.99

Tweedy brown, rust, burnt orange blanket wrap, the type with the shaped shoulders in a wool blend, the shop thought it was a blanket but as I paid I explained what it was £1.99

Next PJ top, no matching bottoms but I only really needed a new top to go with some existing bottoms £1.99.

Nike Drifit long sleeved running top in a claret colour £2.50.

Matalan fleece cowl neck lounge jumper/PJ top, cream with large spots £2.50.

Brand new Dunnes boys fleece PJ's
    £3.00 for DS.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Finally, a negative note, the Crypt charity shop on Whitechapel High Street is seriously overpriced. I use book prices as a benchmark, then bric-a-brac, then clothing, and this was silly on all 3 counts. It was selling stuff that could be found BN in Poundland for much more than that! If it sells, fine - but I would suggest that if you wish to support this charity you donate directly.
    More negative reporting, I’m afraid. I was in the Spitafields Crypt Trust (same charity) in Bethnal Green yesterday - an area I haven’t visited for years - and was amazed at the prices. £4.50 for paperback?! Although there were some good titles, that I’ve P’inned. And the customers there were so rude, just shoving past and grunting.

On the bright side, I later found myself walking past a laundrette in Shoreditch and noticed a trolley of books through the window. I bought 5 serious titles for £2 - all proceeds to charity :)
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • I've been in the Whitechapel Crypt CS a few times now and haven't bought anything. I did see a baby costume for an adult man in there. I did think about buying it for my husband as a gag gift for his birthday as it's coming up.:rotfl:It would be hilarious to see his face when he opened it.
  • Pollycat
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    More negative reporting, I’m afraid. I was in the Spitafields Crypt Trust (same charity) in Bethnal Green yesterday - an area I haven’t visited for years - and was amazed at the prices. £4.50 for paperback?! Although there were some good titles, that I’ve P’inned. And the customers there were so rude, just shoving past and grunting.

On the bright side, I later found myself walking past a laundrette in Shoreditch and noticed a trolley of books through the window. I bought 5 serious titles for £2 - all proceeds to charity :)
    How much????!!!! :eek:

Forgot to mention I bought 2 paperbacks that look to have been read very carefully once.
    Michael Connelly 'The wrong side of goodbye'
    David Baldacci 'No man's land'

Both are new-ish titles and are on my holiday reading shelf.
    75p each from our hospice ship.
    dolly84 wrote: »
    Pollycat - your hat sounds fab, I love that style.
    I hope my OH likes it better than the one I wore yesterday evening.
    He said it was a bit 'Miss Marple-ish'. :mad:
    (but he was probably right)

I'm breaking out my green & navy Kangol trilby for today - to go with my green & navy tartan dress and DM green chelsea boots.

dolly84:
    Your blanket wrap sounds fab.
    I think I'm a bit too short for that look.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure