Cohabiting

Hello guys, just wanting some other people's opinions on this situation...

I am a home owner and have been for 5 years. My boyfriend (4 years) moved in at the beginning of the year and we agreed that he would pay £250 rent to contribute to bills etc which was a lot cheaper than what he previously paid when he rented a flat.

In total my monthly outgoings are just under 700 a month (bills, mortgage, insurances etc) on top of this I pay for all house maintenance, repair, renovation, household items (all appliances, furniture and furnishings)etc (the home is being fully renovated) my boyfriend will not assist with any of this even if something breaks he will leave it. I also recently had all of the doors replaced and he has not assisted with the painting of these doors leaving it all to me in very black and white terms saying he is just a lodger and the landlord would do all this if he was in a private rented place.

I had a smart meter fitted recently and my boyfriend is questioning me about bills, he is saying he thinks it's unfair that he has to pay me 250 a month as his calculation and how often he uses things do not equate to this amount and he says he should pay 150 instead and he does not think it is right that I make money from him. I have explained to him that the smart meter shows actual usage but I pay a monthly flat rate as per contact and that there are the rent fees also with gas and electric but he thinks I'm lying.

It making me sad but also confused, he is mentioning this often but In my opinion 250 was fair considering I sort out everything and he does nothing. It was also an agreement made prior to him moving in.

I have also let him have an entire room for himself only as he likes his own space and let him have the shed as he wanted to store a lot of things (it's now full so I cannot store anything in it)

In terms of income we have exactly the same wage as we have the same job!

We also pay personal bills separate such as our car insurance etc.

Am i missing something here? What do other people do?

Comments

• Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,373 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    hmmm i think taking everything into account ....

Put the lodger fee's up to a more realistic £350 and tell him you will no longer be partaking in any activities a normal landlord wouldn't if he was renting a place.

Then look for a new boyfriend.
  • Money_maker
    Money_maker Posts: 5,471 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Ask him to switch off the light on his way out ...
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed. ;)

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite! :rotfl::rotfl:
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,822 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 9 October 2017 at 11:40PM
    And tell him dont let the door bang him on his !!!! on the way out,,,,

He is taking you for a mug and you arexare allowing him to do so.
    You deserve far, far better treatment than what you are getting from this pratt. Pffy. Get rid
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • pearl123
    pearl123 Posts: 2,056 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Jones254 wrote: »

I am a home owner and have been for 5 years. My boyfriend (4 years) moved in at the beginning of the year and we agreed that he would pay £250 rent to contribute to bills etc which was a lot cheaper than what he previously paid when he rented a flat.

In total my monthly outgoings are just under 700 a month (bills, mortgage, insurances etc) on top of this I pay for all house maintenance, repair, renovation, household items (all appliances, furniture and furnishings)etc (the home is being fully renovated) my boyfriend will not assist with any of this even if something breaks he will leave it. I also recently had all of the doors replaced and he has not assisted with the painting of these doors leaving it all to me in very black and white terms saying he is just a lodger and the landlord would do all this if he was in a private rented place.

I had a smart meter fitted recently and my boyfriend is questioning me about bills, he is saying he thinks it's unfair that he has to pay me 250 a month as his calculation and how often he uses things do not equate to this amount and he says he should pay 150 instead and he does not think it is right that I make money from him. I have explained to him that the smart meter shows actual usage but I pay a monthly flat rate as per contact and that there are the rent fees also with gas and electric but he thinks I'm lying.

It making me sad but also confused, he is mentioning this often but In my opinion 250 was fair considering I sort out everything and he does nothing. It was also an agreement made prior to him moving in.

I have also let him have an entire room for himself only as he likes his own space and let him have the shed as he wanted to store a lot of things (it's now full so I cannot store anything in it)

To be honest he does not sound like much of a catch!
    He's not really contributing much. I'd ask for more rent.
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    He should be paying 50% of the bills and 50% of what it would cost to rent the house. I am sure that will be a lot more than £250.
  • mattpaint
    mattpaint Posts: 294 Forumite
    You can't have it both ways. Either he pays just 50% of the bills or more and he gains a financial interest in the house. Pick your poison.
  • Tom99 wrote: »
    He should be paying 50% of the bills and 50% of what it would cost to rent the house. I am sure that will be a lot more than £250.
    Someone will be along to say "beneficial interest" soon if he pays anything more than bills ;)
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • spirit
    spirit Posts: 2,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!

QUOTE]

You've answered your own question.
    Mortgage free as of 10/02/2015. Every brick and blade of grass belongs to meeeee. :j
  • atolaas
    atolaas Posts: 1,143 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    If he thinks that you're being unfair...I'd like to seem him find a room to rent all inclusive for 250 quid per month. If he doesn't like the arrangement as it stands then show his a*se the door!
    SPC7 ~ Member#390 ~ £432.45 declared :j
    Re-joined SW 9 Feb 2015 1 stone lost so far

Her Serene Highness the Princess Atolaas of the Alphabetty Thread as appointed by Queen Upsidedown Bear
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post

I am a home owner and have been for 5 years. My boyfriend (4 years) moved in at the beginning of the year and we agreed that he would pay £250 rent to contribute to bills etc which was a lot cheaper than what he previously paid when he rented a flat. - so he pays more than half of the bills?

In total my monthly outgoings are just under 700 a month (bills, mortgage, insurances etc) on top of this I pay for all house maintenance, repair, renovation, household items (all appliances, furniture and furnishings)etc (the home is being fully renovated) my boyfriend will not assist with any of this even if something breaks he will leave it. - well i mean he should help, but I can see his point in that it's your house and he isn't benefiting from any of the work. (if he actually did do work he could gain a beneficial interest) I also recently had all of the doors replaced and he has not assisted with the painting of these doors leaving it all to me in very black and white terms saying he is just a lodger and the landlord would do all this if he was in a private rented place. - He's not a lodger, but he is a guest

I had a smart meter fitted recently and my boyfriend is questioning me about bills, he is saying he thinks it's unfair that he has to pay me 250 a month as his calculation and how often he uses things do not equate to this amount and he says he should pay 150 instead and he does not think it is right that I make money from him. I have explained to him that the smart meter shows actual usage but I pay a monthly flat rate as per contact and that there are the rent fees also with gas and electric but he thinks I'm lying. - rent fees?

It making me sad but also confused, he is mentioning this often but In my opinion 250 was fair considering I sort out everything and he does nothing. It was also an agreement made prior to him moving in. - What are the bills and nothing else? divide that by two, that's what he should pay and what you want him to pay, to avoid him gaining ownership

I have also let him have an entire room for himself only as he likes his own space and let him have the shed as he wanted to store a lot of things (it's now full so I cannot store anything in it) - Presumably the furniture etc is all yours?

It depends if there's a future or not. You clearly don't want him to gain any ownership rights, but then you shouldn't expect him to contribute to the house in the same way either
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure