Bank Charges Reclaiming Guide discussion

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,288 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I beg to differ, whilst Bank Clerk jobs can start off at £16000 a year, with experiance can go up to £23,000

So, how can you beg to differ when the UK national average salary for 2014 is £26,500?
    The evidence is the statements I went through for my friend.....12 charges of £8 he had one month which is £98!

What is wrong with that?
    Had my friend come on this forum he wouldn't ahve bothered, I was in two minds myself but we can get some money back and I wish certain posters would stop with their own personal tradegy of not getting any charges back to frighten other people off too with their bitter tales.....different banks ahve different ways of dealing with complaints....Fine share you're own story but please remember your experiance will not be universal.

I dont think you realise the significance. Nobody is aware of any refunds due to unfair charges since the banks won the court case. This is why we are focusing on your complaint as you are alleging that you have had a success with unfair charges. Although I, and suspect others from the replies, believe that is unlikely and that it is probably another reason, such as goodwill due to finances.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • dunstonh wrote: »
    So, how can you beg to differ when the UK national average salary for 2014 is £26,500?

What is wrong with that?

I dont think you realise the significance. Nobody is aware of any refunds due to unfair charges since the banks won the court case. This is why we are focusing on your complaint as you are alleging that you have had a success with unfair charges. Although I, and suspect others from the replies, believe that is unlikely and that it is probably another reason, such as goodwill due to finances.

Christ I'm in the wrong job then! Woah!!

Stop being so technical, it's a forum so please step down from your high horse.

Does it matter whether it's a good will gesture or bank charges, the fact is you and other suspect posters are telling people they wont get anyhting putting them off even starting a complaint and i've prooved you all wrong and I hope other people put in complaints too.

Yes I can really guess who those people are like unsuccessful claiments for bank charges and bank staff I should think! Anyone who does get money back probably can't be bothered to explain themselves to posters like yourselves who are obviously in the wrong career :rotfl:
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Does it matter whether it's a good will gesture
    Of course it matters.
    Earlier you were saying it would be possible to reclaim historical bank charges from years ago and told another poster who has already complained to try again. Now you've recanted on that and fallen back on your friend (who you conveniently provide no relevant details of) who has allegedly claimed back a quarter of the bank charges she paid over an (undetermined) period of time.
    i've prooved you all wrong
    Have you really? I sincerely doubt you've provided any proof at all.
    I can really guess who those people are like unsuccessful claiments for bank charges and bank staff I should think! Anyone who does get money back probably can't be bothered to explain themselves to posters like yourselves who are obviously in the wrong career :rotfl:
    Making unfounded accusations against the posters here really does nothing to further your cause.

Even if you post up a "success story" at some time in the future, your behaviour here now will make any such report suspect to say the least. For one thing, it will be the only instance in this whole huge thread where someone has reported any success with bank charges who hasn't also been deemed in current financial hardship.
  • dunstonh
    edited 28 July 2014 at 9:43AM
    Stop being so technical, it's a forum so please step down from your high horse.

You have to be technical on this because you claimed a success where no-one has been able to get a success before. Hundreds of thousands of pounds have been spent on finding ways to challenge bank charges but nothing has worked.

Then out of the blue you make claims which would make you headline news. As you say, this is a forum. it is a forum to help others. So, it is only right we aim to find out what you did to help others.
    Does it matter whether it's a good will gesture or bank charges, the fact is you and other suspect posters are telling people they wont get anyhting putting them off even starting a complaint and i've prooved you all wrong and I hope other people put in complaints too.

It does matter as we know the banks will look at a goodwill gesture refund options on financial hardship cases or first time or very infrequent over limit cases. However, there are no known unfair charge complaint successes.

You havent proved us wrong. You havent proved anything. The fact you are backtracking and getting defensive suggests there is no proof. I don't doubt there was some refund but I suspect it is more likely a goodwill gesture for financial situation. Not unfair bank charges as you claim.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Anyway guys don't let some posters put you off with their power trips, whether it be good will gesture or actual charges, send in a complaint letter!! Some money is better than none, my friend recently got £450 back and he was asking for around £2000....

Good luck!
  • karlie4187
    karlie4187 Posts: 35 Forumite
    Hi everyone i am quite new to all this and need a bit of advise has anyone been successful when trying to claim bank charges/fees from Barclays?

I have been off sick from work for over a year now and my partner lost his job 4 years ago and struggled to find any work even cleaning!!!! I was going to try and claim my bank charges for the last year which is about £400 because it is putting a strian on us. Do you think i may be successful? I didnt know if i should only claim for the last year or the last 4 years?

Please any advice on any of this would be appreciated :(:(
  • dunstonh
    karlie4187 wrote: »
    Hi everyone i am quite new to all this and need a bit of advise has anyone been successful when trying to claim bank charges/fees from Barclays?

I have been off sick from work for over a year now and my partner lost his job 4 years ago and struggled to find any work even cleaning!!!! I was going to try and claim my bank charges for the last year which is about £400 because it is putting a strian on us. Do you think i may be successful? I didnt know if i should only claim for the last year or the last 4 years?

Please any advice on any of this would be appreciated :(:(

you dont claim for any period. You make your case to Barclays saying you are in financial hardship giving them examples of the hardship you have (i.e. what arrears, defaults etc you have and how you have no luxury spending and living on the breadline etc). They will then check your accounts for your spending habits to verify that you are actually not spending on things like sky tv, mobile phone, shopping at Next etc and if they agree that you are in hardship, they will come up with a solution.

That solution may not be any refund of charges. It may be a suspension of future charges and interest for 6 months. It may be a refund of charges over the last 6 months. You never really know. It depends on hardship you are suffering and how they think its best to help.
  • lilherbz
    lilherbz Posts: 47 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi All,

My boyfriend would like to try reclaim his bank charges from HSBC. He was made redundant twice and at the time of the first redundancy he was trying to support his ex partner and her 2 children needless to say he got himself into hot water increasing his overdraft limit to £900 and using the credit card to pay for food, council tax, school uniforms etc. He did have a fairly well paid job both times then had to take a lower paid job just to cover the bills.

We have worked out that his charges are just over £1000 for a 2 year period.

He has since stopped using this account and the overdraft was handed to a debt management company which he has nearly paid off :-)

He had to open another account due to the money just getting swallowed up every time from the charges of unpaid DD's and going over the overdraft.

My question is will he still be able to try claim these charges even though the account has been closed?

He has a letter drafted and have gone through his old statements and have a list of the amount of charges which were applied. Would he need to include anything else within this letter like credit card statements or letters from tax credits confirming he was getting a wage bump and that he was using the credit card to pay for the essentials?

Many thanks in advance.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    lilherbz wrote: »
    My question is will he still be able to try claim these charges even though the account has been closed?
    You have absolutely no chance of getting a refund of historical charges, especially if no longer a customer of the Bank. Any letter requesting such will be met with a blunt refusal to even consider it.

Your boyfriend would need to be in current financial hardship and still have an active account in order for even some charges to be refunded.

No point spending any more time on this foregone conclusion. The Banks won their court case about unfair bank charges and are not obliged to refund anything.
  • You have absolutely no chance of getting a refund of historical charges, especially if no longer a customer of the Bank. Any letter requesting such will be met with a blunt refusal to even consider it.

Your boyfriend would need to be in current financial hardship and still have an active account in order for even some charges to be refunded.

No point spending any more time on this foregone conclusion. The Banks won their court case about unfair bank charges and are not obliged to refund anything.

Don't ever post on here but thought I should just to correct that statement as to not put people off trying to claim.

Read Martin's email last week about reclaiming bank charges so thought I would send a letter to Halifax regarding the substantial overdraft fees I accrued.

Explained that at the time I was in financial hardship and it really did not help my situation, making it worse of course. Sent my letter and within 2 days I had a phone call back from a very nice complaint handler who proceeded to tell me they had upheld my case and would refund me £1623.

My Halifax account was closed in May 2013, however they agreed to refund the charges dating from September 2012 until the account closure date, so yes they will refund charges on a closed bank account if they feel you were unfairly charged regardless of whether you still have an open account with them.

Great result for me and I am very happy of course.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback