Pc World Performance Agreement

When I bought my Advent PC in July 2004 I puchased a five years Performance Agreement for £239. I have used the Agreement for free in-store health checks (good) In the last few months I have had major problems with the PC - it keeps crashing and a Blue Screen appears with error messages. I call the Performance Agreement 0870 helpline to ask for an engineer to visit to repair it. I am always told that I have to reset the computer (and lose all my data) before they will consider my request. I dont want to do this as I dont want to lose all my data. When I say this I am told "data is not our responsibility". I have now reached a brick wall - the Performance Agreement complaints section were hopeless. I cant afford to pay for an engineer.

Has anyone else had similar problems with their PC World Performance Agreement? If so what did you do?

Help! Any suggestions welcome!

Thanks

Comments

• wolfman
    wolfman Posts: 3,225 Forumite
    Backup all your data (which you should be doing anyway), and then ask them what to do.

That way if anything goes wrong your data is safe. Phone them up and ask for the exact steps of what needs to be done before they'll send someone out.

What do they mean by "reset your computer" and are you expected to do this? How do you go about doing it etc...
    "Boonowa tweepi, ha, ha."
  • I imagine which ever Knuckle dragger PC world send over will use the Recovery Disc supplied with your machine :)

If you need to back data up - you'll need something like a WinPE disc and a removable USB drive ( if your machine no longer boots into windows )

I hate to say it , but I'm sure that £250 could have been better spent, having seen 1st hand what a PC world 'health check' is.

It might help if you put your location ? perhaps a local MSE'er might be able to help out.
  • yeah i agree £250 could been better spent i would back all my data up and use recovery disk that you get with computer i dont know if you pay pc world a month or a one off fee but it should be down to them them to sort it out if that what your paying for
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • superscaper
    superscaper Posts: 13,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who would take "responsibility" for your data. As with the other posters, why aren't you backing up already? Just a simple hard drive failure (which is out of everyone's hands) and you'll have lost all your data anyway.
    "She is quite the oddball. Did you notice how she didn't even get excited when she saw this original ZX-81?"
    Moss
  • Thanks for the tips - appreciated.

Sorry to be thick - but can I have some more advice on backing data up. I bought some USB memory sticks but they arent big enough to put all my data on. Also couldnt work out how to back-up Oulook.

Can someone suggest a larger device that will allow me to regularly and easily back up the whole PC.

Regards

Martin
  • superscaper
    superscaper Posts: 13,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Do you have a cd or dvd writer? I think they're the best option in terms of a physical backup. In outlook (not sure about outlook express) you can go to file > export to a file> personal folder file > select personal folders and tick include subfolders and save backup to where you want.
    "She is quite the oddball. Did you notice how she didn't even get excited when she saw this original ZX-81?"
    Moss
  • nej
    nej Posts: 1,526 Forumite
    A DVD writer would help, and also an external hard-disk.

Backup everything to the external HD, and stuff you really really want to DVD, in case the external one fails as well. And keep copies of the DVD at another location in case of fire.

Sounds a bit OTT, but if you have things like your photos on there, how much are the memories worth?
  • I sympathise with all the posters on here.

I have just fired off an email advising PC World of legal action as they have failed to repair or replace my laptop as per the agreement that I took out.

In essence, they have called me a liar of how my laptop was damaged and will not pay out.

What galls me is that I worked for the company for a total of 7 years first as a part timer at uni and then for 5 years in their head office.
  • Donnie
    Donnie Posts: 9,862 Forumite
    Resurrecting a three year old thread?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills