article, all about

Starting an ironing service

which is part of the Work part-time from home section

Please feel free to add your comments, suggestions or questions
Just click reply

Comments

• one-day
    one-day Posts: 303 Forumite
    i have started doing this in my area to try and make some spare cash for xmas and debts but so far only got 2 people i need more
    has anyone got any ideas to get more? i have put leaflets up in the local shops and also in peoples letter boxes
    :eek::eek::eek:grand total of debt on 21/1/11 is £8,208.19 :eek::eek::eek:
    debt total on 30/07/12 is £4313.52
    water £847.75, HSBC £479.66, vodafone £262.35, Captial one £415, AA £47.97, scotcall (scottish power) £622, Arrow £420, Welcome £642.41, CSA (scottish power) £484.90, BT £91.50
  • hayley11
    hayley11 Posts: 7,625 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    one-day wrote: »
    i have started doing this in my area to try and make some spare cash for xmas and debts but so far only got 2 people i need more
    has anyone got any ideas to get more? i have put leaflets up in the local shops and also in peoples letter boxes

Have you tried advertising on your local Gumtree? And also Ebay have a classified section now which is free.

HTH

H :D
    :heart: Think happy & you'll be happy :heart:
    I :heart2: my doggies
  • Stephb1986_2
    Stephb1986_2 Posts: 6,279 Forumite
    We started a ironing service over 5 years ago its been nothing but hassle with people claiming that we have lost things and burnt them (which we obvioulsy have not) but we luckily took out insurance to cover these situations which isn't cheap. It did start as part time now we work from 5am till 9pm monday to friday and we also collect the ironing on a sunday. The phone never stops ringing even on a sunday morning at 8:30am!
    Some people actually send their stuff not washed (gas mask time)
    the only other thing i can think of you doing to get more work is advertise in a local newsletter.
    But do be careful if you are stepping on other ironing services toes they won't appreciate it and might try to cause trouble.
    Good luck
    Stephb x
  • one-day
    one-day Posts: 303 Forumite
    i never thought of insurance i better look now for some any advice
    :eek::eek::eek:grand total of debt on 21/1/11 is £8,208.19 :eek::eek::eek:
    debt total on 30/07/12 is £4313.52
    water £847.75, HSBC £479.66, vodafone £262.35, Captial one £415, AA £47.97, scotcall (scottish power) £622, Arrow £420, Welcome £642.41, CSA (scottish power) £484.90, BT £91.50
  • LizD_2
    LizD_2 Posts: 1,503 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    one-day wrote: »

What about asking if you can put a card in your local Laundrette or Newsagents' window?
  • Stephb1986_2
    Stephb1986_2 Posts: 6,279 Forumite
    we got ours through a search on ask

but it isn't cheap :)

http://www.ashburnham-insurance.co.uk/public-liability-insurance/Ironing+Services.shtml

Some laundretts offer a ironing service the likes of halls, johnsons ect.

maybe offer some sort of discount with orders over £30 :)
  • Hi

I live in Kent (6 miles from central london)and there has been a demand recently for home "good quality" cleaners and ironers.

Average pay here for a good reliable domestic cleaner is between £7-£10 per hour. Ironers can charge easily £8ph+.

So even if you got 2 x 2hr jobs...thats an extra £28-£40pw or £1456-£2080pa. Or a couple of lots of ironing (2x2hrs)...thats an extra £32pw or £1664pa.

I have seen an advert in our local paper for a black bag of clothes ironed for £30.00:confused: ..I thought that wasnt too bad.

Anyway, just an idea as I have needed all of the above over the past 18 months and it has been a nightmare to fill the jobs to a good standard. Luckily I am sorted now, but there is a definite opening in the market if your willing to put out a few flyers and test the waters:D

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • timberflake
    timberflake Posts: 1,623 Forumite
    I love this idea!! I acutally like cleaning and an a complete neat freak!! If anyone wants a regular cleaner in the Leicester area give me a shout!!
  • Timmne
    Timmne Posts: 2,555 Forumite
    That'd be me then timberflake!

I really need a cleaner and an ironer as despite having a 2 bed apartment (flat!) I never spend enough time at home to get it done!

Fancy it? :D
  • timberflake
    timberflake Posts: 1,623 Forumite
    Timmne wrote: »
    That'd be me then timberflake!

I really need a cleaner and an ironer as despite having a 2 bed apartment (flat!) I never spend enough time at home to get it done!

Fancy it? :D

If you're in Leicester I'll take the job!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure