PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Living on own land

Comments

• AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    It does seem strange (or "nanny-state") that people cannot decide how and where they want to live on their own land, especially in an existing building.

Not at all.

We've recently had a situation in our village where somebody bought a plot of agricultural land - <1 acre - and hacked down part of a long-established hedge to move a shed of a mobile home onto the land, insistent that he was going to be living on the plot. By your logic, there's nothing whatsoever wrong with that.

The people whose homes he was next to would definitely disagree - as would all those who've spent the last year or two working on the village Neighbourhood Development Plan, identifying acceptable sites in the village for residential development, and getting it through a local referendum.

If you find that acceptable, then where to stop with random, unrestricted residential development?
    Surely it's better than having people homeless, living in a box on the streets?

That's the only other option, is it?
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 16 August 2017 at 2:11PM
    ...and I must say I sympathise with OP - as logic would dictate "My land - so I can do what I please on it" - but that's what happens in an overcrowded country and we do need to be protected from over-development.

(so unless you're in a very small select group of people that can get planning permission in their "local" locality that others wouldnt get for the exact same house in the exact same location - and so they've got a local Councillor to tell the Council why they personally are "special" and they get rules bent and they're given it :cool: - then that's how things are in Britain).
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    AdrianC wrote: »
    At which point, you own 13 plots of land. The original one plot no longer exists. You've just incurred fairly substantial legal fees. cheaper than buying land with planning

At which point, you own no land.
    Well, actually, you DO still own 13 plots, because you have 100% shareholding and control over those companies. You're incurring 13 x annual company costs, as well as tax on the rental income.
    cheaper than buying land with planning, how much tax do you pay on £1 annual rent?

Related person transaction. Proper problem,
    wasnt aware of this, give me some time to work around it

So you're dragging your caravan around the plot every four weeks. Even in the depths of winter, when the ground may well be waterlogged. What are you doing for water/power/drainage, btw? A 100m hose and a 100m EHU, chemical waste disposal

Except you haven't, have you? You've not lived on any one plot for more than 28 days... Remember, that original plot is now 13 plots. O no, you only move on when youre told to.
    SO the reality is you will be on one plot most of the time.
    Once people realise when they complain youll only move to the next plot theyll probably stop complaining and thus you can stay on one (small) plot for the 10 years, after everyone has stopped complaining.

I think I've seen sieves with fewer holes.

Apart from the related person transaction, ive patched it all up for you. Whats the craicc with related person transaction, never heard of it before?

My parent owns a business and rents a property to the business. That rent is probably below market value, im assuming its all above board considering the accountant ticks it off every year? Is that not the same thing more or less?
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    Not at all.

We've recently had a situation in our village where somebody bought a plot of agricultural land - <1 acre - and hacked down part of a long-established hedge to move a shed of a mobile home onto the land, insistent that he was going to be living on the plot. By your logic, there's nothing whatsoever wrong with that.

No, I'm talking more about the example I gave - the garage was already there and all the owner wanted to do was keep his daughter in it instead of his car.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    No, I'm talking more about the example I gave - the garage was already there and all the owner wanted to do was keep his daughter in it instead of his car.

Then maybe he should have converted it properly, as I converted mine, making it into a better insulated space than the house.

Of course that did cost more, both in monetary terms and in the effort that had to be expended to make an originally thin-skinned building comply with modern regs.

Perfectly do-able. I wouldn't have wanted my daughter to stay in the original building either.
  • bertiewhite
    First Post
    Davesnave wrote: »
    Then maybe he should have converted it properly, as I converted mine, making it into a better insulated space than the house.

Of course that did cost more, both in monetary terms and in the effort that had to be expended to make an originally thin-skinned building comply with modern regs.

Perfectly do-able. I wouldn't have wanted my daughter to stay in the original building either.

But his daughter did. I can't remember the exact story but so what if someone wants to live in a garage without complying with building regs? Surely it's only them that's affected by it.

How about someone living in a summerhouse at the end of the garden? What harm is it doing?
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    But his daughter did. I can't remember the exact story but so what if someone wants to live in a garage without complying with building regs? Surely it's only them that's affected by it.
    Sure it is.

I mean, it's not like anybody's died in unsafe accommodation, is it?

Oh.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post

How about someone living in a summerhouse at the end of the garden? What harm is it doing?

Well, there are literally billions of people in developing countries who would agree with you, so who am I to argue?

But before you settle for one side of the fence or the other, it might be good to think about where exactly in the UK you'd like the first shanty town to be.
  • bertiewhite
    First Post
    Sure it is.

I mean, it's not like anybody's died in unsafe accommodation, is it?

Oh.

But the garage wasn't the responsibility of the council, it was private property so why were the council interfering? This is why I am referring to nanny state.
    Well, there are literally billions of people in developing countries who would agree with you, so who am I to argue?

But before you settle for one side of the fence or the other, it might be good to think about where exactly in the UK you'd like the first shanty town to be.
    Why do such dwellings have to be shanty? You might as well stop people living in mobile home parks as well. Come to think of it, why is it ok for people to live in a tent for 2 weeks on holiday when it would be far more comfortable staying in a brick built hotel or B&B?
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,641 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post

I think it's in Essex - Jaywick
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure