webuyanycar.com

Comments

• my OH sold her car through them, they sent her all the paperwork guaranteeing her £2200 for her ford fusion, and then when she went drop it off, the price had dropped to £900!!!!!!!!!! She had to haggle for 2 hours to get it up to £1300 :( very bad! i wouldn't use them
    Debt@LBM1=£4050 1st DFD 27/08/09 :D Debt @LBM2 =£14,469.97 2nd DFD 14/03/2018 :T
    Make £10/day Y1£3.5k Y2£3k Yr3£4k Yr4£1.5k
    DFW NERD 1068 :cool:
    Avios 78,000 :D
  • my OH sold her car through them, they sent her all the paperwork guaranteeing her £2200 for her ford fusion, and then when she went drop it off, the price had dropped to £900!!!!!!!!!! She had to haggle for 2 hours to get it up to £1300 :( very bad! i wouldn't use them

The paperwork guarentees a price based on condition and inspection.

No doubt you were less than accurate about its condition.

Webuyanycar want to sell these cars on so of course there will be a margin.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I think the lessons are

make sure you describe your car very accurately online
    have all supporting paperwork with you - service history, mot etc
    Expect them to try to negotiate and be ready for it.

The bottom line is you dont HAVE to sell to them so if they monkey you about, walk away.
  • wevet
    wevet Posts: 7 Forumite
    D_Jones wrote: »
    Do not waste your time with these people. (webuyanycar.com) They give you a tempting offer on the internet then you make an appointment to visit there offices. So you drive for an hour to meet up with a rather down market ex bouncer type who says they don’t want your car as its not fitted with something or other. But would buy it for £1500 less.
    Don’t waste your petrol and time.

I got made redundant and had a car with "negative equity" HP co totally unhelpfull i.e.e no problem hand it back and you then only owe us £8k. They would not allow me to sell it which would have left just a reduced deficit of £6.75k

My solution (butis only good for cars up 4 years I thinlk) is to out it with re-leased.com they manage the car i.e. they have found someone to rent it and that covers my payments plus I make a small (£95 p/m) profit. WhenI get a job again I get the car back.

Might not suit everyone but it got me out of a painfull jam very quick.
  • loftgroovv
    loftgroovv Posts: 4 Newbie
    edited 18 June 2009 at 1:08PM
    pgilc1 wrote: »
    Whats interesting about your situation is that you know the car was only worth about £20 scrap, but you're still complaining when they gave you £110.

I haven't complained - I even said the guy who conducted the sale was perfectly nice and non pushy. I've just written a consumer review (the 'good and bad' of my own expereince).

I'm just pointing out that the online price they generate is clearly overinflated in terms of what they'll actually offer you once you are there - a situation backed up by the experience of countless other posters on here (so who is right - YOU or just about everyone else?). The online pricing mechanism on their website is designed to be "tempting" - that is how they get you there!

I just don't want other people out there to think they'll actually get the price they get given on the webuyanycar.com website, because (on the balance of evidence) they won't. But if they are happy with the lower offer they receive then fine.

Your own car might be 'mint' by your own estimation, but I can assure you they'll find something to knock down the price.

You also seem to portray a very positive view of their whole operation despite not even having experienced an actual deal with them.
  • motorguy
    edited 18 June 2009 at 1:23PM
    loftgroovv wrote: »
    You also seem to portray a very positive view of their whole operation despite not even having experienced an actual deal with them?

And you have sold one car to them for £110? Hows that objective? :confused:

Most of the criticisms on here are from people who are saying that the prices they were 'offered' on the site are much lower than they expected. A further subset have had the offer reduced when they phyiscally got there.

This is hardly surprising as you are being offered raw trade price for the car. Also, they will only bid strongly on cars they want to buy. Hence an 18yo jaguar is unlikely to get a price acceptable to the seller.

My point is, check them out, if the price is way off, then you've lost 3 minutes of your life and move on to somewhere else. If the price is reasonable and you cant get a better price elsewhere, make sure that you have described your car accurately and make sure they have no excuses to negotiate on price. If they do offer a lower amount, negotiate OR walk away.

I would imagine any dealings whereby retail customers are exposed directly to the motor 'trade' are unlikely to be pleasant, so i'm not sure why you would think a large trader like this crowd should be any different?
  • motorguy

I'm just pointing out that the online price they generate is clearly overinflated in terms of what they'll actually offer you once you are there - a situation backed up by the experience of countless other posters on here (so who is right - YOU or just about everyone else?).

The bulk of negative posts relate to poor prices quoted on the site. Very few pertain to heavy negotiating once you turn up at their outlet. Anyone who does has been countered by other posters asking 'did you accurately describe the car in the first place?' to which invariably there is no reply.

The online pricing mechanism on their website is designed to be "tempting" - that is how they get you there!

Thats contrary to the bulk of feedback on here - most say the online quote was well below their expectations.

Out of curiosity, when they negotiated on the value of your car, on what was the basis for that? ie, what was their reason?
  • negg
    negg Posts: 280 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    It seems a bit strange they offer low prices on the internet, then lower when you get there? You would think they would offer higher prices on the website to tempt you down.

They offered me £5850 a while back for my car (on the website) whilst dealers were offering £6000 to buy it straight off me (no px). So I didn't go down to see what they really would have offered.
  • pgilc1 wrote: »
    The bulk of negative posts relate to poor prices quoted on the site. Very few pertain to heavy negotiating once you turn up at their outlet.

That isn't true! You just seem to be reading what you want to read.

All the following are extracts from this very posting which suggest people were offered one (higher) price on their website, followed by a lower price when they actually got there:

Cybi They offered me £1650 for my 02 car. Wanted to avoid the hassle of selling so drove 90 miles to Chester. Was offered £875 when I eventually saw someone. This for a car valued by Autotrader at £2650 as private sale if in 'Poor' condition. What a waste of time, effort and diesel”

Albionrovers“I got what I wanted from them, they only knocked me down 60 quid from £810 => £750.”

Hipha“Webuyanycar quoted me 14,260 and I arranged an appointment……He took the keys and inspected the car thoroughly. On his return he said 'Nice car'...then offerred me 13,800! I was not impressed as my car was in showroom condition and only covered 11000 miles”

JMR24“Their online quote gave me a price of £4850. They told me to take it in for a valuation, which I did (the depot was only a 5 minute walk from where I live). The guy then came back and said it's only worth £4300”.

These 4 examples from this listing are in addition to my own. Do you care to provide some counter-evidence then of examples where someone has e.g. got a £5,000 quote on the website, taken it along, and then actually being given £5,000 for sale? Good luck, because there are unlikely to be any.

I’m actually not complaining about them in general, merely the fact that they obviously employ a tactic of offering a fat price on their website (with a car described accurately) and then a lower price when you’ve taken the trouble to go there.

I accept that some people might have inaccurately described the condition of their car, but then equally that is also their convenient excuse isn’t it. For my old banger I described the engine as in POOR condition on their website and still got a £240 quote. When he looked round it he pointed out that the engine was in poor condition and knocked down the offer!

All I am trying to say is…. why didn’t their website just say “we value your car at £100” in the first place…rather than say they value it at £240?
  • motorguy
    Cybi They offered me £1650 for my 02 car. Wanted to avoid the hassle of selling so drove 90 miles to Chester. Was offered £875 when I eventually saw someone. This for a car valued by Autotrader at £2650 as private sale if in 'Poor' condition. What a waste of time, effort and diesel”

And did Cybi come back and say why they devalued it? ie, by how much was it misdescribed?

Albionrovers“I got what I wanted from them, they only knocked me down 60 quid from £810 => £750.”

Hipha“Webuyanycar quoted me 14,260 and I arranged an appointment……He took the keys and inspected the car thoroughly. On his return he said 'Nice car'...then offerred me 13,800! I was not impressed as my car was in showroom condition and only covered 11000 miles”

I notice you left off the bit "After pressure I got him up to 14,050 which I accepted." and "overall a positive ... experience"

JMR24“Their online quote gave me a price of £4850. They told me to take it in for a valuation, which I did (the depot was only a 5 minute walk from where I live). The guy then came back and said it's only worth £4300”.

Again mis-quoted you left out the line "He pointed out all of the additional damage he had found."
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure