Contemplating bankruptcy - initial queries

Just been told by CAB that my debts - In excess of 22k (as a guesstimate) mean I cannot apply for a DRO and my next potential course of action might be to consider bankruptcy but have a few queries.

Initially is there a way of finding out ALL my current debts and creditors? I'm sure there are old debts which just haven't caught up with me and haven't kept paperwork/letters.

How long would I remain bankrupt?

How do I provide the OR with a budget? I've never worked to a budget and some debts are things I've just been unable to afford - like water rates - is there someone / an organisation able to help me write a budget to INCLUDE the things I'm currently unable to pay? Is there any kind of online / offline guide which would give me an example of what I would be permitted to budget for?

I Have to drive for my work, will I be allowed to keep my car and include tax, petrol and servicing within a post BR budget? Car is probably worth 2K, probably my only asset! Should I sell and buy something cheaper before BR, possibly using the difference to pay the BR fee? Would that be allowed?

I'm single, work 3 days a week due to a physical disability and rent a flat from the local council - is there any general guidelines on my potential 'allowed' living expenses? Would my wages and Tax Credits be frozen? I have no savings and minimal food at home generally - living week to week and buying just to feed me rather than stock cupboards and am terrified I won't be able to feed myself or pay utilities and rent should this happen!

Sorry for the length but it feels like a minefield and can't find the answers online

Comments

• debt_doctor
    debt_doctor Posts: 4,595 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Just been told by CAB that my debts - In excess of 22k (as a guesstimate) mean I cannot apply for a DRO and my next potential course of action might be to consider bankruptcy but have a few queries.

Initially is there a way of finding out ALL my current debts and creditors? I'm sure there are old debts which just haven't caught up with me and haven't kept paperwork/letters. You could obtain your credit reports as a guide to help you, but debts over 6 years old should not be there. The good thing about bankruptcy is that all of the debt you owe on the day you go BR is included whether you put it on the forms or not - so old debts turning up later are automatically covered.

How long would I remain bankrupt? 1 year

How do I provide the OR with a budget? I've never worked to a budget and some debts are things I've just been unable to afford - like water rates - is there someone / an organisation able to help me write a budget to INCLUDE the things I'm currently unable to pay? Is there any kind of online / offline guide which would give me an example of what I would be permitted to budget for? Someone will provide the link for our SOA tool. We can then comment on your budget.

I Have to drive for my work, will I be allowed to keep my car and include tax, petrol and servicing within a post BR budget? Car is probably worth 2K, probably my only asset! Should I sell and buy something cheaper before BR, possibly using the difference to pay the BR fee? Would that be allowed? If you can prove a NEED for a car you can keep it along with its associated costs. The guideline car value is around £1k - there is nothing wrong in doing as you suggest about getting a cheaper car.

I'm single, work 3 days a week due to a physical disability and rent a flat from the local council - is there any general guidelines on my potential 'allowed' living expenses? Would my wages and Tax Credits be frozen? I have no savings and minimal food at home generally - living week to week and buying just to feed me rather than stock cupboards and am terrified I won't be able to feed myself or pay utilities and rent should this happen! You will be able to afford your normal food and bills, bankruptcy allows for this.

Sorry for the length but it feels like a minefield and can't find the answers online
    I hope that helps a little.
    DD
    Debt Doctor, Debt caseworker, Citizens' Advice Bureau .
    Impartial debt advice services: Citizens Advice Bureau Find your local CAB *** National Debtline - Tel: 0808 808 4000*** BSC No. 100 ***
  • I hope that helps a little.
    DD

Indeed it does, What credit reports can I do myself? Is there a particular one that might help?
  • debt_doctor
    Take a look here...

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/credit-reports-available-online-for-all-consumers

You can either have the free reports - but MAKE SURE you cancel your subscription (see the rules) or you will start to pay a monthly fee
    OR
    You can obtain your statutory report for £2 each with no contract.
    DD
    Impartial debt advice services: Citizens Advice Bureau Find your local CAB *** National Debtline - Tel: 0808 808 4000*** BSC No. 100 ***
  • You can obtain your statutory report for £2 each with no contract.
    DD

More questions than answers - Credit report shows 3,550 debt including 2 CCJS, however I know I owe over 5k just in unpaid water, at least double that with HMRC and about 6K in council tax?!

I'm struggling ..
  • debt_doctor
    Hi,

As said earlier, the credit reports are a guide to what you might owe - nothing more.
    I'm a bit surprised your water debts are not on there, but you won't see HMRC or council tax on any credit report (that I'm aware of)

Again, all you have to do is put on the BR application what you know about - everything else is automatically included anyway.
    DD
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure