Help with Property Debt

Hello

A friend has confided in me that she is having major struggles with her property. She bought it for £80k some years ago, but it has had lots of issues including a bad damp problem & the boiler has been condemned so she's had no hot water for 6 months. She believes it may only be worth £50k now - although she is too scared to have it valued.

She has been burying her head in the sand majorly for years. She is so unhappy & doesn't know what to do next. How can I help? If she gets it valued & it is great less then what she borrowed, what happens? She's obviously not in a position to find £30k to pay it off.

I've promised I will help her. Ideally, she wants out of the property. She can move in with family short term while she finds her feet.

Any advice is greatly appreciated - I'm not very knowledgable on this subject & feel a bit helpless :-(

Comments

• fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,456 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Well, the first step is to get it valued. Tell us how much it's worth.

How much is the mortgage balance?

Is there anything else secured on the property such as a charging order or secured loan?
  • sophieboo
    sophieboo Posts: 95 Forumite
    Yes getting it valued definitely seems like a sensible start. I have a feeling her mortgage is interest only, so full amount still to pay unfortunately:-(
    I'm not sure re: last question.

What is the worst case scenario here?

Thanks in advance
  • fatbelly
    edited 8 August 2017 at 12:59PM
    So, actual numbers would be helpful.

Until we have the actual numbers we don't know whether she is in negative equity or not, or by how much

Local estate agents are the most reliable for a valuation, though Zoopla will give you a good idea.

The mortgage lender will give a settlement amount as of this month. Her credit report will give a 'balance' figure which should be more or less the same

The Land Registry entry (costs £3) will show what else, if anything, is secured against the property and will need to be cleared at the point of sale.
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi there,

Fatbelly is right, that we need real figures to help. It would also help to know if your friend has any other debts as that would likely affect her options.

Generally speaking, if she has any equity, she can look to sell and walk away with the equity remaining after selling fees and, if she has no other debts, use that money to help get herself set up in rented accommodation.

However, if there is negative equity it is more complex. She can still look to sell but the mortgage lender, or anything else secured, can object to a sale if the sale price won't satisfy everything that is secured. From here she would need to evaluate her situation on the whole. Would she be better to try and overpay the mortgage and improve the property, so that a sale would satisfy everything, or hand back the keys to the lender.

This is not as straight forward as it sounds, because she would still be liable for the mortgage payments until the house is sold, plus the council tax so this could end up creating more debt than it solves. Please post some figures, and hopefully we can help from there,

Laura
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • sophieboo
    sophieboo Posts: 95 Forumite
    Thanks. I've enquiried about valuations so will get some organised in the coming weeks. How many valuations should you get - 2?

Will update this as soon as I know more.

Thank you for getting back to me - it's much appreciated.
  • chevalier
    chevalier Posts: 7,937 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Not quite on point, but if she is struggling so much, is she on benefits? If she is i thought she was able to get a new boiler for free with a govt grant. Or have they stopped doing this now?
    good luck
    I want a job that is less than an hour driving away from my house! Are you listening universe?
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,585 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    You have not elaborated on her financial position other than the state of the house. Is she working or on benefits?

I would also get quotes for essential works from plumber for the boiler and a builder for the damp problem. That way she will know if it is worth getting these done prior to selling as it will sell for a better price if it is liveable. If it is in such a state it is not liveable the chances are buyers will have difficulty raising a mortgage on it.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • fatbelly
    That's good advice above.

From personal experience it's very difficult to find a buyer for a house with an obvious damp problem.
  • chevalier
    chevalier Posts: 7,937 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    i have not looked into this but here is a link about boilers
    http://freeboilergrant.org.uk/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2da5iOLO1QIV2QgqCh0BqA2QEAAYASAAEgK84_D_BwE

i hope this helps
    I want a job that is less than an hour driving away from my house! Are you listening universe?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure