Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*

Comments

• Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    Doc_N wrote: »
    I'm sure you're right. The one referred to was Nicky Elite (it's 3-ply) and the basic Nicky won't be as strong.

Nicky Elite is pretty widely available in discount stores such as Farmfoods though at £3.99 for 18, and it's vastly superior to the Aldi equivalent. I say that as a longstanding supporter of Aldi (and Lidl) too. :)

I've never been in a Farmfoods store and a quick Google tells me the nearest one is over 30 miles away which is double the distance of my nearest Aldi ;)
  • Feral_Moon wrote: »
    I've never been in a Farmfoods store and a quick Google tells me the nearest one is over 30 miles away which is double the distance of my nearest Aldi ;)

You've not lived!
  • There are a few different types of Nicky rolls, the Farmfood ones have Aloe Vera and smell lovely (and I am a bloke and we don`t care about these things :D)

Feral get to Farmfoods and buy some now :rotfl: (ok 30 miles is a bit far ;) )
  • Feral_Moon
    You've not lived!

I have absolutely no desire to buy cheap sub standard frozen food, thank you ;)
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,267
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Feral_Moon wrote: »
    I have absolutely no desire to buy cheap sub standard frozen food, thank you ;)

A little unfair, I think, from someone who admits to never having been inside one of their stores!

It isn't just frozen food, and it certainly isn't sub-standard.

In addition to frozen food we sell groceries, chilled foods, bread, milk, fresh fruit and vegetables along with a range of household items. Across our ranges you will find the brands you know and trust at prices you will love.

This is the sort of allegation that used to be made against Aldi and Lidl back in the early days! :)
  • VfM4meplse wrote: »
    No, but the croissants are delicious. I ate the best part of one before I even reached the till yesterday, I really should have paid first and eaten later :o

:eek:
    Oh nooo...the carbs!!! THE CARBS!!!!!!!!!!!

;):heart:
  • Wizard_of_Id
    Wizard_of_Id Posts: 5,512 Forumite
    Green and red grapes in Aldi @ £1.19 for 400g.
    Not sure if it national or local as the shop I was in had just re-opened after a refit.

Lidl have price match the grapes, £1.19/400g punnet
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    A little unfair, I think, from someone who admits to never having been inside one of their stores!

In addition to frozen food we sell groceries, chilled foods, bread, milk, fresh fruit and vegetables along with a range of household items. Across our ranges you will find the brands you know and trust at prices you will love.

This is the sort of allegation that used to be made against Aldi and Lidl back in the early days! :)

Well I have been in their shopping for over 13 years plus.

Their food quality has gone down over the years. As a company they need taking over.

And people knock Iceland!:wall:
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,491
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite

I go into Farmfoods most weeks but I'm very selective in what I buy.

I posted this on the Farmfoods/Heron thread back in August.

maman wrote: »
    I thought I'd post in case Farmfoods keep a check on the thread.

When I was in there today a customer came over to the checkout and asked for the price of various fruit and veg. The cashier apologised explained that they hadn't had time to label them up properly.

I asked him why and he said that they were very sort staffed because people had left because they were disillusioned. He said that Farmfoods keep cutting their hours but at the same time expecting them to do more.

That doesn't sound like a good employer.:(

It definitely sounds like a company ripe for take over. So many of their prices aren't competitive (with Aldi and Lidl) any more and what they have which is cheap is often junk. I'm pleased today to be getting to the bottom of a bag of chicken breasts that I definitely wont be replacing (full of salt water). I need some fish but the bags in Iceland (also 3 for £10) look much more appetising with decent fillets rather than scraps. So when I've room in the freezer I'll be off to Iceland.

My list for Farmfoods gets shorter and shorter: toilet rolls, kitchen roll, milk, bread (2 for £1 Allinsons 400g), frozen leeks and peas, occasional crisps and biscuits and sometimes fruit/veg if there's any left and the price is obvious!
  • Feral_Moon
    Iceland has actually improved a great deal. I hadn't been in a store for years but recently discovered they stock my favourite exotic meats (Kezie Foods) so I've been in a couple of times since and been pleasantly surprised each time.

I don't usually buy ready meals but tried some of their Chinese meals and they're really very good and cost much less than a takeaway. I think the half crispy duck was around £3/£4 and great value!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure