FTB Mortgage and credit card debts

Options
Hi

I have found my first house £130,000 and it is a new build. I am going down the help to buy scheme route.

Deposit 5% - £6500 in the bank

Debts 13000 credit cards

Salary £45k guaranteed with another £5k per year on top from adhoc work

Spoke to mortgage advisor and he has told me the first application has been deferred and he will know more tomorrow

Is this looking problematic?

Comments

• Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Safe to say that lenders aren't keen on borrowed deposits. Savings and debt doesn't reside in separate pots. You are £6.5k in debt. With no savings.

When you say adviser is this in house or external?
  • FTB-James
    FTB-James Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    it is an independent mortgage adviser who I have found

not sure if I have answered the question here or not?
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Your advisor is best placed to help you. Lenders do differ in their requirements. They also know your full circumstances.
  • muhandis
    muhandis Posts: 994 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    To get an idea of how much you might be able to borrow, please try out the detailed affordability calculator on the NW website https://www.nationwide-intermediary.co.uk/calculators/aff_calc being as specific as possible to the questions asked. It should not take more than 5-10 minutes. If your broker is half decent, he should have already given you an approx figure of how much you can realistically borrow.

One major aspect going in your favour is that the income multiple that you require is very low with a salary of 45k and the mortgage amount being £123k.

However, this being a Help2Buy for new builds, the range of lenders willing to lend on it is quite restricted which I'm sure your broker would have told you about.

An application being referred isn't necessarily bad news. Ours was referred because we lived in a flat and the address finder on the NW application system read it incorrectly. So wait till your broker tells you why it was referred.
    FTB-James wrote: »
    Hi

I have found my first house £130,000 and it is a new build. I am going down the help to buy scheme route.

Deposit 5% - £6500 in the bank

Debts 13000 credit cards

Salary £45k guaranteed with another £5k per year on top from adhoc work

Spoke to mortgage advisor and he has told me the first application has been deferred and he will know more tomorrow

Is this looking problematic?
  • FTB-James
    FTB-James Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks, that is really useful
  • minimike2
    minimike2 Posts: 2,210 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Pointing people to specific lender calculators is not really a great idea, or particularly in the spirit of what this forum is about.

Also the way in which you have done it / your wording makes it very suspicious that you work for Nationwide.
  • Jon_B_2
    Jon_B_2 Posts: 832 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    If I was a lender, I'd certainly be questioning why on a salary of £45k+, you have only amassed savings of £6.5k, yet have £13k on credit cards.

You effectively have no deposit here.
  • muhandis
    Options
    Haha that's hilarious :rotfl:. You think NW might be paying me for posting anonymously on this board?

I find NW's affordability calculator detailed but easy to use, hence why I point people towards it to get a rough idea of how much they can borrow.

When we got our FTB mortgage from NW, their systems were very poor with our application being referred twice - once because their system messed up our address and second because their underwriter made a mistake. Our broker had to chase the NW BDM non-stop to get it sorted and the whole process took double the time it should have. So I'm no more a fan of NW than you are.

Does that anecdote allay your suspicions about me being a sleeper agent for NW? :money:
    minimike2 wrote: »
    Pointing people to specific lender calculators is not really a great idea, or particularly in the spirit of what this forum is about.

Also the way in which you have done it / your wording makes it very suspicious that you work for Nationwide.
  • FTB-James
    Options
    So, I have been approved in principle so far. Need to send in bank statements, pay slips, proof of deposit etc... then need valuation.

I think this is looking positive?
  • muhandis
    Options
    Certainly a positive development but hold back from celebrating until you get a firm offer.

Do keep us updated when you hear back from the lender after sending in all the documentation.
    FTB-James wrote: »
    So, I have been approved in principle so far. Need to send in bank statements, pay slips, proof of deposit etc... then need valuation.

I think this is looking positive?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport