webuyanycar.com

Comments

• Please don't get me started on Carcraft - they may have got their act together since 2002 but I...okay, stick to the thread. I thought I'd look at seeing what 'they' thought my Alfa Spider was worth, it's a 2001 model, and yes, not the newest shape, but have had it valued after I'd done the necessary work. Local garages were will to sell at between 6,750 and 8,250. As it's a 6-speed upgrade and is basically immaculate, I thought I'd run a comparison.

WeStealYourCar.com came up with 3,310.

Say no more.

Bloody cowboys.
  • gner_ex
    gner_ex Posts: 285 Forumite
    UkCarAds wrote: »
    My top tip for anyone looking at finance is to ignore APR as 99% of you dont know what it actually means. You are far better asking what the FLAT RATE of interest is as this does not vary based on loan amount and repayment period.

Example: if you borrow £10,000 you could have an APR of 7% and the flat rate of 6.5%

or if you borrowed £5,000 your APR could be 15% but a flat rate of only 6%.

At first look it appears that for the 10,000 your interest is lower because of the lower APR but actually the interest rate is higher.

Hope this makes sence and
    You really think people will trust your feeble attempt at explaining how interest rates work, when you can't even spell the word "sense".

Price given for my car was £1400, and I have recently been offered £2200 cash by a trader, and £3000 part exchange (and would expect around the same price to sell privately) - what a waste of time - hope I'm not going to get a load of spam from them now.
  • Chris_f99
    Chris_f99 Posts: 5 Forumite
    UkCarAds wrote: »
    My top tip for anyone looking at finance is to ignore APR as 99% of you dont know what it actually means. You are far better asking what the FLAT RATE of interest is as this does not vary based on loan amount and repayment period.

Example: if you borrow £10,000 you could have an APR of 7% and the flat rate of 6.5%

or if you borrowed £5,000 your APR could be 15% but a flat rate of only 6%.

At first look it appears that for the 10,000 your interest is lower because of the lower APR but actually the interest rate is higher.

Hope this makes sence
    Oh by the way, just in case your wondering I have never worked for UK Car Group but have worked in the motor trade for many years.

Thanks for your "top tip". Pity it's not only factually incorrect and misleading, but just the sort of nonsense that car salesmen use to confuse people. (I know they have tried it with me in the past).

APR was brought in to *stop* dodgy explanations such as this guy's. It reflects the real cost of borrowing. If you want to know how much a loan will cost you, look at:

1) The APR

2) The total cost of borrowing.

Both must be stated by a lender.

If they try to tell you what "UKCarads" tell you, walk away or at least tell them to shut up and show you the APR.
  • stugib
    stugib Posts: 2,602 Forumite
    I found this thread a few days ago when I was considering using webuyanycar.com so thought I'd post my experience any future searchers.

Was looking to trade in my 40,000 mile '55 1.6 Focus for something more efficient but was only getting £5000 part-ex offers. Glass/Parkers said private sale price was about £6000.

So tried the site and got offered £5550 offer online, without entering any damage (as there wasn't anything obvious I knew about). Took it into the Peterborough office and everything was very open about how much they'd take off for each bit of damage (e.g. scratch £100, minor dent £50). He took a look and offered me £5400 for it because of a couple of minor dents he found. Didn't bother to haggle as I was trying to keep a straight face for 'making' £400 above the nearest best offer I'd had whilst avoiding the hassle of selling privately. Money arrived as promised 4 days later.

All in all very impressed with my dealings with them. It may have helped that I was selling something fairly new, still under warranty, and the Peterborough branch is literally an office not a CarCraft showroom so there was nothing to hard-sell me. That £400 made the difference between getting the car I wanted and having to settle for another model, so I'm very pleased I went ahead.

p.s. agree with the previous post on APR - lost track of the number of salesmen who have told me "don't worry about the APR, the car industry works on flat rates"
  • There a con, I entered the details for a 2004 Bentley Continental GT and they offered £250 for it! Yea right!
  • stugib
    stugib Posts: 2,602 Forumite
    dave_d wrote: »
    There a con, I entered the details for a 2004 Bentley Continental GT and they offered £250 for it! Yea right!

They're certainly not a con, but what you've probably shown is that they'll configure their pricing database to deter people with cars they can't easily re-sell via their Carcraft sites. I'm sure they'll shift my Focus at a good profit within a week or two, but I expect you'll be hard pushed to find a Bentley at Carcraft! I recommended them to a colleague and the price he was offered was a lot less than he wanted. Horses for courses.

Lots of companies work the same way, from insurance companies down to your local handyman who will price himself out of a job he doesn't want to do.
  • Stephb1986_2
    Stephb1986_2 Posts: 6,279 Forumite
    i used them once took my car to car crap at liverpool they inspected it and said they would give me less money than they quoted online! so i told them to shove it where the sun dont shine, it wqas a waste of time and wouldnt bother!

Steph xx
  • lisawaters
    lisawaters Posts: 2,081 Forumite
    All useful comments.... but I want to sell my S_TYPE Jag - where should I go for best price? Didn't get a single bite on Ebay or Autotrader.
  • Have now sold 2 7 series bmws through these guys in essex.

Reasonable price.

What is book price....parkers and what car prices are notoriously over the top.

Payment received in 4 days by bacs transfer.
  • philand7
    philand7 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Not very good in my opinion, they offered to buy my car at a very low price
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills