PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

basic bread recipe in breadmaker! help!!!

hello,

can anyone give me a basic recipe for bread in a breadmaker?

i have used a couple of recipes but always seems a little heavy

i know u lot are dead clever and know how to do it?

any tips gratefully recieved

thanks
'If you judge people, you have no time to love them'
Mother Teresa :D

Comments

• Zziggi
    Zziggi Posts: 2,485 Forumite
    I've been using the recipe(for a 1lb loaf):
    200ml water
    350g bread flour
    1tsp salt
    1 1/2 tablespoon sugar
    1 tablespoon dried milk powder
    1/2 oz. butter/marg
    1 tsp dried yeast. (allinson dried yeat)

this is the recipe suggested in the booklet that came with my machine but i've had unreliable results using this in my breadmaker.
  • dorry_2
    dorry_2 Posts: 1,427 Forumite
    thanks zziggi,

will get some yeast and flour tommorow!!
  • JAMIEDODGER
    JAMIEDODGER Posts: 4,339
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    this is the recipe i use in my breadmaker and it works (touch wood) everytime.

1/2 tsp yeast
    400g strong bread flour
    1 tbsp sugar
    15g butter
    1 tsp salt
    280ml water

jamie
    November NSD's - 7
  • dorry_2
    hya jamiedodger,

i have seen that strong bread flour in lidl, which one do u use ? or does it make any difference which one?
  • JAMIEDODGER
    JAMIEDODGER Posts: 4,339
    Forumite
    hi dorry
    i have used lidl's strong bread flour with really good results, but to be honest it doesnt matter what brand i usually go for whatever is cheapest as long as it is strong bread flour

jamie
    November NSD's - 7
  • BWZN93
    BWZN93 Posts: 2,182
    Forumite
    Im a bread novice, 'accidentally' ( :D ) picked up a big bag of white strong bread flour today as it was on offer for 50p in somerfield, and some of those allinson yeast sachets.

Anyway - how do you put ingredients in? I mean, throw it all in, and mix it all together? I dont have a breadmaker, so im going to attempt oven baked, but I simply dont know how to put all the ingredients together, and in what order. If some one could point me in the right direction, that would be appreciated!! :j :j :j (excited me - cant wait to get cracking!)

Jo xx
    #KiamaHouse
  • dorry_2
    hya jo,

i have just got adsa's white strong bread flour for 50p and yeast for 54p
    i have put all the ingredients in my breadmaker any order and switch it on and it needs the dough first then bakes the loaf. i am not sure how u do it by hand i am sure someone will know on here though!!

good luck!!

ps. i had to cook two batches today and first one was eaten by ds within a hour!! he said it was lovely, even oh commented on it at tea time !! so its definetly worth the effort of making it
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    jw1096 wrote:
    Im a bread novice, 'accidentally' ( :D ) picked up a big bag of white strong bread flour today as it was on offer for 50p in somerfield, and some of those allinson yeast sachets.

Anyway - how do you put ingredients in? I mean, throw it all in, and mix it all together? I dont have a breadmaker, so im going to attempt oven baked, but I simply dont know how to put all the ingredients together, and in what order. If some one could point me in the right direction, that would be appreciated!! :j :j :j (excited me - cant wait to get cracking!)

Jo xx
    There's a site about hand making bread HERE which looks like it'll give you a good start :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    Make sure you use luke-warm water when making your bread by hand.You need to check the yeast packet to find out wether it is an add to the dry ingredients version or wet ingredients.Allinsons dried in the orange tin is the wet ingredient kind if used by hand so you have to add it to luke warm,sugared water and leave till frothy but in the breadmaker,I can just add it last ontop of the flour.
    I found I had to reduce the sugar as it was far too sweet for us the way the breadmaking recipe recommended.We use only 1 tsp of sugar , the same of salt and 1tbsp milk powder.I dont put any kind of oil or fat in at all.
    If you continue to get disaster loaves,it might be the yeast is too old.
    The amount of water you need can vary from flour,to flour.One brand may have more moisture to begin with and need less water added than another brand.
  • mah_jong
    mah_jong Posts: 1,284
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    dorry wrote:
    hello,

can anyone give me a basic recipe for bread in a breadmaker?

i have used a couple of recipes but always seems a little heavy

i know u lot are dead clever and know how to do it?

any tips gratefully recieved

thanks

Have you got the correct yeast?? I got a regular one once and the difference is huge!!! Or rather small....a small dense loaf....so disappointing!! Make sure it says for breadmakers on it.

Which bread maker have you?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport