PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Quick Questions on ANYTHING Old Style 3 (See first post for links to other threads)

Options

Comments

• Skint_Catt
    Skint_Catt Posts: 11,548 Forumite
    Options
    White vinegar I presume? :o Thank you, C xx
  • Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Skint_Catt wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me how to get my towels baby soft again? They could rip my skin at the moment! I don't use conditioner or have a tumble dryer.
    Thanks, C xx

The only way I've ever found to get towels soft is to use a tumble drier. Vinegar doesn't do it.
  • tigerfeet2006
    tigerfeet2006 Posts: 14,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks Justamum. Must admit I haven't tried the vinegar thing but I have seen it recomended on here quite a few times.

I don't have a TD and live in a hard water area and don't use any fabric conditioner at all. When towels come out of the WM I give them a good shake and hang them up. Everything get hung on airers as I don't have a washing line. As I move things round the airer etc. I shake them again and before I fold them up to put them away I shake them out. Then when I get them out of the drawer I give them another shake. Don't seem to have any problems with scratchy towels.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    Options
    I'm making dinner for my BIL who is over just for a week and want to make something nice that he usually wouldn't have. He eats North African food, so couscous etc , tagine type things always with a sauce.
    Tomorrow I want to do pan-fried salmon, poached eggs and potato rosti. My dilemma is....... what type of sauce can I make to go with it? My dh hates 'dry' dinners. Everything has to have a sauce and I never know what to make with this type of dinner. I don't want to buy anything extra so I have:
    Reduced fat creme fraiche
    tinned toms
    flour/ milk/ butter etc for maybe white sauce
    lemon juice
    Various bits and pieces of frozen herbs, veg.

I MUST go to sleep now as I can hardly see straight! I will have a wee look in the morning and see what you geniuses have come up with!
    TIA
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
  • Eenymeeny
    Eenymeeny Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Can anyone advise me where I can buy cinnamon sticks cheaply please? (Just paid £1.89 for 4 at H&B would be grateful for any cheaper than that please) Thanks a lot.:)
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    :A:beer:
    Please and Thank You are the magic words;)
  • notjustlaura
    Options
    Eenymeeny wrote: »
    Can anyone advise me where I can buy cinnamon sticks cheaply please? (Just paid £1.89 for 4 at H&B would be grateful for any cheaper than that please) Thanks a lot.:)

£9.92 per 100g at Mr S.
    Household: Laura + William-cat
    Not Buying It in 2015
  • rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    Options
    Check out Asian grocers. You can get a bag of 300g for £2.29. There will be a big variation in depending what brand you get, but that is the price for the Fudco ones.
    I would buy the smallest pack that you need as it will lose some freshness after a few months in the cupboard.
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
  • Eenymeeny
    Eenymeeny Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Thanks to both of you. I knew that someone here could help. OH has decided to drink an 'infusion of cinammon sticks, ginger and honey' (antivral apparently) recommended to him by an Indian gentleman. I wondered if he would be getting it cheaper than I could buy it so he's probably using the Asian supermarkets. Thanks again :)
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    :A:beer:
    Please and Thank You are the magic words;)
  • Florenceem
    Florenceem Posts: 7,925 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    £9.92 per 100g at Mr S.
    I think you can get a lot in a jar at The Range.
    Decluttering Achieved - 2023 - 10,364 Decluttering Target - 2024 - 2,874 April - 252/300
    GC NSD 2023 - 242/365
    2023 Craft Makes - 245 Craft Spends 2023 - £676.03/£400
    Books read - 2023 - 37
    GC - 2024 4 Week Period £51.35/£100 NSD - 75
    2024 Craft Makes - 204 Craft Spends 2024 £295.23/£500
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi folks, daft question :o but can you get such a thing as a gadget for sliceing bread? I want to use my bread maker on a regular basis to save ££ but i'm absolutely useless at sliceing. :D
    Depends how technical you want to go.

Non tech option http://www.lakeland.co.uk/13173/EvenSlice other than a bread knife

Tech answer http://www.lakeland.co.uk/13665/My-Kitchen-Electric-Slicer
    If not too late, I think they USED to do an adjustable knife: it had a guide you screwed on at the side. Can't find it now, but it's like this. However, note that it doesn't work for left handers!!! So I'm forever finding the guide taken off.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport