Student Loans Confusion

Options
Hi all

On July 2015, I called the Student Loans company to find out my balance. My balance at the time was £23,075.80.

I called them today expecting a significant decrease and my balance was £22,120.88. That's only a £954.92 reduction.

How is that possible? I've never been unemployed since that period. And at the time, salary wise, I was on £32,000 a year. Since January, I've been on £48,000 a year.

Is the interest rate crazy high or something? :(
Only Student Loans to get rid off (Plan 1)

Comments

• grad101
    grad101 Posts: 34 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    When did you start and graduate university? It sounds like you're on plan 1 (started before 2012)? If so, your interest rate will be 3.1%. That's around £713 a year. On a salary of 32k you'll be paying a bit over £1280 a year for 2017, and I'm not sure how this stands for previous years - may be less. So yes, given the interest rates a reduction in your loan of only around £1000 over 2 years is not unusual (although depressing) as most of what you're paying is actually interest!

Remember that if you graduated in 2015 you also wouldn't automatically pay your SL until the following April.
  • zippygeorgeandben
    Options
    I've been on the phone to SLC today as well. It's such an archaic system. Why HMRC and SLC can't work together I have no idea. I don't trust the SLC. They'll be taking more than I owe for sure.
    Savings as of April 2023 Savings account - £26460.50(14474.88)Current account - £2140.24(4576.79)Total - £28600.74(19051.67) £1010 (£65pm CS/BS) £250 CS/BS/JS
  • Ciwan
    Ciwan Posts: 186 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I graduated in 2013, so yep I'm on Plan 1.

That's so depressing. Once I get rid of my Barclays Loan, I'll focus all my efforts on the Student Loans :(
  • peter3hg
    peter3hg Posts: 372 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 10 September 2017 at 11:25AM
    Options
    The interest rate isn't 3.1%. The plan 1 loans have a cap of the BoE base rate plus 1% so the rate is currently 1.25%. Prior to this it was 0.9% and 1.5%.
    http://www.studentloanrepayment.co.uk/portal/page?_pageid=93,6678642&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL

Did the figures they quoted include 2016/17 payments? They can be quite far behind sometimes.
  • fiisch
    fiisch Posts: 510 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I had the same confusion. The way the student loan repayments work seems a bit odd.

Money is deducted from your salary and held by HMRC until the end of the tax year. At that point, it is paid to the student loans company and the balance comes off the loan.

However, if you change jobs (oddly enough, I am in identical circumstances - same dates and salary increase, and similar outstanding balance!), it takes awhile for the second job's contributions to get deducted from the balance. I rang a few weeks ago, and the second jobs' balance still hadn't been deducted, but they said to check back at the end of September....!

Worse still, if you pay your student loan off mid way through a tax year, your employer will continue to take deductions from your salary - only at the end of the tax year will you get any monies owed come back to you.

They should have explained this to you over the phone - worth double-checking, but I suspect this is what has happened, and a further deduction off the balance is due.
  • Ciwan
    Options
    @Peter, yep they did include the 2016/2017 payments.

@fiisch, thanks, it is so silly the way it currently works and causes such a headache. I've still got a long way to go, but I'm going to start tracking my own payments to them, I don't trust them :(
  • ManicRower
    Options
    I once walked past a colleague photocopying a vast amount of docs and said something like 'blimey there will be no forests left when you've finished.' Turns out he had paid his student loan off many months ago, but due to the archaic HMRC/SLC system they had continued taking payments for a substantial amount of time after his balance had reached zero. He then had to photocopy and send off a load of his previous payslips as proof of payment so he could claim the money back off SLC.

To avoid this situation, make sure you keep your address updated so you get the yearly update. Then when you get down to £5k or so left, start to pay a bit more attention to your estimated SLC debt-free date.

Once you get to within a year of paying it off, start the process of switching to a direct debit payment rather than through salary sacrifice. This gives control to you and will ensure they don't continue to take money for months after you have paid it back.
  • dirtycredit
    Options
    Once you get to within a year of paying it off, start the process of switching to a direct debit payment rather than through salary sacrifice. This gives control to you and will ensure they don't continue to take money for months after you have paid it back.

They usually send you a letter to remind you to do this. They did with me anyway and there weren't any issues.

DC
    LBM-November 2019 - Total Debt £28,000/now £1500 1 more payment left!!!
  • Ciwan
    Options
    @ManicRower that's awesome advice, thank you.
  • zippygeorgeandben
    Options
    Yup - I've been through this and it'll be direct debts i think from November... student loan free in 13 months apparently. Only took me 8 years...
    Savings as of April 2023 Savings account - £26460.50(14474.88)Current account - £2140.24(4576.79)Total - £28600.74(19051.67) £1010 (£65pm CS/BS) £250 CS/BS/JS
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure