Cat pee ... at my wit's end

Comments

• lindze
    lindze Posts: 107 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I would look at Vicky Halls books and website UK cat behaviour expert, and watch Jackson Galaxy on You Tube. He often deals with inappropriate cat peeing BUT the likelihood is that you need to increase the amount of litter trays for now and, when there is improvement, start taking them away until there are just two left. The rule of thumb is one litter tray per cat +1 even if they are temporarily in really awkward places :(

Cat pee is horrid so I do feel for you. Vicky Halls does telephone consultations but I think they are £50 for half an hour, I have used her and she sorted my cat issue out in one call.
  • ljonski
    ljonski Posts: 3,337 Forumite
    Do your dogs have something to do with making the cat feel at unease?
    "if the state cannot find within itself a place for those who peacefully refuse to worship at its temples, then it’s the state that’s become extreme".Revd Dr Giles Fraser on Radio 4 2017
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If she's a nervy cat could you try her with one of those covered litter trays?
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• *~Zephyr~* wrote: »
    Sounds like she could be a bit nervy, bless her.

My friend's cat is quite a stress, jumpy cat and he started peeing in the lounge when a bigger cat moved into the street. The vet recommended they feed him Royal Canin Calm kibble and after a few days of being on that the peeing stopped.

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/dry_cat_food/royal_canin_feline_vet_diet/356888?gclid=CjwKEAiA0fnFBRC6g8rgmICvrw0SJADx1_zAi-gnlzVUJ4t18uEvlAe6o3Yuof_EcF0y8WPPYBlXRxoC5dHw_wcB#

Fast forward a couple of years and they ran out of the RC food and within 2 weeks, he was back peeing in the lounge.

Cube: mad scrabble to buy more RC!!

Feeding a cat stuff like this does more harm than good.
    Have you seen the ingredients in it?

Poultry protein (dried), corn, rice, wheat gluten*, maize gluten, animal protein (hydrolysed), vegetable fibres, animal fat, beet pulp, minerals, fish oil, psyllium (claddings and seeds), soya oil, fructo-oligo-saccharides, borage oil, milk protein (hydrolysed), marigold extract (source of lutein).

The majority of the ingredients shouldn't ever be given to a cat.
    Cats end up with all kinds of issues due to wheat ingestion and lack of decent proteins and fats.
  • K9sandFelines
    K9sandFelines Posts: 2,568 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    edited 17 March 2017 at 12:55AM
    GwylimT wrote: »
    How many cats do you have? The rule is one litter tray per cat and a spare.

Is the pee area near an exit of the house? Urinating here is often a sign that the animal is attempting to force another out of 'their' territory.

A kilogram is a lot, how quickly was this lost? Fast weight loss in cat can cause kidney and liver problems, which in turn can cause urinary issues.

Have you used zyklene or pet remedy?

Unless she has had a full blood work done at her annual check I would take her back to the vets.

She sometimes pees near the front door though this is infrequent, but most often it is in the hall which is not by any exit points though it is by the front and back sitting room doors.

We have six cats but four litter trays on the go, as half the cats don't go in the litter trays at all they go ouside. So this is ample for the cats that's that do use them, couldn't possibly fit six plus litter trays in the house. However, i am aware tgat it should be 1:1 plus a spare.

Shes lost a lkilo over the course of a year not all in one go, and the vet was not concerned about it, so i trust that in this instance it is okay. I have used zyklene in the past, but not for this cat. I haven't used pet remedy ... definitely something to consider there (can you suggest a good place to purchase it)?. She hasn't had full bloodwork, but has been doing this since we moved in the house nearly three years ago. I feel as the vet hasnt suggested this and doesn't seem concerned, that she is returning because i haven't fully eliminated the smell, however of course i wouldn't rule this out entirely.
    GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb £137.18 Mar £103.76 as of 6/4/24
    Forever learning the art of frugality
  • K9sandFelines
    SWB wrote: »
    Try Hydrogen Peroxide with one tbs of Bicarb and a drop of washing up Liquid to clean up and remove the smell?
    It can be sprayed, poured, wiped on carpet and cement.
    It is supposed to removed all the smell so they dont re-offend?
    I hope that helps?

Thanks so much. I had forgotten about this cocncoction ... I used to do it when my dog eas elderly and had to clean up accidents. Forgotten all about it.
    GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb £137.18 Mar £103.76 as of 6/4/24
  • K9sandFelines
    adonis wrote: »
    Cystitis is a possibility, try cystophan,

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/protexin-veterinary-cystophan-30-caps-(online-only)

I pay less than eight pounds from Animed direct for it with free delivery and as it is a supplement you dont need a prescription.

Never even thought about cystitis .. I will look into that also.
  • K9sandFelines
    lindze wrote: »
    I would look at Vicky Halls books and website UK cat behaviour expert, and watch Jackson Galaxy on You Tube. He often deals with inappropriate cat peeing BUT the likelihood is that you need to increase the amount of litter trays for now and, when there is improvement, start taking them away until there are just two left. The rule of thumb is one litter tray per cat +1 even if they are temporarily in really awkward places :(

Cat pee is horrid so I do feel for you. Vicky Halls does telephone consultations but I think they are £50 for half an hour, I have used her and she sorted my cat issue out in one call.

Wow never heard of Vicky Hall but have watched lots of Jackson Galaxy, so will revisit to see if i can find any mention or shows with similar happenings.

As explained above we have four litter trays as the rest of the cats go outside. She doesn't go in any of them. So not sure where she actually goes unless shes either doing it secretly or peeing in area we don't know about.
  • K9sandFelines
    ljonski wrote: »
    Do your dogs have something to do with making the cat feel at unease?

I don't have any dogs, just cats! Puppy pads where mentioned above fornuse with the cat accidents. They did used to live with a dog, who they had all grown up with since kittens but sadly she passed away some years ago now. She never lived in this house where she has been peeing.
  • K9sandFelines
    Slinky wrote: »
    If she's a nervy cat could you try her with one of those covered litter trays?

All my cat litter trays are covered ones, she just doesn't use them as far as i am aware or does so in secret.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport