PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Making an offer on a 'To-Let' property (rather than 'For Sale' property)

Hi all, long-time lurker here with my first post:

Is it possible to make a purchase offer on a property which is only advertised as 'To Let' (as opposed to 'For Sale')? I'm a first-time buyer, and the area that I'm looking is going through a bit of a dry spell in terms of new properties for sale on the market (the previous 2 years or so it's been non-stop action).

However, there are a lot of properties To Let that have been sitting untouched for several months with no developments, and given that buy-to-let is starting to lose it's appeal I was wondering if making an offer is a good idea? Does anyone have any experience/advice/pointers in this scenario, or should I just take a punt and make an offer?

Cheers

Comments

• always_sunny
    always_sunny Posts: 8,314 Forumite
    I thought you could make an offer on anything really, whether it gets accepted on terms you like it's a different story.
    EU expat working in London
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,407 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    ... or should I just take a punt and make an offer?

It probably makes sense to ask the owner if they might consider selling first, before diving in and making an offer.

Plus bear in mind that if you make an unsolicited approach to buy a property that is not on the market - the owner will probably assume that you are very keen (or even desperate) to buy it. So negotiating a good price might be difficult - especially if the owners are professional investors.
  • the owner will probably assume that you are very keen (or even desperate) to buy it

This was something else I was weary of, but at the same time, anybody who's looking to gain income from letting a property will be equally desperate to ensure their property isn't empty.

A desperation stand-off..?
  • Tiners
    Tiners Posts: 232 Forumite
    Nothing wrong with making an approach, although most ''accidental'' landlords are usually only ''accidental'' landlords because they're too stubborn, greedy and deluded to accept that their property isn't worth what what they'd like to think it's worth.
  • ognum
    ognum Posts: 4,840 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi all, long-time lurker here with my first post:

Is it possible to make a purchase offer on a property which is only advertised as 'To Let' (as opposed to 'For Sale')? I'm a first-time buyer, and the area that I'm looking is going through a bit of a dry spell in terms of new properties for sale on the market (the previous 2 years or so it's been non-stop action).

However, there are a lot of properties To Let that have been sitting untouched for several months with no developments, and given that buy-to-let is starting to lose it's appeal I was wondering if making an offer is a good idea? Does anyone have any experience/advice/pointers in this scenario, or should I just take a punt and make an offer?

Cheers

Just a quick note on advertising rental property. I have recently had two tenants give notice. Both properties were taken within 48 hours of appearing on RM.

Tenants then have to be referenced and the property will stay on RM until the day they move in which in one case is two months as the tenants gave 7 weeks notice and I always have a void week to get jobs done.

If as you say there is a dearth of property available I would be unlikely to sell unless you offered a fantastic price but others may be different.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    "everything is negotiable".

Talk to the agent, make a reasonable offer (even if the agent says they arent interested).

Don't assume they will be desperate to sell just because they haven't found a tenant yet, if they were it would already be for sale !
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 19 April 2017 at 5:01PM
    Our last rental property was advertised on Rightmove for about 3 days and then removed as it had been let. However if you had been to look at it, it would have been vacant for about 3 weeks while the references were done and while the new tenants worked out when they wanted to move in.

Some rental properties are advertised as soon as tenants give notice so can be on Rightmove for several weeks. It doesn't mean that they are not letting it is just the way that a particular lettings agency works.

The properties that really are vacant for weeks and weeks on end and not let are going to have a lot of problems. Something like there is no parking outside, or they are on a busy main road, or miles from anywhere with no decent parking space. They may be on the lettings market because they are difficult to sell or the owner won't accept that they will have to sell them cheaply because of some problem.

We have in the past had offers to buy from tenants living in the properties but it is not our policy to sell our carefully chosen rental properties.
  • ognum wrote: »
    Just a quick note on advertising rental property. I have recently had two tenants give notice. Both properties were taken within 48 hours of appearing on RM.

Tenants then have to be referenced and the property will stay on RM until the day they move in which in one case is two months as the tenants gave 7 weeks notice and I always have a void week to get jobs done.

If as you say there is a dearth of property available I would be unlikely to sell unless you offered a fantastic price but others may be different.

Thanks, that's really useful to know. For you personally, would you ever get to a stage where a lack of rental demand would lead you to sell, or would you simply keep lowering your rental demands until there was interest?
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Thanks, that's really useful to know. For you personally, would you ever get to a stage where a lack of rental demand would lead you to sell, or would you simply keep lowering your rental demands until there was interest?

The people who are running successful lettings businesses don't buy properties that won't let. They do their research as to what lets well and they buy a property that they know will work well as a rental. They don't just go out and buy any old property and put it on the market as a rental. The rental properties are carefully chosen to meet a certain rental market. So it is unlikely that any of the professional landlords would have properties which didn't let.
  • AlexMac
    AlexMac Posts: 2,982 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Can't add to the above... but

Where I live there is such a shortage of sale properties that EAs leaflet us almost weekly, bragging that they've sold a property/ies in the street and begging for the chance to tempt you to sell with a valuation.

And I've heard of individuals leafleting a whole are, not just the BTL properties, with a similar request in case anyone's thinking of sellin but is too idle to pick up the phone to an EA...

Dunno how effective either tactic is...

But worth a try? Good luck. Our last two houses have been accidental discoveries - in an area or street, or of a type which were not really on our radar or within our search criterai...

... so maybe widen your horizons?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport