Night Working in the NHS - Health Assessments

Anyone here know whether the NHS offers health assessments to its staff who regularly (or permanently) work night shifts?

I thought this was a requirement for all employers to offer but am hearing that it does not happen.

Comments

• Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,786 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    It's a requirement, but the assessment can just be a tick box questionnaire rather than a medical

https://www.gov.uk/night-working-hours/health-assessments
  • anamenottaken
    anamenottaken Posts: 4,198 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Andy_L wrote: »
    It's a requirement, but the assessment can just be a tick box questionnaire rather than a medical

https://www.gov.uk/night-working-hours/health-assessments

Even when it is just a tick box questionnaire it is supposed to be looked at by a qualified medical person (whatever that means) and the employer is supposed to be keeping records of making the offer and regularly repeating the offer even when staff decline it.

I am hearing it is not even offered - or night staff are so tired they don't realise it has been offered.

I've asked at my place of work (I'm not a night worker myself but concerned that the organisation should behave in line with the law!) but been roundly told I don't know what I'm talking about.

• I've asked at my place of work (I'm not a night worker myself but concerned that the organisation should behave in line with the law!) but been roundly told I don't know what I'm talking about.

Are you saying that your NHS employing trust doesn't offer this when it should? I'd ask your union.
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I know I had one because theoretically I'm on call for something like 8 nights a year. It was a paper questionnaire in the new employee paperwork along with PVG forms and the like and it said at the bottom that it would be reviewed by the occupational health team, it also asked if I would allow my employer access to my medical records if anything flagged on the questionnaire.
  • Art_Deco
    Art_Deco Posts: 188 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic
    Anyone here know whether the NHS offers health assessments to its staff who regularly (or permanently) work night shifts?

I thought this was a requirement for all employers to offer but am hearing that it does not happen.
    We were talking about this on nights last week , not one person i work with has ever been offered a health check ive worked there 34 years and never had one, others around the same and newer starters have not been offered it, We spoke to the ward matron who had never heard of it so we looked at the policy and its supposed to be offered before starting any night work so they have a baseline to work from oh well 34 years too late,!!: im struggling alot at the moment because since e-rostering we do a mix of early lates and nights all mixed up in the same week it takes its toll on your health.:(
  • anamenottaken
    Are you saying that your NHS employing trust doesn't offer this when it should? I'd ask your union.

No. I don't now work in the NHS but in an organisation which employs former NHS staff, including the leadership who seem to have the view that if they don't have experience of these health assessments being offered then clearly I am wrong suggesting that the law requires them to do so.

I shall leave it for a short while to give them a chance to think of checking for themselves, perhaps ask their preferred HR consultant and let them come up with the idea themselves.
  • anamenottaken
    Art_Deco wrote: »
    We were talking about this on nights last week , not one person i work with has ever been offered a health check ive worked there 34 years and never had one, others around the same and newer starters have not been offered it, We spoke to the ward matron who had never heard of it so we looked at the policy and its supposed to be offered before starting any night work so they have a baseline to work from oh well 34 years too late,!!: im struggling alot at the moment because since e-rostering we do a mix of early lates and nights all mixed up in the same week it takes its toll on your health.:(

At least you have a policy on it!
  • anamenottaken
    GlasweJen wrote: »
    I know I had one because theoretically I'm on call for something like 8 nights a year. It was a paper questionnaire in the new employee paperwork along with PVG forms and the like and it said at the bottom that it would be reviewed by the occupational health team, it also asked if I would allow my employer access to my medical records if anything flagged on the questionnaire.

That's really interesting as I think that goes beyond what is required by law as you are not regularly engaged in night working.
  • Art_Deco
    Art_Deco Posts: 188 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic
    At least you have a policy on it!
    Yes we have a policy on just about everything, but its finding time to get on the computers at work to find them Ive just clicked on the link and it is before starting night work , think i might bring it up again tomorrow and ask why we werent offered it.:rotfl:
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    That's really interesting as I think that goes beyond what is required by law as you are not regularly engaged in night working.

Judging by the pack of paperwork it's given to everyone who starts, I can't remember if I got one in my first new start pack but if it hadn't asked for medical record disclosure I would have filled it in and returned it without thinking about it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure