Account on Credit File in Status 'Default'

2»

Comments

• tain
    tain Posts: 711
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Can I politely ask if anyone knows about a credit file showing a status of 'default,' when the account was settled 5 years ago please?
  • Chappaz
    Chappaz Posts: 138
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    tain wrote: »
    Can I politely ask if anyone knows about a credit file showing a status of 'default,' when the account was settled 5 years ago please?

If the account was settled and closed 5 years ago, the entire account (including the default) should drop off after 6 years, so in one year's time.
  • tain
    Forumite
    Chappaz wrote: »
    If the account was settled and closed 5 years ago, the entire account (including the default) should drop off after 6 years, so in one year's time.

I understand that. It's the current 'status' that I'm querying, rather than when defaults disappear.
  • StopIt
    StopIt Posts: 1,470 Forumite

You've already had the answer, you contact the CRA in question.

If they haven't updated your credit file in a timely fashion (Give it a month or so), you ask again. If they don't help, you raise a complaint and if they don't comply raise a complaint with the ICO.

You've done the first thing, but haven't waited for the 2nd bit. Come back in a month and then see if Experian have updated your files correctly. if not, go to the next stage, etc.

In debt and looking for help? Look here for the MSE Debt Help Guide.
    Also, If you need any free and impartial debt advice, the National Debtline, Stepchange, and the CAB can help.
  • tain
    Forumite
    StopIt wrote: »
    You've already had the answer, you contact the CRA in question.

If they haven't updated your credit file in a timely fashion (Give it a month or so), you ask again. If they don't help, you raise a complaint and if they don't comply raise a complaint with the ICO.

You've done the first thing, but haven't waited for the 2nd bit. Come back in a month and then see if Experian have updated your files correctly. if not, go to the next stage, etc.

I understand the process. I've outlined that.

I asked if anyone on here knew the answer, as waiting a month or two for Experian to pull their finger out doesn't help a mortgage application. I'm guessing the answer is 'no', no one on here does know the answer. Which is strange, given then number of responses.
  • StopIt
    I understand the process. I've outlined that.

I asked if anyone on here knew the answer, as waiting a month or two for Experian to pull their finger out doesn't help a mortgage application. I'm guessing the answer is 'no', no one on here does know the answer. Which is strange, given then number of responses.

It may not, but that's the breaks. There's a complaints procedure, like I said, but you need to give Experian a chance to do their duty updating your file. If they don't, you follow the official complaints procedure.

No, you cannot short-circuit that, no, just because you want to make an application now (And a mortgage broker should see a up to date report when they push through a check, where-as you only see a monthly report on Experian) will not change this.

What else do you want to know? An old default, settled or not will still affect an application, which you should be seeing a good broker to begin with who can advise you properly. The difference between seeing a Settled Default and an Unsettled one wont be a any great difference on a 5 year old default so long as your credit history since has been in good standing.

Also, If you need any free and impartial debt advice, the National Debtline, Stepchange, and the CAB can help.
  • tain
    Forumite
    StopIt wrote: »
    It may not, but that's the breaks. There's a complaints procedure, like I said, but you need to give Experian a chance to do their duty updating your file. If they don't, you follow the official complaints procedure.

No, you cannot short-circuit that, no, just because you want to make an application now (And a mortgage broker should see a up to date report when they push through a check, where-as you only see a monthly report on Experian) will not change this.

What else do you want to know? An old default, settled or not will still affect an application, which you should be seeing a good broker to begin with who can advise you properly. The difference between seeing a Settled Default and an Unsettled one wont be a any great difference on a 5 year old default so long as your credit history since has been in good standing.

I didn't ask any of that, but thanks for taking the time to tell me what you think.

If anyone knows if a settled account can or should still show the status as 'default' on their credit file, I will be very grateful.
  • StopIt
    Well, since the information is there publicly on Experians website?

I’ve paid a default, what happens next?
    Once paid the account is updated to show as satisfied and a satisfaction date may be recorded.
    Making a payment will not change the default date, or the date it comes off your credit report.
    If a partial settlement is agreed then a flag will be added to the entry to show this and the account marked as satisfied.
    Importantly the default date will not change and the account will still be removed 6 years from the default date.

No, the default doesn't go away, it'll just be marked as Default: Satisfied instead of Default: Unsettled.

That's the change that Experian should be making for you, and what my initial reply was referring to for you to contact Experian for them to sort out. Once they do, it'll be updated and say when the default was satisfied. If it does not update, raise a complaint as stated like 5 times. Anything else?

• tain
    Forumite
    For someone offering help, you've been pretty rude and condescending.

You could have answered my question with a single word - 'yes'. Instead, you decided you needed to give advice, and I simply HAD to follow it, despite not having my question answered.

I had already gone to Experian and asked for details. I had already been given a response from them. Their response is not what you have copy and pasted, so I don't feel I should apologise for being misled by Experian. I am already progressing it as a complaint, but being well informed prior to progressing this isn't something I feel I need to be spoken rudely regarding. It's a sensible thing to do, despite you telling me otherwise.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure