PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

DIY Conveyancing - Seller's solicitor won't accept my money

Options

Comments

• societys_child
    societys_child Posts: 7,110 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 26 January 2017 at 9:39PM
    Options
    DaftyDuck wrote: »
    From limited experience, it's less the closed shop, more that dealing with an amateur tends to mean more work for the other solicitor, more unshared legal and financial responsibility, and more likelihood of monumental c0ck-ups. The financial probity side of things is also obviously a concern.
    I still maintain for the most part, 'keeping it in family' is (or was) their primary concern.

We see on this site a number of disasters caused by poor solicitors, and rather more by cheap on-line conveyancing sweatshops. Imagine the increased likelihood of such chaos from the hands of mere amateurs (G_M excluded, of course).
    The only "mere amateurs" I know who conducted their own conveyancing were well ahead of the game and often complained of the ineptitude of the solicitors they had to deal with!

Would you like to be the fixed-fee solicitor who had to empty that stable-full of horse manure - and keep your own client happy?
    See previous^ answer
    It's academic now anyway, ML adds a new obstacle and they can insist they'll only deal other solicitors.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have DIY'd in the past - but not recently. And we all know that money-laundering checks are tighter these days.

Pointless and stupid of course. The Russian !!!!! bosses and most serious UK criminals are well versed in money-laundering and have off-shore company aconts etc etc. The people hit by the new rules are us ordinary folk forced to jump through pointless hoops......

In this case there are x options:

* pull out, find a new property and hope it works ext time
    * persuade your seller to put pressure on his solicitor and change his mind (unlikely)
    * pay the seller'ssoliitor to do money -laundering checks (again unlikely. He'll claim conflict of interest...)
    * find a solicitor prepared to do the money-laundering checks for you to satisfy the seller's solicitor
    * give up and use a conveyancing solicitor

I think it would be a real shame if this became the normal reaction and DIY conveyancing was buried.

edit: my is the word m a f i a censored....?
  • Bossypants
    Bossypants Posts: 1,273 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My father did it once back in the early 90's and encountered a similar attitude from the other party's solicitor (I forget whether he was buying or selling). He insisted and the other side grudgingly relented. The transaction went through without issue, but he says it was a lot more faff than it looked - not difficult, just a bitty and annoying process - and he wouldn't do it again unless he had to.

One thing which might be worth considering is that certain bodies you might need to deal with (local council, Land Registry) have separate processes for professionals and members of the public. For the Land Registry especially, I believe that solicitors have access to their online submissions portal, whereas you would need to submit applications for changes through the post. That's not a reason you couldn't still do it yourself, just something to bear in mind when making the decision.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I sold my father's bungalow in the early 1990s (pre-tightening up on rules) as a DIY, using a library book to draft the documents.

The buyers' solicitor was quite happy with this, just asking me to alter a sentence and add that there had been a no comeback deal, where the buyers were given a small discount, after a small leak damaged a wall that the buyers were going to demolish anyway. (The latter was in my favour as it meant the buyers could not demand any more money should the damage be worse than suspected.)
  • diy_er
    Options
    No
    Hi Guys,

I have just read the entire thread...

I've joined cos i got the same issue, namely solicitor needs the funds to go through another solicitor, because of ML.

The sellers solicitor have told me really i need to get the solicitor to do the conveyancing - why? ... he says its complex and they didn't go to law school for years for no reason!

Yet i can tell you over the years through family and friends how many incompetent solicitors we've encountered!

I'm a cash buyer ...'just' (if i hire a solicitor i will have to get a loan) the property is freehold, surely you can do the conveyancing yourself and just get funds ML checked by an solicitor?

Thanks for any advice in advance.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes
    diy_er wrote: »
    if i hire a solicitor i will have to get a loan

Seriously. For such a small sum of money......
  • alchemist.1
    Options
    Yes
    It will be interesting whether a solicitor would be prepared to deal with ML checks and taking on the responsibility for nominal sum passing through their accounts.

Ending up with criminal proceedings and ruining your career because someone wants to pay a fixed fee of less than 200.00 or so probably isnt worth it.
  • diy_er
    Options
    No
    @Thrugelmir

£1,500 + may small to you...:question:

But when I'm paying every single penny of my savings for this house, it would be nice to save a grand or so, besides i HATE solicitors they think they are ABOVE ordinary folk...!

NOT to brag... to do the conveyancing should be easy for me why?

Couple of years ago i wanted a patent for a very simple idea, you can imagine what these patent lawyers wanted!

Long story short, 2 weeks all in my spare time did the whole thing myself drawings/wording including submission and it got APPROVED!

Good job i never paid a bean to these rip-off patent lawyers (all they sell is FEAR) ...because no company was interested in the idea, so i binned it!:eek:

But heyhoo a great experience - plus i have another feather in me cap!
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    @Thrugelmir

£1,500 + may small to you...:question:

But when I'm paying every single penny of my savings for this house, it would be nice to save a grand or so, besides i HATE solicitors they think they are ABOVE ordinary folk...!

NOT to brag... to do the conveyancing should be easy for me why?

Couple of years ago i wanted a patent for a very simple idea, you can imagine what these patent lawyers wanted!

Long story short, 2 weeks all in my spare time did the whole thing myself drawings/wording including submission and it got APPROVED!

Good job i never paid a bean to these rip-off patent lawyers (all they sell is FEAR) ...because no company was interested in the idea, so i binned it!:eek:

But heyhoo a great experience - plus i have another feather in me cap!
    Well, I expect someone as cunning as you will be able to solve this minor problem without needing anybody else's advice!
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've joined cos i got the same issue, namely solicitor needs the funds to go through another solicitor, because of ML.
    I'm not surprised - this seems to be the norm now.

The sellers solicitor have told me really i need to get the solicitor to do the conveyancing - why? ... he says its complex and they didn't go to law school for years for no reason!
    Ignore.

I'm a cash buyer ...'just' (if i hire a solicitor i will have to get a loan)
    I agree with others about your finances. Buying always throws up unexpected costs so you need a contingency fund.

But I disagree with others - if you can (safely) save £1K, why not?

the property is freehold, (tick) surely you can do the conveyancing yourself and just get funds ML checked by an solicitor?
    I would have thought you could pay to get the money laundering checks done.

Just as you can ay a solicitor to do the ID check when submitting a TR1 (transfer form) yourself to the Land Registry.

So ring round a few local solicitors, explain, and get a quote if you can. Obvious really - I don't see how anyone here can help.......

As for te DIY conveyancing, I assume/hope

* it's a registered property
    * there are no awkward conveyances or Deeds mentioned in the registered Title (which you've looked at of course), with awkward covenants
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure