Motorists, what to do about cyclists who constantly break the high way code???

Comments

• Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    NBLondon wrote: »
    He's afraid of brat and Marco Panettone
    I think he's a she and she is only interested in her own small world.

"motorists have to accept they are the cash cows of TFL and london boroughs"
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    edited 14 October 2016 at 9:08AM
    People need to stop, look at this guys thread history........

I'm concerned that this guy is looking for support in his cyclist hatred, such that he'll feel it justifiable to go out and attack/kill one.
    People do this and they act entirely as though they're doing so with the support of everyone around them.

Look here.......... http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5312935

OP is complaining about cyclists using "fog horns". Clearly OP has already driven aggressively and too close to a number of cyclists.

Statistically speaking, the number of cyclists using air horns is as high as the number using helmet cams, so I would not be surprised to find a video of OP on Youtube somewhere.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Pixie5740 wrote: »
    Like anything there are courteous drivers and courteous cyclists just like there are moronic drivers and moronic cyclists.

Exactly!

However, as drivers we label bad drivers as (for example) Audi/BMW drivers, so we can identify them and stay out of their way.

But when we see a bad cyclist, we tend to lump them all together and then because they're on bicycles (seen as a childs toy) instead of a status symbol, we see them as though they're treating the road as a playground and feel it's somehow our duty to teach them a lesson.

I am primarily a driver, i'm a leisure cyclist, I transport my bike to the local MTB trails and I stay off the roads. I do have a hybrid that I bought for commuting, but my GF asked me not to, said that other drivers are too dangerous.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Sorry I deleted my post after I read yours Strider590 about the OP's vendetta against cyclists.
  • Johno100
    Johno100 Posts: 5,259
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 14 October 2016 at 10:25AM
    Strider590 wrote: »
    Exactly!

However, as drivers we label bad drivers as (for example) Audi/BMW drivers, so we can identify them and stay out of their way.

But when we see a bad cyclist, we tend to lump them all together and then because they're on bicycles (seen as a childs toy) instead of a status symbol, we see them as though they're treating the road as a playground and feel it's somehow our duty to teach them a lesson.

Sorry, but how is it any more acceptable to lump Audi and BMW drivers together than to do so with cyclists?

Anyway we know there aren't any bad cyclists out there, the miscreants are "people on bikes" not cyclists.
  • Tilt wrote: »
    Ahh London. And the following buffoon of a mayor, Boris Johnson came up with the idea of the cycle super-highway through London costing quite a few quid and loads of congestion while it was built. The result? Well ok it's taken a few cyclists off the road BUT it seems they are now in conflict with each other!! :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3834940/Rider-s-risky-overtake-causes-calamitous-crash-sending-cyclists-sprawling-floor-congested-superhighway-track.html

Wow, that is a shocking crash. I bet there were a few bruises.

Fortunately cars never crash into each other. Can you imagine the carnage if that were to ever happen.
  • Tilt
    Tilt Posts: 3,599 Forumite
    ^^ Lights are problematic, they require planning and forethought, making sure one has enough batteries to last the week, or using rechargeable and having a spare set on charge every day, or using USB rechargable lights and hoping your boss isn't the sort of power tripping moron that won't let you use a power socket at work to recharge them. All this and then some little toe rag steals them off your bike.

There's a lot more to it than you think, bikes don't have the luxury of a constantly replenishing power supply. It seems too easy for drivers to judge what they don't understand.

Not to mention the crazy drivers who think that a cyclist with bright lights "thinks they're better than everyone else" and make it their mission to teach them a lesson.

All these (Err) reasons may be valid. But at the end of the day there are NO excuses for a cyclist to be rising at night with no lights on. Oh... and it's against the law, I believe.
    PLEASE NOTE
    My advice should be used as guidance only. You should always obtain face to face professional advice before taking any action.
  • Tilt
    That won't hold........... Those lights will be in road, smashed to bits in seconds and drivers won't avoid hitting them, they'll almost certainly make a beeline for them.

As for batteries, one set might last all week, but what if it doesn't? What if you leave them on one day? With the cost of batteries most people won't go out and buy several packs OR carry backups, so if those batteries run out on Wednesday morning, what are you going to do?

These aren't excuses, these are real life situations, it's not my problem that some drivers are too blinded by ignorance to see it, just as so many drivers don't understand why cyclists might want to ride away from the "door zone" or avoid drain covers.
    People shouldn't be judging what they don't understand.

Really? What do you suggest then... no lights at all? The guy in the in link thought so but look what happened to him.

http://www.whtimes.co.uk/news/death_of_welwyn_garden_city_violinist_a_tragic_accident_says_coroner_1_1115588
    PLEASE NOTE
    My advice should be used as guidance only. You should always obtain face to face professional advice before taking any action.
  • Tilt
    Nobbie1967 wrote: »
    That's why you don't drive fast at night in built up areas. Do you not have headlights on your car? I find these perfectly adequate for spotting Ninja cyclists in the dark.

Not much good if car is pulling out from a side road and un-lit "Ninja cyclist" is approaching from your right/left. Believe it or not, "Ninja cyclists" can also be found in rural areas.
    PLEASE NOTE
  • Tilt
    Pixie5740 wrote: »
    Sorry I deleted my post after I read yours Strider590 about the OP's vendetta against cyclists.

To be fair, I think the OP is only having a go at irresponsible cyclists.
    PLEASE NOTE
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure