EH - Keeping on track. (AKA focus Woman! FOCUS!)

Options

Comments

• EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,372 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    :rotfl::rotfl: Greying! You inspire as much as you like lovely! :rotfl::rotfl:

OK - Decision made regarding the ISA. I'm leaving it where it is currently, as the rate from Halifax is a 1 year only offer, and it positively plummets after that. Yes, there's a little bit more interest to be gained by moving, but equally I'll lose a lot more if I don't remember when that rate drops, so I'm playing the "safety first" card on this one. I still *might* move it to the Nationwide one. I have to confess, the money is currently in a Building society, and I'd rather than than a bank.

Have decided to go for a rare Saturday NSD today. No reason not to, and although I was going to go out this afternoon it didn't need to involve spending any dosh. In fact, the weather appears to be turning from "changeable" to "Bl00dy awful" so I am leaning towards staying in and pottering some more. I was considering taking the camera for a walk, but as the light has now dropped to practically zero, it hardly seems worth it!

Lunch was pasta with a sauce made from the leftovers of last nights dinner (which was delicious, but I forgot to photograph it, sorry, you'll have to rely on Greying for remembering to post pics of delicious looking meals!) - a couple of chipolatas, some roast garlic puree, and half a tin of chopped tomatoes. Very tasty and eaten with some Tesco 20p a pack spaghetti, very budget friendly too!

Remembered to raid the freezer too - we have crumpets for tea tonight, and I've got the last piece of lamb out for dinner tomorrow. It'll be cooked in our small slow-cooker "tagine style" I think - I'll do that overnight too, cheaper that way and I can just reheat tomorrow evening. :A Also got a couple of tubs of stewed rhubarb out for a crumble too. Yum!

And, right on cue, the rain starts.....
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • EssexHebridean
    Options
    NSD Achieved! :j Also a Small Money Saving Thing to report. Our printer has needed replacement for some time - I bought a laser printer when I was doing the Avon stuff as I needed something that the ink wouldn't run on, but we've never been *that* impressed with it, and it's now pretty much refusing to print at all, legibly. This may be the result of using compatible toner cartridges, but then it may not, and as it will take us about £140 to find out, we've decided that a new printer will be more economic, painful as it is to chuck a printer that's not even four years old yet. (Sorry Pippi :o ) Bit of research tonight - found one we liked on PC World's site, pricechecked it against Argos and found the next model up for £10 cheaper, plus we can use the £15 of LoveToShop vouchers we have there. New printer now reserved - we'll pay £34.99 plus the vouchers when we collect tomorrow - so not even had to ruin a NSD! :T
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    she/her
  • Pippilongstocking
    Pippilongstocking Posts: 16,336 Forumite
    Options
    Don't be sorry sounds deeply sensible

:)
    Total debt 26/4/18 <£1925 we were getting there. :beer:
    Total debt as of 28/4/19 £7867.38:eek:
    minus 112.06 = £7755.32:money:
    :money:Sleeves up folks.:money:
  • EssexHebridean
    Options
    Ach is just seems mad - but it's SO much cheaper to replace the wretched thing than see what might fix it. Bloody technology!
    she/her
  • cazmanian_minx
    cazmanian_minx Posts: 4,048 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    My HP laser printer packed up the first time I used a 'compatible' toner as well - I'm not convinced it's worth the saving now.

Euroffice are usually pretty competitive for genuine toners and the Quidco cashback is very reliable :)
  • EssexHebridean
    Options
    Excellent tips there Caz - thanks. We're returning to inkjet now, no reason to have a laser anymore and the all-in-one suits our needs far better. Going to pick it up shortly. Will investigate that ink supplier too - wonder if they're on TCB...

MrEH is in trouble. He announced earlier in the week that he wanted to play rugby yesterday - just a fun tournament, the league season is over. I said at the time that bearing in mind the impending-ness of our Hebrides trip I was going to let him make the decision, but that if he got injured, he'd better hope it was bad enough that me killing him would seem like a mercy killing....! Guess who came home yesterday with a calf muscle so badly torn that he can't even put his foot fully on the ground? Seriously unimpressed - there's little chance the insurance will pay out either as they'll say we can still go, can fly up instead of driving etc, but a walking holiday with no walking seems a little pointless..... Absolutely gutted. :(

Oh well, worse things happen I guess. Another team mate of his was quite badly injured yesterday and we're waiting for news of him so at least it's not that bad. We'll see what the Physio says when he sees him tomorrow as to whether he's able to drive, and whether going at all will be viable.
    she/her
  • Pippilongstocking
    Pippilongstocking Posts: 16,336 Forumite
    Options
    Hugs hugs and more hugs.

I hope the other chap is also OK.
    Total debt 26/4/18 <£1925 we were getting there. :beer:
    Total debt as of 28/4/19 £7867.38:eek:
    minus 112.06 = £7755.32:money:
    :money:Sleeves up folks.:money:
  • EssexHebridean
    edited 11 May 2014 at 5:21PM
    Options
    well "cautiously optimistic" was the phrase I used to a very good chum who enquired earlier on :D - he's realised today that actually trying to work as normally as possible on it, while not over-stretching the back of that leg, is the best way forwards (literally - ha ha) and as a result is walking a lot better on it. Club physio is away until Wednesday, and driving is not an option until he's seen him, but....fingers crossed. The big hill we were hoping to climb this year will be ruled out though I think. :( Still, if we get to go, and do most stuff as normal, that's the main thing. :)

New printer is bought, set up, and working better than the last one ever did, so all good there. Other spendiness to declare this morning:
    -We had to go into Boots as MrEH needed various bits - and the Advantage Card machine promptly yielded vouchers for 150 points on £15 spend, £2.50 off £10 spent on healthcare, 10% off deodorant and 25% off shampoo. I got MrEH's insect repellent (buy one get 2nd half price) for the £10 healthcare spend, then an Alberto shampoo and conditioner (also on special - paid £1.55 for the 2 after vouchers) and 2 x Mitchum deodorant (paid £3.70 for the two) plus a pack of lady-essentials. £15.61, of which MrEH pays £10.87 back to me.
    - £6 - leggings, Matalan, Paid cash and got 2 x £2 coins in my change which have gone straight into the pig.
    - £7.25 on plants in Homebase - 1 large hanging basket planted with pansies, 1 small hanging basket planted with violas, 1 small tray of trailing lobelia, 1 of petunias and one of bacopa - all wilting and desperately in need of water, but nothing much more than that wrong with them. :D Do love a bit of plant-rescue!
    she/her
  • starnac
    starnac Posts: 5,917 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Oh no! Naughty Mr EH!! Hope he's okay. Men are complete pain in the butts aren't they??

Fingers crossed physio does a good job for him x
    Goals for September
    Declutter 10/20
    Money Made £56.52/£200
    Overpayments £0/£200 not this month as need to put into savings instead
  • cazmanian_minx
    cazmanian_minx Posts: 4,048 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    He might as well have dressed up in brass armour and waved a sword on top of a mountain in a thunderstorm whilst shouting, 'All Gods are bar-stewards', mightn't he?? Oh dear, hope it mends soon!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure