PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Any cake recipes that use up tinned fruit

2»

Comments

• JennyP
    JennyP Posts: 1,067 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    katkin wrote: »
    You could drain and puree the fruit to use for cup cakes or alternative to jam layer and cream in a sponge cake. Either add and swirl before baking or add as a layer or to fill a cut-out hole after baking / cooling. Use some of the puree to flavour buttercream or another topping and drizzle the rest to decorate.

Puree is also nice over ice cream, porridge, muesli, rice pud etc .

The fruit syrup or juice is also nice added to the liquid to make up a jelly with the fruit added half way through the setting.

Tins keep for ages, so they'll last.

Edit: Muffins!, chop and add to a simple, easy muffin recipe.

I'm going to do hummingbird cakes as already mentioned but I like your suggestion of putting pureed fruit in the buttercream so I might do that instead of the cream cheese topping!
  • katkin
    katkin Posts: 1,020 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Hummingbird cake sounds amazing. I'm sure it will be a big hit.

You've put me in the mood for getting some tinned fruit in, for just in case cake treats!
  • jackyann
    jackyann Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    Glad you found a hummingbird recipe.
    About 10 years ago, whilst still at work,I bought the Hummingbird Bakery book from the Book People. I used it to make cupcakes and muffins for some 'dos' and put it on the shelf. Fast forward 5 years and I'm having a cup of tea at a cafe with a friend (having just done a lovely walk) and she pointed at 'Hummingbird Cake' and said 'what on earth is that?'. I said 'I think I might have a recipe'and got the book out.
    This was just before a family do, and I made it - it went down so well that it has become a standard - but I warn against trying to use low fat cream cheese, which just doesn't have the body (it all slipped!)
    But I have made the basic cake, sandwiched it with jam, and drizzled simple icing on the top.
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,539 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Somewhere I have got a trad fruit cake recipe that uses tinned pineapple. If you would like it please pm me and I will post it here! I remember making it for a birthday cake
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggyduvets,26 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=160 £86 spent!!!
  • JennyP
    Katiehound wrote: »
    Somewhere I have got a trad fruit cake recipe that uses tinned pineapple. If you would like it please pm me and I will post it here! I remember making it for a birthday cake

Thank you but there's no pineapple. And if there was, I would just guzzle it!!!
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,539 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 13 November 2017 at 6:10PM
    JennyP wrote: »
    Thank you but there's no pineapple. And if there was, I would just guzzle it!!!

Actually it was very nice- think it may well have been a Mary Berry one! Also think it was crushed pineapple- whatever rather than the big slices or cubes.

Another thing that used tinned fruit- I particularly remember mandarins- was the Carnation fruit mousse in a biscuit flan- substitute for cheesecake.
    Wouldn't make small cakes, but this was good.
    I remember substituting pineapple (again) with lemon jelly, or strawbs /raspbs with rasp jelly
    http://www.retrowow.co.uk/retro_britain/classic_recipes/cream_pie.html

Just looked at the hummingbird cake recipes- looks good.
    On Radio 2 I heard someone talking about the chocolate cake made with tinned tomato soup!!- seems it's a US standard. Sounds.... er.... unyummy.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggyduvets,26 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=160 £86 spent!!!
  • JennyP
    First batch of hummingbird cakes made!!! Really yummy! Icing didn't quite work - will probably do that a bit differently next time!
  • Florence_J
    Florence_J Posts: 1,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Here's a recipe I invented this week, but it does contain a generous amount of alcohol.

The Rum and Coke Tropical Cake

You will need

50ml Dark Rum
    50ml Coca Cola
    200-220g Tinned pineapple (drained weight)
    3 Bananas
    200g Self raising flour
    2 eggs
    70g sugar, preferably demerara

Cut the pineapple into little chunks and add to a mixing bowl. Mix with the coke and rum.
    Mash the bananas and add to the wet mixture.
    Add all other ingredients.

Place in a greased cake tin and bake for 50 minutes at gas mark 5.
    Debt Free Stage 1 - Completed 27/08/2020
    Debt Free Stage 2 - Completed 50/181 Payments
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I'm not a huge fan of cake but that Hummingbird Cake looks delicious :drool:
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family