PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The sewing thread

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    welcome fonque, I love reading about the different styles of sewing and garments

My long post was wiped out, windows switched my computer off. Oh well grhhh

I have spare fleece from dressing gown one, which I love and wear every day. I have just cut out a vest with a zip and a hood, I may not use the hood and will decide later. An old uncut pattern from my pattern stash
    http://www.cherishedcollectibles.com/p3086.html
    told you it was old :D
    The blue one, view B. It is a multi size pattern so I taped any overlapping cutouts for smaller sizes onto the back, ie around the armholes, in case I want to make smaller in future. Pattern also says to use fused interfacing, NO definitely not, not needed and no heat near fleece

I also cut out DG two from blue fleece and will later cut out view A vest. Ordered all zips today. A has three zips, the pocket zips are 6" and they only had 8", no problem as they are closed zips, will sew in and cut off the excess. I prefer to cut out on one day and sew on a different day, more relaxing. Wish I had a very big cutting board, would be much quicker

I also have thick ribbed fleece in my stash and want an every day pop-on jacket, not with a waist and tie as would be too bulky. I may use
    http://www.petitepluspatterns.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=251&Category_Code=PATTERNS
    No hood or lining, the shaping comes from the curved seams. Haven`t decided yet, need to work out how bulky it will be. Fabric could end up as bed throws :D
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    kittie I am keen to get back into sewing after a long gap where I did nothing except a bit of mending, due to ill-health. Thank you for the links you posted - they're great, and the one in post #221 looks just the job for my shape :)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I had a massively long gap too ivyleaf, not ill health just pressure of work and family, years and years. Coming back to sewing was like learning a new language and craftsy helped me a lot, sewing in the old days was very basic eg I had never heard of `stitch in the ditch` but really this is so useful when doing the neckline on a stretch t shirt. My walking foot has a stitch in the ditch interchangeable sole plate :D I had forgotten about that

I have been sorting my sewing machine feet, I have a bernina and very many feet, bought over years but I forget I have them as they were tucked away. They are all in one place now and the number and description for each foot are in a list in my new hard cover sewing notebook. Next step, next week, will be to type a list and laminate it to put into the feet container. I also have a book called `the sewing machine accessory` bible, it is a very useful and clearly written book with many pictures. I am hoping to get the best out of more feet in the future

No sewing today, was up before six, now ready for an afternoon nap
  • I went a bit mad when I got my first electric machine about five years ago, and bought lots of feet - hardly used any of them and I'm not even sure what they are now! :o. So last year I took photographs of each one and wrote myself a little list. That book sounds good, Kittie. If anyone is unsure about which foot does what, there's a great video on YouTube - just search 'Debbie Shore sewing machine feet', sorry I tried a link but couldn't make it work.

It's the first day of my overlocker course tomorrow, I'm very excited- hope I'm going to come away with a better understanding of what I can use it for.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • ivyleaf
    Ooh, let us know how it went, Polly!

I'm thinking I should get a new machine very soon, as I should avoid heavy lifting, and mine - a German-built Pfaff electronic - weighs 8.3 kg according to the manual (though DS reckons it's heavier than that.). Its screen isn't backlit either, and I could do with "daylight" lighting; I looked online and sadly there isn't an LED-type bulb available for my model.

It's difficult to know where to start; I've looked at so many online but of course they all have pros and cons. I like Pfaff because their "mid-range and upward" models have integrated dual feed - like a built-in walking foot, but I know I could buy a separate walking foot if I choose a different brand.

I'm not interested on quilting or patchwork, so I don't particularly need those types of stitches - in fact an ordinary mechanical machine might be fine. I'd have to trade in my current one, or sell it before buying a new one.

Mooloo has suggested the Silver 25-3, which I like the look of, but I'd be interested to hear any other suggestions. Bernina is out of my price range because I need new glasses soon as well and my lenses cost several hundred pounds :eek:
  • Artytarty
    Artytarty Posts: 2,642 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Hello! I'm Arty and I am a compulsive fabric haorder! Doesn't that qualify me to join you?
    I have a very good Janome, loads of beautiful vintage corona and tweeds but no matter what I Mina eat always looks or. Aleast feels homemade.
    I'd like to see more plain fabrics that rely on the shape more than the colourful craziness of my past exploits.

Unrelated- today I order a metre of iron on vinyl because I fancy trying to make my girls some shower caps. Thta will be a good way to use up some of the older remnants.
    Norn Iron Club member 473
  • Oh it definitely qualifies you, Arty!

Ivyleaf, sorry I don't know much about machines but I'm very happy with my Janome.

The course was very good although I was extremely tired by the end of the day. Several others had got an overlocker and never got it out of the box so I didn't feel quite so inadequate! We talked about 2-way and 4-way stretch and different types of fabric, learned to thread the machine and did 4-thread, three-thread and rolled hems. In between this we cut out and graded up (in my case!) a pattern for a pair of jogging bottoms which we're going to cut out and sew next week. The tutor also showed us how to attach a band as a cuff.

I have already played around with my overlocker so it wasn't all new to me, but it's made me feel much more confident about using it, and especially things like removing one of the needles. I also got a few tips about fabric shops. I'm really looking forward to next week. One of the other participants is doing a pattern cutting course and I really like the sound of that.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • ivyleaf
    Welcome Arty :hello: Don't tell anyone but most of the things I make look fine....as long as you don't look at the inside....:o :D

Polly that sounds great, though tiring! How many lessons are there in the course? I have a dear friend who bought an overlocker from Lidl and has been too nervous to really try it out. I'll have to see if there are any courses in this area she could do.:)

I've heard Janome are very good machines, and there's a shop near me that sells them. I found one online I really liked but it's even heavier than the machine I've already got. But when I've got the money together I'll go in there and try some out. And if I buy a Janome, I will buy it there, even if it's a bit dearer than online - use it or lose it, after all!
  • Artytarty
    Artytarty Posts: 2,642 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Today I switched the silky multipatterned but very cold raglan sleeves form a tweed tunic dress. I substituted a cosy plain grey jersey and made a bog cowl neck ending in a scarf like way so it ties casually.
    I'm quite pleased with the result but may take an extra inch off the length of the dress as it's a bit fussy sudsy mid knee. But I hate doing that because it can't go back on and one of the reasons I started sewing is because I taller than average.
    I also made a thin seat pad with four ties for on each of my new kitchen chairs, they're shiny and the dog keeps slipping off!
    Meant to say, YOutbe for how to use an overlocker is great.
    Norn Iron Club member 473
  • ivyleaf
    Artytarty wrote: »
    Today I switched the silky multipatterned but very cold raglan sleeves form a tweed tunic dress. I substituted a cosy plain grey jersey and made a bog cowl neck ending in a scarf like way so it ties casually.
    I'm quite pleased with the result but may take an extra inch off the length of the dress as it's a bit fussy sudsy mid knee. But I hate doing that because it can't go back on and one of the reasons I started sewing is because I taller than average.
    I also made a thin seat pad with four ties for on each of my new kitchen chairs, they're shiny and the dog keeps slipping off!
    Meant to say, YOutbe for how to use an overlocker is great.

Oh poor dog, I keep imagining the startled yelp :rotfl:
    I love the sound of what you did to the tunic dress. You obviously have a good creative imagination, which I certainly don't :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback