Lost PC to TV sound

I have my PC set up using a TV as a monitor. Until recently sound form the PC also played over the TV speakers.

In a moment of stupidity, while I was trying to connect to my external amp, via the headphone socket, I had the 'Speakers Properties' open, and I accidentally disabled the TV speakers. After that, the taskbar speaker icon had a cross on it, stating the speakers weren't connected.

Fast forward to this evening, I've restarted the PC after installing this month's updates, and the cross against the speaker icon is gone. According to Windows everything is working okay, but I still have no sound to the TV. Looking at the sound properties again, the tv/speakers is not listed.

The headphone socket, when I try it has been working normally throughout.

I've tried removing & reconnecting the cable, but it hasn't helped.
I've plugged a usb stick into the TV to test the speakers, and they are still working okay, so I'm sure it's just because of my stupid selection of the 'Don't use this device (disable)' option that is causing the issue.
I've also tried Windows - Add new Hardware, but it hasn't picked up anything.

I've been unable to find an answer via Google, so hoping someone here can advise. I don't really want to go out and buy some external speakers when the TV ones are good enough.

A few hopefully useful details, though I'll no doubt miss something.

The pc itself is a Zoostorm Desktop PC Intel Core i5-4460 8GB DDR3 Ram 2TB HDD from ebuyer, with Windows 7 installed.
The TV (32" LG) is connected using the PC's DVI socket to TV HDMI. (I have a second monitor using the VGA socket)

Any suggestions on restoring the sound from the tv speakers would be appreciated.

Comments

• debitcardmayhem
    debitcardmayhem Posts: 11,857 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Right click on the sound ((( on the taskbar select playback device it will be in there
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,549 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Scoll down to HDMI sound and unmute it. Had a similar issue with a Media Centre PC. I swapped the sound from HDMI to external speakers to test them.

When swapping back no sound. Sound properties appeared to be set to HDMI but still no sound. I went back to the sound properties and scrolled down to see the HDMI listed but muted. Unmute and sorted.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• VoucherMan
    VoucherMan Posts: 2,771 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Right click on the sound ((( on the taskbar select playback device it will be in there

:think: All I see is

pb1.png

pb2.png
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    In playback devices , Right click in the empty space underneath "Speakers" and tick "show disabled devices" and "show disconnected devices" ..

Does that make them appear ?
  • VoucherMan
    VoucherMan Posts: 2,771 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    AndyPix wrote: »
    In playback devices , Right click in the empty space underneath "Speakers" and tick "show disabled devices" and "show disconnected devices" ..

Great, that's fixed it thanks. Simple when you know how.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure