PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Estate Agents notified of Let By board

Looking for some advice.

I received an email today from estate agents advising they would be erecting a Let By signpost in our front garden within the next 7 days as part of a marketing campaign to promote their business. As we have been renting the property for two and a half years now we're not really comfortable with this and having read over the tenancy agreement this evening there is nothing in it which suggests we are under any obligation to allow them to do this.

Can anyone advise where we stand with this? I have contacted the landlord to make him aware as we have a very good relationship with him.

Comments

• lewisa
    lewisa Posts: 301 Forumite
    I would agree to it providing they paid the market rate.

If they wanted to stick their board on a roundabout it was cost about £300 p.a. to the landowner plus the same in business rates for the plot.

As you arent the landowner im not sure if thats viable. But it would be that or the big F O.
  • Tell them no and if they do put it up regardless just take it down and shove it through their letterbox.
  • Quite simply, this is your land and therefore they cannot erect anything on it without your permission. If they go ahead without your permission they will be trespassing.

They have some cheek to tell you that they are going to erect a board.
  • To confirm, we do let the property from said estate agents but they do have a cheek to tell me that they will be erecting said board in the next 7 days. If we had just signed the tenancy I'd have no objection to the 14 days which they would be permitted but we have been there so long now that surely they can't just do this?? Before I respond to them I just need to be clear I'm in the right. I have already advised the landlord I wouldn't be giving them consent to do it as it's nowhere in my tenancy agreement.
  • ckt_82 wrote: »
    If we had just signed the tenancy I'd have no objection to the 14 days which they would be permitted but we have been there so long now that surely they can't just do this?? Before I respond to them I just need to be clear I'm in the right.

They are not permitted anything from day 1 of your tenancy without having your permission.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    What did the landlord say? The agents work for him so a 'no' from him would carry more weight.
  • lewisa
    lewisa Posts: 301 Forumite
    Advertising hoardings are a commercial entity subject to business rates. There is an exemption for temporary property sale/let signs and political signs in the run up to an election.

This is neither of them. Grass them up to the council valuation office.
  • bazzyb
    bazzyb Posts: 1,584 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    A 'let by' board is only exempt from needing planning permission if it is removed within 14 days of the property being let. I would suspect they have not applied for planning permission, so I would probably point this out to them.
  • G_M wrote: »
    What did the landlord say? The agents work for him so a 'no' from him would carry more weight.

Awaiting his reply which will likely be tomorrow. Thank you for your replies so far I'll update tomorrow.
  • What is the point of discussing business rates or planning permission?

The starting point is that they need OP's permission. If he says 'no' then end of story, and if everyone's happy with the sign being erected for £50 then no need to involve anyone else.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure