warm home discount scheme

Comments

• anguk
    anguk Posts: 3,412 Forumite
    Foxy16 wrote: »
    I have received a letter from Br. Gas saying essentials is ending on 31st March, and have just had a gas bill in and compared it to the same period last year.
    2011 units used 265 cost £57.31
    2012 units used 234 cost £123.60!!!!!
    How in the hell can they justify increases like that, when they make a profit. I will absolutely dread further bills from them and will have to drastically cut down on heating from now on, and I don't consider myself a heavy user.
    That's more than double the price and you used less gas! :eek: And that's on the cheaper Essentials tariff, there's going to be a further increase once we're off Essentials and on the standard tariff. :(

I'm off to re-read the "preparing for winter" thread on the Old Style board to see if there's anything more I can do to keep us warm while using less gas. It has been pretty mild this winter and it's still cost us more so I dread to think of the cost if next winter is a bad one. :(
    Dum Spiro Spero
  • john539
    john539 Posts: 16,966 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Simon7685 wrote: »
    John what area do you live in to get low rates like that? I am in North Yorkshire. I suffered rises on the unit rates like this over the last 2 years which is how my annual cost has doubled over that time. It really is not right what the energy companies are getting away with here but I suspect there will be nothing gets done about it, as usual.

It is a bit like motor insurance I think, if you drive you have to have insurance, which gives the providers license to charge whatever they want basically and there is nothing we can do about it. The really sad thing with these energy rises though, is come next winter I can see a lot of older people and vulnerable ones dying due to not being able to afford to heat their homes. You can really understand sometimes why people are having to make a choice between eating or heating!
    I assume you must be paying similiar rates to me, maybe slightly different based on your region.

The letter I received informing me of ending of Essentials has new tariffs for all regions on back.

The new tariff for Yorkshire (is based on electricity board for your area) is:

Tier 1: 8.689p/kwh (inc VAT)
    Tier 2: 3.970p/kwh (inc VAT)

The tier 1 rate for all regions is between 8.675 - 8.876p/kwh (inc VAT)
    The tier 2 rate for all regions is between 3.955 - 4.158p/kwh (inc VAT)
  • john539
    Foxy16 wrote: »
    I have received a letter from Br. Gas saying essentials is ending on 31st March, and have just had a gas bill in and compared it to the same period last year.
    2011 units used 265 cost £57.31
    2012 units used 234 cost £123.60!!!!!
    How in the hell can they justify increases like that, when they make a profit. I will absolutely dread further bills from them and will have to drastically cut down on heating from now on, and I don't consider myself a heavy user.
    Have you recalculated your latest gas bill with your new standard rate on back of letter ?

My latest quarterly bill would be £41 higher !
  • Simon7685
    Simon7685 Posts: 1,115 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    John are these rates you are quoting for gas???

I have just logged into my British Gas online account - Essentials Tariff and my electricity rates are;

Tier 1 = 25.158p per KW/H
    Tier 2 = 11.766p per KW/H
    Night = 3.290p per KW/H
  • john539
    john539 wrote: »
    The new tariff for Yorkshire (is based on electricity board for your area) is:

Tier 1: 8.689p/kwh (inc VAT)
    Tier 2: 3.970p/kwh (inc VAT)

The tier 1 rate for all regions is between 8.675 - 8.876p/kwh (inc VAT)
    The tier 2 rate for all regions is between 3.955 - 4.158p/kwh (inc VAT)
    Simon7685 wrote: »
    John are these rates you are quoting for gas???

I have just logged into my British Gas online account - Essentials Tariff and my electricity rates are;

Tier 1 = 25.158p per KW/H
    Tier 2 = 11.766p per KW/H
    Night = 3.290p per KW/H
    Yes, I am quoting gas rates, those look like electricity rates.

I thought Essentials was only for Gas, don't know anything about Electricity with British Gas, as my electricity is with different energy company.

I would check your last gas bill for your gas rates
  • Simon7685
    That explains that then:rotfl::T:rotfl:

For one awful minute earlier tonight I thought, have BG been ripping me off under a pretence of selling me discounted electric at hyper inflated prices:eek: Which to be fair they do anyway.

My figures were for electric supply via the essentials tariff, we are sadly all electric. I wish we had gas................

However it just goes to show that BG and all the other suppliers are ripping off both electric and gas customers that are/were on the social tariffs. It does also explaing why I haven't heard a peep about my essentials tariff ending, I hope that my information was correct and it might be around another 12 months before we are dragged kicking and screaming over to the wonderfull Warm Home Discount Scheme. That doesn't alter the fact we are still being well and truly overcharged and when the switch comes there are going to be thousands/hundreds of thousands of people much much worse off!
  • anguk wrote: »
    The £120 fuel rebate discount is the Warm Home Discount Scheme?

I'm with British Gas, currently on their Essentials tariff (for people on certain benefits), if you're already on that scheme you can't get the £120 fuel rebate. The Essentials tariff has now been stopped since the government brought in the Warm Home scheme, existing customers will at some point be taken off Essentials and put on a more expensive tariff.

Simon7865 makes a very good point that people will probably be worse off on the £120 rebate than they are now on the social tariffs. It's easy to think "oh I'll get £120 on this new scheme" but it could cost you double that in higher fuel costs.

Thing is . . I'm not on any warm Home Scheme or Essentials tariffs. I simply received a letter informing me that EDF will credit my electricity account with £120 under the "Warm Home Discount". I won't be changing tariffs, It's just a £120 "bonus" (which hasn't been credited yet . . . )
  • Foxy16
    Foxy16 Posts: 247 Forumite
    john539 wrote: »
    Have you recalculated your latest gas bill with your new standard rate on back of letter ?

My latest quarterly bill would be £41 higher !

At the new rate it would be £43. higher. Well what with all the disability changes and now this, I feel the sick are getting hit everywhere.
  • Thing is . . I'm not on any warm Home Scheme or Essentials tariffs. I simply received a letter informing me that EDF will credit my electricity account with £120 under the "Warm Home Discount". I won't be changing tariffs, It's just a £120 "bonus" (which hasn't been credited yet . . . )

the govt told the suppliers who they must put into the warm home scheme,i think those on pension credit,others had to apply e.g. those who get disability premiums,you should get the £120 credited by the end of march,next year 2012/13 its £130
  • Simon7685
    Thing is . . I'm not on any warm Home Scheme or Essentials tariffs. I simply received a letter informing me that EDF will credit my electricity account with £120 under the "Warm Home Discount". I won't be changing tariffs, It's just a £120 "bonus" (which hasn't been credited yet . . . )

If you met the criteria then you automatically qualified for the Warm Home Discount Scheme. You only need to change your tariff if you were on your suppliers social tariff (EDF was Energy Assist). So in your case, if you were already on a mainstream plan, then it is like receiving a 'bonus' rebate. However the fact that you automatically qualified suggests that you would have been eligible for their social tariff. So you have probably been paying about 15% per year more than you needed to for the last 5 or so years.

If you were on their social tariff, they would have moved you to a new more expensive tariff, as the social tariffs are now ending.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure