Update! Santander First Home Saver Account: 5% on up to 50k savings (up to 35 only)

Comments

• ade1982
    ade1982 Posts: 64
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    yes, that's correct. It's a generic account code and then the thing that differentiates it is the payee, which is as you stated. I've done it from my Halifax account.
  • rb10
    rb10 Posts: 6,334 Forumite
    ade1982 wrote: »
    yes, that's correct. It's a generic account code and then the thing that differentiates it is the payee, which is as you stated. I've done it from my Halifax account.

No - it's the reference that identifies your account.

The payee is a different field altogether!
  • All done and dusted for the time being with this account.. I went into branch today, explained to the chap behind the help desk what I wanted to do.. i.e. transfer whole balance except £1 into my Preferred Current Account; told me he would check the account..

Then proceeded to tell me the rate had actually dropped to 0.1% not 3% - so I told him; you must be looking at the rate for the First Home Saver Issue 1 not First Home Saver Special Issue 1 which is the account I currently hold.

Then he wanted to know why I was after transferring the money out; I said I could get a higher rate elsewhere and he asked where that was and the rate - Lloyds TSB with Vantage - 4%.

Then he tried to make me an appointment to see a "savings advisor" and was telling me I could "invest in some low-risk bonds at 7 or 8%" :) - I told him thanks but I wasn't interested, I didn't want to tie my savings up and I'd already decided what I wanted to do.

Reluctantly he directed me towards a cashier at the counters as I'd have to do the transfer there. Then when I explained to her she was on about me closing it, but I said I wanted to keep it open, I asked if I could have the interest early which apparently I can't unless I close it.

Then she wanted to know whether she could just leave the pence in instead of a pound :think: why do the banks always think they know best for me?
  • My folks had the same thing when trying to transfer money out of Santander.... constantly trying to get you to do something else. My Dad said he'll never ever use another Santander product because of how utterly difficult the staff were.
  • I would like to transfer an amount into my current account, can they do this by EFT or will I be issued a cheque?
  • Eponym
    Eponym Posts: 303
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    pazza2000 wrote: »
    I would like to transfer an amount into my current account, can they do this by EFT or will I be issued a cheque?

They did it for me in branch, but my current account is with Santander. Not sure how it works if yours isn't.
  • I got same response by secure messaging from Santander.

Even after the change of type, and big drop in the interest rate, you can still only manage this account through a branch, which was annoying.

I visited my local branch yesterday and moved all funds bar £1 to an eSaver account I had with them (which can be operated online). As soon as I got home shifted that out to my current account then onto my Nationwide Mysave Plus account @ 3.12 AER for now (ends mid-February - may well end up going back to this account then, judging by the current saving rates on offer from others - hence the leaving £1 rather than closing this account).
    fp04 wrote: »
    Hello Team FHS,

Just to add my voice to the chorus of 'not-online', I called up to try and add it to my online accounts, but it's not possible. Ho hum.
  • I'm a little puzzled. Just called up Santander and spoke to a rep who told me I still have my first home regular saver account and as long as I keep depositing via standing order I'll receive interest as before - my account has not been changed to a saver.

Guessing lady on phone had no clue what she was talking about??
    5.41 kWp System, E-W. Installed Nov 2017
    Lux + 3 x US2000B + 2 x US3000C battery storage. Installed Mar 2020.
  • beamer007 wrote: »
    Even after the change of type, and big drop in the interest rate, you can still only manage this account through a branch, which was annoying.

I was able to withdraw from my First Home Saver via telephone banking. Not sure if this was only available as I have a current account. The money was available instantly to transfer out the my Lloyds Vantages.
  • gt94sss2
    gt94sss2 Posts: 5,614
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    beamer007 wrote: »

I visited my local branch yesterday and moved all funds bar £1 to an eSaver account I had with them (which can be operated online).

I did the same last week but via the telephone rather than going into a branch.

I will leave the balance in my eSaver account for the moment as I still get 3.2% on that.

Regards
    Sunil
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family