Changing from Electric Storage to LPG

Options
Nikkita
Nikkita Posts: 24 Forumite
Hi,

I have recently bought my first house with my husband and it is currently heated by Electric Storage Heaters, we are wanting to change to LPG does anyone know if there are any Government Schemes out there that can assist with this? Or what the cheapest way to do this is? We are waiting for quotes to come in but know we are looking at about 5-6k for the boiler and radiators and installation.

We have already got prices from calor gas for the tank etc so know how much this is going to be

Thank you

Comments

• footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Nikkita wrote: »
    Hi,

I have recently bought my first house with my husband and it is currently heated by Electric Storage Heaters, we are wanting to change to LPG does anyone know if there are any Government Schemes out there that can assist with this? Or what the cheapest way to do this is? We are waiting for quotes to come in but know we are looking at about 5-6k for the boiler and radiators and installation.

We have already got prices from calor gas for the tank etc so know how much this is going to be

Thank you

No, I am sorry, but I don't know any scheme that expects the taxpayer to fund the improvement to your home.

There are sometimes grants available for say insulation, as this would save energy (environmental protection, etc), but I don't know any for general improvements or modifications to the home, sorry.

Perhaps, have a word with your MP.?
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,926 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I hope that you've got several quotes for the LPG.

Calor are not always the cheapest!
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,443 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You don't say why you want to change to LPG, but of course it is your prerogative.

Have you considered a) staying with E7 or b) oil?
  • Nikkita
    Nikkita Posts: 24 Forumite
    Options
    footyguy wrote: »
    No, I am sorry, but I don't know any scheme that expects the taxpayer to fund the improvement to your home.

There are sometimes grants available for say insulation, as this would save energy (environmental protection, etc), but I don't know any for general improvements or modifications to the home, sorry.

Perhaps, have a word with your MP.?

I don’t expect the taxpayer to foot the bill I was asking if there were any grants out there that I could apply for as I know there are for radiators and boilers but you have to be certain benefits or classed as being on a low income which we aren’t. Thanks
  • Ebe_Scrooge
    Ebe_Scrooge Posts: 7,320 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sorry, can't help with the grant side of things. But, assuming you're not on mains gas, have you looked at oil rather than LPG ? Historically, oil has always been the cheapest of the off-grid options, LPG tends to be towards the more expensive end of the scale.
  • footyguy
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I don’t expect the taxpayer to foot the bill ...

Who were you thinking might fund such a grant?
  • reeac
    reeac Posts: 1,430 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why lpg? A friend chose lpg for reduced maintenance costs. Hasn't turned out that way ...he needed a replacement boiler after about 14 years whereas our oil boiler of same vintage is still going strong after 20 years with annual maintenance. at around £70, complete reliability and only a few trivial bits replaced.
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,926 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 10 October 2017 at 11:09AM
    Options
    My experience is the exact opposite.

We installed a Baxi Bermuda LPG back boiler back in 1983. It is still going strong and in 34 years has only needed a new gas valve at £50. The boiler is regularly serviced at a further £50 a year.

Oil boilers are significantly more expensive than gas boilers and need an oil tank which can fail after a number of years. With LPG the tank responsibility lies with the LPG supplier.

If you shop around for your gas, then the difference in running costs is not that much. I currently pay 30ppl.

Oh - and LPG has the advantage that not only is it cleaner but people don't tend to steal it!
  • footyguy
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    reeac wrote: »
    Why lpg? A friend chose lpg for reduced maintenance costs. Hasn't turned out that way ...he needed a replacement boiler after about 14 years whereas our oil boiler of same vintage is still going strong after 20 years with annual maintenance. at around £70, complete reliability and only a few trivial bits replaced.

The OP currently has NSHs - you won't get cheaper than that for maintenance costs, so presumably that is not a factor in their decision process. ;)
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I don’t expect the taxpayer to foot the bill I was asking if there were any grants out there that I could apply for as I know there are for radiators and boilers but you have to be certain benefits or classed as being on a low income which we aren’t. Thanks
    There are sometimes grants for changes that reduce a home's energy demands through greater efficiency.

You are proposing a change which doesn't do that, which is probably why others were surprised that you hoped to find a grant for it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure