MSE News: Welfare reforms 'to hit disabled'

Options

Comments

• Anny_2
    Anny_2 Posts: 148 Forumite
    edited 22 October 2012 at 3:06PM
    Options
    Dunroamin wrote: »
    I am happy to pay taxes to support people who need help and believe strongly in paying more tax to do it better. I've never read a tabloid paper in my life and my political views are far to the left of any current mainstream party.

If you use figures for a Motability car (which is what I assume you meant) in your costs then it isn't surprising that anyone reading would take this to be the relevant situation. As for one or two taxi journeys taking up all of the DLA HRM, that's really not worthy of a comment!

If I had not put in a mobility car - I would have had at least 5 posters saying 'and a free mobility car, and a free mobility car', so I showed in the scenario that, that £54.05 was not given alongside a 'free car' - you can have one or the other but, you cannot have both.

If I were disabled it would cost me £60 taxi fare for 1 round trip to the nearest hospital - DLA mobility is £54.05, no more, no less - you do the figures! Patient transport is not always suitable, again it depends on the disability and the impact of that on the person. My mum had a serious bowel condition and would not have used patient transport, luckily, almost all the family drive so that was not a problem, but for others it will be.

Many disabled people learn to drive in order to keep down the costs of their disability (although I realise you think they should not if they cannot vacuum) but the fact is to participate in society many disabled people will and do drive and many more will have a named driver, but that depends if they know someone who is close enough to do that and sadly, many disabled people do not have.

Not everyone lives in close proximity to hospitals and to pre-empt your reply - No, I do not think all disabled people should have to live in close proximity to hospitals, the community they live in will, no doubt, have many beneficial reasons for them living there - family, friends, groups, GP etc - but it just shows how you could 'blow' the HR of mobility on just one journey - for those on medium rate or low rate well they are just 'screwed'!
    Disabled people have become easy scapegoats in this age of austerity.

'Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are'. (Benjamin Franklin)
  • Muttleythefrog
    Muttleythefrog Posts: 19,763 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 22 October 2012 at 3:24PM
    Options
    krisskross wrote: »
    when people have their claimed for needs met then i have no problem at all with them receiving the payments to help pay for them.

However we see many posters who have apparently claimed for needs, including 24/7 care and supervision, who have absolutely nothing in place to meet or alleviate those needs. What is the point of giving the money then?

The answer is always that it would not be possible to pay for this round the clock help from DLA payments but if someone is managing without the help for years on end then surely they can manage without the payments?

Another answer is that is enough for the need to exist to justify the payment but does it really exist if if doesn't need addressing?

I presume you're using me as an example or someone like me. I don't think you get the idea of DLA (or its replacment PIP).

DLA is not designed to assess need and provide money to facilitate that need. That is quite clear. The test, as it will be for PIP, is to measure general level of disability in day to day life so that the state can acknowledge via monetary award that there is a higher cost of living typically associated with disability.

The DLA test is incredibly narrow and doesn't seek to find out if the needs identified for measuring disability would actually be best served in being met at all. So for example the DLA test did not look at whether actually providing me with supervision would actually be a sensible idea... it simply took the generic view that I need supervision according to some general rules. It would be a complete waste of money me getting supervision because the amount of time I could afford to get supervision would be minimal even with the DLA award... and in my view supervision is not something that would reduce my disabilities day to day, it would increase them (the DLA test is far too simplistic to discover that). However there are some things that I can do to reduce disabilities.. not entirely conventional (but then I'm dealing with a range of MH problems that generate quite unconventional circumstances) ... but I am using my DLA money to do that now.

Managing without care or similar is not really relevant. The idea of DLA is via money give some opportunity to the claimant to facilitate the normal expectations of life... whether the claimant desires those normal expectations or can realistically meet them is quite another question. The DLA test is very very basic... the majority of my needs day to day don't go anywhere near to the criteria for getting DLA... for example I need order in my environment (or treatment to prevent this need) otherwise I face being heavily disabled/distracted by thoughts about such... the majority of my waking day is taken up with thoughts about my environmental order. That's what critically disables me day to day... the DLA test doesn't look at that... it at best just deals with the consequence... I'm unable to do things like get washed or groomed because all my energies (limited by depression) are tied up with pandering to the obsessive thoughts. The supervision needs identified probably relate to the fact I will target people because of these obsessional requirements of order... the fact I've gone for many years without supervision and without DLA is rather insignificant a point since it is events that have occurred that probably lead to the conclusion the supervision is needed. For example I punched the postman about a year ago... he left my garden gate open... almost a year ago now I went out.. alone... on a pub crawl... and I ended up acting particularly strangely... i na way that when documented by psychiatrist caused some alarm.. my behaviour when in rare ventures out at night causes them some concern... ironically I don't get any DLA award for requiring supervision at night.. yet all evidence seems to suggests this is when I pose greatest risk to self and others.

The wider issue of whether the need should be attempted to be met when identified by the test... to demonstrate need for the money... misses the point of why the money is awarded.. which isn't to meet the need. But more importantly perhaps is that the sorts of things the DLA test looks at are the sorts of things that unaddressed will simply lead to greater risks or poorer quality of life for the claimant... i.e. it could well appear to an outsider that they get by without the help.. but getting by is not what DLA is set up to legally tackle. Any system which looks deeper into the actual needs and actual costs and actually help needed would by massively more expensive. I'd be more than happy to have experts assess my actual needs and what would actually help me and give me any (if any) relevant monies. If I could spend my DLA money to undisable me day to day I'd do it... but that's not realistic.

As for gravy train... thoughts like this are well away from my mind... my battle for DLA became an issue of my intergrity... something I have traded on for my adult life.. something that was already under attack from a devious GP... I had no choice but to fight after that outrageously worded (but standard) DLA rejection letter... I do wonder if I'd have pursued the claim for 2 years had it not been for my integrity being challenged like that and the disorder that created. I get offers of work now and again from old contacts that would generate income well beyond anything I'm going to get on benefits. Money is only important to me in that I obsess about efficiencies associated with it... money falls into the general environment of requiring order and efficiency... so my problem with money has never been getting it.. but spending it appropriately. This is something I have to try to work on... and I am.
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
  • krisskross
    krisskross Posts: 7,677 Forumite
    edited 22 October 2012 at 3:30PM
    Options
    topaziem wrote: »
    Pensioners??? I know of many pensioners that receive a benefit income that is well above what their needs are.

Many are even now, still able to save out of their benefit monies. Yet they are the 'protected ones'.

The average pensioner couple that have some disabilities, and including HB & CTB, receive in excess of £580 a week!!!

Now tell me that that isn't over the top?

As for those that claim for all manner of disability benefits because they have 'needs' that create an 'entitlement' which have never been and never will be addressed.

It's money for old rope so to speak.

There should be a flat weekly payment that just covers their basic costs of living plus an addition only if they can show that they are actually spending at least that amount on care costs.

Pensioners don't contribute - Ok some may pay a little tax, but on the whole they take more out than they put in. I will ignore VAT etc as that doesn't feature as everyone pays that.

£25,000 + a year in income soley from benefits is disgusting - there is no need for that level of money, much better spent on keeping those that want to work healthy via the NHS!!

This level of benefit income relies on them receiving pension credit...the means testing gateway as applied to pensioners.

just as a for instance my husband is quite significantly disabled by various illnesses and claims the higher rate of AA. t all ends there though as we do not get pension credit. n fact we still pay quite an appreciable amount in income tax and full council tax etc.

I don't quite understand your post but are you saying that only pensioners should have to account for how they use any extra money they receive based on disability?
  • rogerblack
    rogerblack Posts: 9,446 Forumite
    Options
    Dunroamin wrote: »
    As for one or two taxi journeys taking up all of the DLA HRM, that's really not worthy of a comment!

To get to my local post office and back is 10 quid.
    Nearest supermarket is 20.
    Local benefits tribunal venue is 40.
    Doctor is 30.

Taxis can be not too bad if you're in a built up area.
  • krisskross
    krisskross Posts: 7,677 Forumite
    edited 22 October 2012 at 3:58PM
    Options
    krisskross wrote: »
    This level of benefit income relies on them receiving pension credit...the means testing gateway as applied to pensioners.

just as a for instance my husband is quite significantly disabled by various illnesses and claims the higher rate of AA. t all ends there though as we do not get pension credit. n fact we still pay quite an appreciable amount in income tax and full council tax etc.

I don't quite understand your post but are you saying that only pensioners should have to account for any extra money they receive based on disability?

ETA:When I retired I was paying ~ £12K a year in tax and NI from my 2 jobs, and had been for quite a few years.

With an SRP of ~£3.3K a year I reckon I have paid my way for a bit yet.
  • Muttleythefrog
    Muttleythefrog Posts: 19,763 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    rogerblack wrote: »
    Doctor is 30.

I've got a leaflet here from the local Taxi firm.. it actually gives rates for local supermarket trips... presumably this must be a key market. £8.50 one way to the local ASDA. This is presumably a cheap part of the country too as far as taxis go... and it is heavily populated urban area.
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
  • Wicked_witch
    Options
    I'm not sure this will save as much money as the government hope. Under the current rules I can find for PIP, my husband will be entitled to higher rate mobility due to needing someone with him whenever he goes out due to his low vision (Needs either –
    (i) supervision, prompting or a support dog to follow a journey to a familiar destination- 15 points) as well as the higher rate of care. Currently he gets the middle rate of care and lower rate mobility. He's not going to be the only person in this boat by any means, suggesting that all that will happen is that money taken from one will be given to another.

Despite theoretically getting more from PIP, I am against the changes, just for the record.
  • Dunroamin
    Dunroamin Posts: 16,908 Forumite
    edited 22 October 2012 at 4:07PM
    Options
    rogerblack wrote: »
    Doctor is 30.

Why would you need to go to either the supermarket or the post office?

ETA

I would be very surprised if someone who was disabled lived as far from their doctor's surgery as that; in most places that would be too far away for a home visit.
  • Dunroamin
    Dunroamin Posts: 16,908 Forumite
    Options
    JohnRo wrote: »
    It's not as ridiculous as you seem to imply.

Higher Rate Mobility is £54.05 p.w.

http://yourtaximeter.com/main#/main

a 3 mile round journey would typically cost me around £12, if caught in heavy traffic it could get quite pricey.

I appreciate that taxi prices vary but, using your example, you could have 9 taxi journeys for the cost of HRM rather than the one or two that were mentioned in the post I answered.
  • Invalidation
    Options
    JohnRo wrote: »
    The upshot is that support for those with disability is a drain on finance and resources, that's a fact.

And the rip-offs by MP's, Civil servants and Ministers ISNT ??
    The DWP = Legally kicking the Disabled when they are down.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure