We've made some changed to Competitions Time. Please see this thread.

PLEASE READ - Posts by the MSE Team and BG's - merged

Comments

• Dalkirst
    Dalkirst Posts: 9,210
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Andrea i'm not sure this is the way to go.We have never done it this way for the main reason that it takes much longer for BG's to do merges etc if they have to open more to find it's already been done by another BG let alone it's annoying:)
    Darren
  • catz747
    catz747 Posts: 20,381
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I had never heard of this before & I've been here a while :/
  • weeowens
    weeowens Posts: 81,990
    First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    edited 12 October 2012 at 9:41PM
    I've sent a pm to MSE Andrea requesting clarification on this.
    I just feel that some members will be put off sorting these merge requests out if the procedure becomes too involved.
    In my opinion the active dupe spotting/merge requesting members seems quite small in number at the moment.To make the task any harder may prove counterproductive & result in less merge requests being made.Just my view of course.
    I often see quite long standing members stating that they have not asked for a merge as they do not know how to do so.Any further tasks may just add to the burden of the active members as these novices may be even less willing to have a go at the task.
    Then there is the added pm pile on each BG.
  • fire**fly
    fire**fly Posts: 147,800
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    I feel a bit sad this has come about as i do tend to send a lot of merge requests to the same BG each time :o
    hoping i've not upset the BG by this if so i apologise :sad:
    please be a responsible pet owner & spay/neuter your pets, too many strays & not enough homes for them sadly. k2u58ioz4c8e.png

• OnceUponADream
    OnceUponADream Posts: 16,047 Forumite
    fire**fly wrote: »
    I feel a bit sad this has come about as i do tend to send a lot of merge requests to the same BG each time :o
    hoping i've not upset the BG by this if so i apologise :sad:

I would send alot to Dalkirst so I'm sure it's not finger pointing at anyone in particular.

Maybe the BG's could voice their opinion - like Dalkirst has? And the majority wins.....I don't mind either way
    The shinbone is a device for finding furniture in a dark room.
    :TBig thanks to all competition posters:T
  • MimiJane
    MimiJane Posts: 7,962
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    First I've heard of this ...

Agree, I think we need feedback from the boardguides, so no-one's confused/put out, etc. and we all know what we're supposed to be doing :)
    Wins since 2009 = £17,600

MANY THANKS TO ALL OPS
  • One-Eye
    One-Eye Posts: 66,257
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Would it make sense to have a thread (maybe a sticky) that was solely to request merges?

Users could post merge requests there and the BG's could take turns to periodically review them when they have time. A BG could "thank" the post to signal to the other BG's that they were just about to deal with it.

Other points:-
    1) Users who have not requested a merge before could see previous posts and hence the format to use to request one - much easier than learning the PM method (they may not have sent a PM before).

2) In cases where a merge has not yet been done but needs to be cancelled then either...
    ... a) the person who requested the merge could delete their post from the thread, or
    ... b) a third person could post saying "merge requested in post #79 is not required"

3) The BG's could see from the thanked posts who has done what, and thus share out the workload evenly.

4) When one of our regular BG's is away then there is no problem with them receiving PM's that can't be dealt with until they return. Temporary BG's from other boards could even be drafted in to help without having to get users to send them merge requests etc.

Anyway - it's up to the BG's to think about whether this may work better than the old or new PM method. I could give more detailed suggestions on how to organise the reviewing/thanking process if necessary.
  • weeowens
    weeowens Posts: 81,990
    First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    edited 12 October 2012 at 11:02PM
    Hi,One-Eye

I quite like the current system we have as I tend to know which BG is best placed sort the merge re online atm,past activity & other communications that I may have had with any of them.
    Saying that if change is to take place as outlined in post #1 above I would rather your method.
    We could just post the URL on the dupe,link to the Merging sticky & move on.
  • VelvetGlove
    VelvetGlove Posts: 12,008
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I'm now aware of this thread (thanks to the PM from one-eye :kiss: ) & have bookmarked it so I can come back to see what (if any) changes are necessary to the Comping Guide. (Did anyone else just think of the 'POLICE AWARE' sticker on the front of abandoned cars :rotfl: )

I've never heard of the
    send any requests eg merges to ALL board guides, not just one, and CC them all in
    system for merges & requests so apologies if the Comping Guide has led people astray :o It isn't something that I've ever come across, also no one else has flagged it up as an incorrect procedure in the last 4 years! :eek:

It does seem a shame that all the BGs would get the same message & lead to a lot of double-work involving checking to see if a merge has been actioned rather than just seeing a PM & dealing with it.

I do like the idea of a pinned thread for merges as that would possibly make it easier for members who aren't used to PM's & if it is just a thread to check for BG's then that may share the workload around more evenly? If we kept the same process of posting that we had requested the merge & linking to the merge thread then more members would see how simple it is & perhaps jump in & try :)
    One-Eye wrote: »
    4) When one of our regular BG's is away then there is no problem with them receiving PM's that can't be dealt with until they return. Temporary BG's from other boards could even be drafted in to help without having to get users to send them merge requests etc.

It would save the problems of a BG being away or not able to log in & the merge requests piling up in their inbox :) I believe that a BG only has 'powers' on their allocated boards, (I've seen posts in other forums from BG's to lead me to this conclusion - but I could be very wrong).

I'll stand ready to amend the Comping Guide, (if necessary). I know we all play in MSE's playground (so to speak) so we have to follow the stipluated rules, but I wonder whether some discussion might lead to a more equitable solution for our hard working board guides that is also fine with MSE Towers?
    Sad because you don't know what to do? :sad: Comping question? Take a look in the Comping Guide to find out :smiley:
  • Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,858
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Senior Ambassador
    Dalkirst wrote: »
    Andrea i'm not sure this is the way to go.We have never done it this way for the main reason that it takes much longer for BG's to do merges etc if they have to open more to find it's already been done by another BG let alone it's annoying:)
    I agree Dal

I don't mind doing any merges etc I'm sent, but I sometimes get 15+ in one day so it's reasonable to assume that Dal and divadee are getting similar amounts, potentially if all requests were sent to all BGs we could get 45+ requests per day, and spend time working through them to find they had all been done!!! this would be even worse if we had been offline a couple of days, we would still have to work through every merge pm to see if it had been done by another BG

there's actually only a small group of regulars that usually request merges and they post which BG they have sent the request to on the thread, if the bg in question hasn't been online for a couple of days they will usually resend it to another BG, or the post on the thread will be seen by one of us online and the merge done

has there been a problem reported with this system as I thought it worked well?
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure