Halifax ISA Investor

I have recently opened an ISA investor with Halifax. I'm new to S&S ISA's and I was wondering:

I own shares, right? So, do I receive a dividend on the shares? I'm thinking how do I make money? I know the shares might go up in value, so obviously they are worth more if that happens. However, is that the only way to get a return, if the share value goes up?

Comments

• Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Emm_Eff wrote: »
    I have recently opened an ISA investor with Halifax. I'm new to S&S ISA's and I was wondering:

1) I own shares, right? 2) So, do I receive a dividend on the shares? 3) I'm thinking how do I make money? 4) I know the shares might go up in value, so obviously they are worth more if that happens. However, is that the only way to get a return, if the share value goes up?

1) Yes
    2) Yes, but not all companies pay dividends.
    3) Share price goes up due to demand. There must be sufficient demand. What makes people want to buy shares? Future of the company.....
    4) This and dividends.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,259 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I own shares, right?

Not quite.
    So, do I receive a dividend on the shares?

The Halifax ISA investor invests into funds. You hold units in those funds. Those funds could contain shares, property or bonds depending on what fund(s) you choose to invest in.

Most funds have an element of income. You can choose to have that income reinvested or paid out. The unit price can go up and down as well.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Hi Dunston as you seem to be the oracle could you advise me:

Cash/S&S ISAs - can I get income from them when I am older?

Thanks.
    I am NOT a mortgage & insurance adviser - or anything to do with finance, that was put on by the new system I dont know why?!
  • dunstonh
    Cash/S&S ISAs - can I get income from them when I am older?

yes.

both can pay out the interest/income (or a fixed regular withdrawal in the case of the S&S ISA).

Cash ISAs are a bit risky to use for long term income provision due to inflation erosion but obviously S&S ISAs have investment risk. So, you need to make sure you have a balance between them.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Emm_Eff wrote: »

I own shares, right? So, do I receive a dividend on the shares? I'm thinking how do I make money? I know the shares might go up in value, so obviously they are worth more if that happens. However, is that the only way to get a return, if the share value goes up?

You make money if the funds increase in value over the period of ownership. Investing in an ISA with Halifax is not one of the better places to invest, generally poor performance.
    Mortgage free
    Vocational freedom has arrived
  • Hi

I have Halfax S&S ISA I am putting money in each month, you said they are not the best place, poor performance. Where would you recommend I move it to. I know nothing about S&S so don't feel I am able to buy them myself.
  • dunstonh
    nevertoold wrote: »
    Hi

I have Halfax S&S ISA I am putting money in each month, you said they are not the best place, poor performance. Where would you recommend I move it to. I know nothing about S&S so don't feel I am able to buy them myself.

See a local IFA. They have whole of market access unlike Halifax who only have their own brand.
  • 7sefton
    7sefton Posts: 606 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    dunstonh wrote: »
    See a local IFA. They have whole of market access unlike Halifax who only have their own brand.

Can you recommend the best way to locate a local IFA? I.e. is there a directory or something?
  • Ifts
    Ifts Posts: 1,951 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    edited 8 March 2010 at 6:21PM
    7sefton wrote: »
    Can you recommend the best way to locate a local IFA? I.e. is there a directory or something?
    logo.jpg

Link: http://www.unbiased.co.uk/find-an-ifa/default.asp

To select from all 8,000 IFA locations (not just the ones that have paid to advertise) untick the box in section 2.
    Never let the perfume of the premium overpower the odour of the risk
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport