Cheapest Boiler Cover Discussion

Comments

• Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Forumite
    Cheaper surely, Shreky to self insure. Blimey £15.50.
  • zoebel
    zoebel Posts: 63 Forumite
    A word of warning to anyone with a Norwich Union Home Emergency Policy coming up for renewal...they charge renewing customers 25% more than new customers. New customers are being charged £7.95 per month and renewing customers are being charged £9.95 per month.

To get round this simply refuse to renew and become a "new customer". I did and saved 24 pounds a year.

How does Norwich Union think it can get away with this?
  • we are in the same position with BG, we have a young son so dont want to be without the option to call them out if necessary.my BG contract due for renewal, is there anywehre else better to go?
    Im going to look on Quidco, if I do renew with them I will go through there to get money back.thanks lisa
  • zoebel
    I think for what you get (eg annual service) British Gas is hard to beat, but they do charge new customers less than existing ones.

You may be an existing customer but your partner is not. Therefore don't renew your account but get them to apply as a new customer. You will get the very best new customer rates and have continous cover.

Don't forget to apply online as you get a £1 per month "discount".

Next year don't renew again and start it in your name this time.
  • [/qoute]Why did they not tell my neighbour at the time of first service that if something goes wrong with the boiler it would be difficult to get hold of the parts. They kept on taking monthly payments knowing well that they would not be able to repair the boiler.[/quote]

British Gas policy is to tell a customer when their boiler becomes RSL(reduced spares list) so that they know that there may be a chance that their boiler can not be fixed. They will then suggest that a new boiler would be a better option & offer to quote because the cover they are getting at the present time may not value for money. This also applies when a customer is first taken on contract. My experience as a BG engineer is that most people take that risk & go on cover hoping that if a part is ever required it wont be on the can't get list. The can't get list means that BG parts centre at leicester does not have it on the shelf, so you may be able to get it elsewhere say Ebay where a ex gas engineer is having a clearout of his old spares.
    I've always found that a customers will always want to change their car before a boiler even though the car is 3 years old & the boiler is 20!!!!
  • My mum has home emergency cover as part of her bank account, and yet she is still paying nearly £30 a month for British gas homecare 400. I suggested that she cancelled the british gas policy but they talked to me about the two things covering different things.
    What is the true difference between the two?
    Also, the Lloyds cover requires you to arrange an annual service. I asked BG how much it would cost for them to just provide this, and they quoted £32 a month for our two boilers. (We have a Worcester condensing boiler for heating/kitchen hot water and an AGA Rayburn for domestic hot water) I can't believe this is the cheapest option.

Any advice?
  • zoebel
    Cancel the British Gas contract and just pay for the Home Emergency cover, but make sure you read all the small print first.

British Gas are having a laugh, no way does it cost £384 per year to service 2 boilers. If you want, you could go down to the 100 option with British Gas which is £12 a month a includes an annual boiler service.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    zoebel wrote: »
    Cancel the British Gas contract and just pay for the Home Emergency cover, but make sure you read all the small print first.

British Gas are having a laugh, no way does it cost £384 per year to service 2 boilers. If you want, you could go down to the 100 option with British Gas which is £12 a month a includes an annual boiler service.

I have had the BG servicing plan for many years and always found them to be excellent.

The problem with BG is that if you have 2 boilers(as I have) they treat it as 2 complete systems and charge as such; even though it takes just one annual visit.

I have written to BG and tried everyway to get them to charge for less than 2 full systems but they wouldn't budge.

The costs have almost doubled in 7 years and this year they wanted £462 after discounts(includes plumbing and drains - Homecare 300)

So reluctantly this year I have cancelled the contract and will get any repairs carried out on an 'as required' basis.
  • sparky61
    sparky61 Posts: 10,422
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I received a call from BG a few weeks ago to ask if I was going to renew my cover, I said I was going to compare prices before deciding. Yesterday, they rang again and I said I was still looking at cheaper options, the lady asked if I would like her to try and get a cheaper quote, she came back with 10% discount.
    :beer:
  • Taadaa
    Taadaa Posts: 2,113 Forumite
    Just out of interest, we weren't able to go onto BG because our boiler doesn't have a fuse spur. It is clearly able to be isolated in the main fuse box, but they wouldn't have it and wanted to get an electrician out to fit one at the cost of £150.

I told them to cancel it and have recieved a refudn for the months I have laready paid. They said there was nothing wrong with the boiler, but I reckon I will just keep the money I would have paid aside monthly in case it does go wrong.
    I have had many Light Bulb Moments. The trouble is someone keeps turning the bulb off :o

1% over payments on cc 3.5/100 (March 2014)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback