Free Personal Plumbing Info.

Comments

• Spike_3
    Spike_3 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Hi Ian,

My father-in-law's kitchen waste pipe had been blocked for a while and, since the washing machine is plumbed into it, was beginning to back-fill the sink. :eek: We'd managed to narrow it down to the part of the waste pipe outside the house that runs into the communal drainage system. We used a pressure washer with the drain cleaning adapter hose to free some of the muck out to allow the water to flow away.

Also, the washing machine is plumbed directly to the kitchen U-bend pipe.

1. What can we do to ensure that the outside drainage pipe doesn't become so blocked in the future?

2. Would it be better to fit a complete waste pipe for the washing machine & just hang its' waste pipe onto it (as most other homes do! )?

Thanks.

Spike.
  • koenig
    koenig Posts: 108
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    plumb1 wrote:
    it could also be because the cold pipe is above the hot,and takeing wasted heat from it.

So the answer is to lag all your hot water and C/H pipes which will reduce heat being dissipated to the surrounding air too!
  • plumb1_2
    plumb1_2 Posts: 4,395
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    koenig wrote:
    So the answer is to lag all your hot water and C/H pipes which will reduce heat being dissipated to the surrounding air too!

you could do this,but IMO not worth it,just run a little water.
  • Parky
    Parky Posts: 20 Forumite
    Hello Ian
    My plumbing problem is as follows:
    The hot bath tap has gone down to a drip. The flow in it was never very forceful, but always good. The cold bath tap is fine and powerful, as are ALL the other taps in bathroom and kitchen. I thought it might be an air-lock as I have had one of these before but I did the "DIY" method and the pipes didn't pop or rumble. Also, the other hot taps are fine.
    We live in an Edwardian conversion (built as Terrace in 1905, converted into Maisonettes in 1919) and have a suspicion there may be some lead piping rattling around.
    So, any ideas on what it could be and any ideas on how to fix it myself? Or cheaply?
    We only bought our home a few months ago and money is still a little tight!

With Kind Regards
    Laura Park
  • Nordav
    Nordav Posts: 3 Newbie
    Hello Ian,

We are updating our central heating - can you tell me if the system where the pipes run behind special skirting boards is an efficient one. We would like to free up some wall space by doing away with a couple of our current radiators.

Thanks
  • I want to reposition a radiator in one of the bedrooms underneath the window as its current location wastes space ideal for a bed or wardrobe.

Is this an easy task, what should I be aware of?

Many thanks.
  • legalmind_3
    legalmind_3 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Hi Ian,

Recently our one (and only) bathroom tap has started to flow very slowly. The bath, which is in the same room is working fine, as is the tap in the kitchen. As far as we can tell nothing as changed (i.e. we have checked the connections to the tap and they are the same as always)....

Any suggestions why there is a sudden drop in pressure?

If it helps we live in a flat in a converted period house.

Thanks in advance.
    Waddle you do eh?
  • Hiya,

I have several plumbing 'jobs' that have built up. As such I do not anticipate you could answer what I should do with them all, but how do I chose a plumber to come sort them all for me? (Good quality or work, reasonable price, won't have me buying stuff I don't need)

Tasks:
    Central Heating - I have a unit blocking the one radiator in my dining room so I had to trun it off. The only available 'wall space' is limited and in the corners, is there an alternative to replace the traditional style radiator and can the alternative be plumbed into the same system>

Central Heating - my control box display has gone. If I press the screen, some of the digits appear, but it is very hard to see. Can the displays be repaired or do I need a whole new control box?

Toilets - I have low flush toilets but they never flush unless you do the 'method' right which is to push the flush down once then quickly do a second time and hold it down. I am fine, but guests always struggle.

Any advise would be much appreciated.
    Samantha
    p.s. I am in North Yorkshire
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,
    but by the moments that take our breath away
  • Hi Ian

It's a long time since I did any plumbing, and I believe push-fit plastic is now suitable for household pressure fittings.

Could you advise please on the best buy (Brand) in this. Many thanks
  • Sluidin
    Sluidin Posts: 1 Newbie
    Bathroom sink and bath really bad smelling drains.
    tried all regular household agents - no joy.
    Help............................
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport