Pointshop.co.uk has debited me for £45 x 2!

Comments

• Lucy_Snow
    Lucy_Snow Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 25 April 2012 at 10:35AM
    Wealdroam, I disagree about me being ‘unfair’ on Pointshop. I believe it is Pointshop who are unfair as – let’s face it - they deliberately trick people into a subscription they don’t know about until the money has left the bank account. The site should make clear what one is signing up for and it doesn’t – hence the hundreds of complaints online about the company. Further, I was lured into their site initially because they had somehow posted on a (very trustyworthy) friend’s Facebook page saying ‘omg, I just received a free ipad from pointshop. It’s really worth signing up with them’. He later spotted the post and demanded that it be removed but it was too late as I had already seen it and taken ‘his’ advice. The whole manner in which Pointshop operate is underhand and clearly they make a great deal of money from their obfuscations and that is the point of them. If there had been clear mention of a subscription costing £45 I wouldn’t have gone anywhere near them but it was not clear on the page I read at the time of giving my bank details. Of course, it was dumb of me to hand the bank details over but everything about their site is dishonest and my biggest mistake was naivete whereas their’s is dishonesty. I use Amazon and other reputable sites frequently and they make everything very clear and deal with punters honestly and transparently. It isn’t difficult to do but Pointshop make sure they are NOT transparent as this would mean a huge dip in their profits.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Lucy_Snow wrote: »
    Wealdroam, I disagree about me being ‘unfair’ on Pointshop.
    But the specific point I made was that you received an email from them which stated that they were going to deduct £45 from your bank account.

You have told us that you have arranged that emails from them get sent straight to your spam folder. In other words, you chose not to read it.

I say again...
    ...if they sent you an email saying they were about to deduct some money from your account, in my opinion it seems just a little unfair for you to say they didn't tell you.

How can you possibly disagree with that?
  • I didn't 'arrange' for their emails to go to Spam. Their mail ended up there but it was nothing to do with anything I had done. Most email accounts will filter stuff from suspicious sources. The Facebook link that was posted on my friend's account, which was what tempted me in in the first place, was posted not by him but by malware or similar. It purported to come from him and was thus dishonest. I accept that they send an email after you've signed up, albeit I imagine a lot of people will have experienced the same problem ie it goes to trash or spam so they don't see it - and this covers them in any legal dealings but they bank on us not seeing or closely reading this mail. The whole business is based on the premise that they can catch you out. A case against them may not hold up in a court of law but it's clear that they rely on their little tricks to get suckers like me signed up and paying a sub before we're made aware of the scam.
  • I too have just discovered that I have been scammed by this organisation.
    I have spoken to my bank who have knowledge of Pointshop and recommended that I cancel my account and then email them asking for a refund.
    I have done both and also threatened in the email that I will pursue this through legal channels as well representing it in the british press if I have not had a full refund within 14 days.
    I would suggest we all email everyone and anyone via all social media outlets we have available telling people to be aware this con trick and for them not to get caught out as we have.
    My bank, think it highly unlikely I will get refunded the £45 they have taken, however, I now have an email from Pointship stating that my account is now deleted, the bank say that should they now try to take more money from my account, they will reimburse it to me and take up a dispute with them.
    Still on the bright side, the Oralb electric toothbrush was not such a bargain but at £46 was still cheaper than boots!
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Lucy_Snow wrote: »
    I didn't 'arrange' for their emails to go to Spam. Their mail ended up there but it was nothing to do with anything I had done. Most email accounts will filter stuff from suspicious sources.
    And most email accounts will give you the option to make your own decisions on what goes directly to the spam folder.

My email provider, yahoo, sends everything to my inbox until I mark an email as spam. From then on, everything from that sender goes directly to my spam folder.
    Thus it learns what is spam from my decisions.

It might be a good idea to review just what is being sent to your spam folder, as I suspect you may in future be blaming some other unfortunate company of shady dealings.

Oh, please don't think I am saying that Pointshop are doing nothing wrong, just that you need to share some of the responsibility for the situation you are in.
  • makara
    makara Posts: 462 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    wealdroam wrote: »
    And most email accounts will give you the option to make your own decisions on what goes directly to the spam folder

"Most" being the operative word - I use Sky's g-mail - and while it does give you the option of selecting what is Spam, it decides quite a few items for you by itself - most of which ARE spam, but some of which are definitely not...
  • chazmo
    chazmo Posts: 60 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ive been a memeber with point shop since dec 2011. Tryed to unsubcribe but site wouldnt allow me to. i forgot all about the site untill yesturday when £45.00 disapperead. my bank said they cant help as im a member of website. has anyone actually got there money back from them??
  • makara
    makara Posts: 462 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I doubt you'll get your money back (I didn't) - but to make sure you are unsubscribed so you don't get charged £45 again, follow the steps in this post -

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=52404671&postcount=26
  • Thankfully, found the post to unsubscribe on MSE forum so just did (though lost £45 already).

Is there anyway we can report them to OFT or someone who could take their website offline and prevent other people from falling prey ?
  • zohre6
    zohre6 Posts: 3 Newbie
    I am proceding with legal advice regarding this company. I have evidence that they HACKED INTO my Facebook account in order to send me the original offer of a free iPad. The message gave the impression it was from one of my facebook friends (claiming she'd just received her free one), but she never sent such a message. Facebook said it was someone in Germany trying to logon as me and use my account, so I was asked to change my password. I never did get the £1 electric toothbrush I have paid for, which was the only payment I authorised. I did find an email on their website they claimed to have sent me explaining the £45 payments, but I never received any email about terms and conditions - I even checked my spam/junk emails - nothing dated from that time, only subsequent ones after the £45 payment had been taken!! They are clearly fraudulent, giving the impression they're in the UK by using a .co.uk url, but they don't even have a UK phone number to take complaints.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure