When are you a grown up?

Sitting thinking about this..........

Sitting here at 40 wearing clothes that many would say are too young for me and wondering if anyone else at my age still doesn't feel like a "real" adult???

For the record I have a responsible job and Mr Z has his own small business....:eek::eek::eek:

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,090 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I felt grown up when my kids started to leave home.

I felt old when my youngest left full time education.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    When I was a teen, parents were so stuffy and old and grown up so I thought come 40 I'd be looking for my slippers and wyncette nightie

I'm 52 and today I've had great fun with nerf guns, scalectric, painting nails, playing scary monsters and eating junk.

Monday we will be hosting older friends and it will still be madness with table tennis, archery, general tomfoolery and a good few glasses of something extremely alcoholic :)

Me and he just love to laugh at life. We still love winding up all the egg timers in a shop :)
  • When your parents die, and you realise you are the oldest generation....
  • Funnily enough, my OH and I (both 63) were talking about this today. I was saying that I still think of myself as a girl, as I don't feel any different to when I was one. Just when exactly do you stop being a girl? When I come back from a school reunion, I talk about the "boys" who were present! I'm lucky to have both parents still alive, so Andypandyboy might have a point. Hopefully I won't find out anytime soon.
  • piglet74
    piglet74 Posts: 2,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I'm 42, and I don't feel as old as I thought my parents were at this age.

I remember my mum having a 40th birthday party and I remember thinking she was too old for a party ( I was 17, almost 18 at the time)

I have an 18 year old daughter, and if it wasn't for her I would forget what age I actually am!!
  • thorsoak
    thorsoak Posts: 7,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I'm not sure ...I'm only 73 - and having problems accepting the fact that my big brother has now turned 80 - does that mean that we ought to be grown ups now? :-D
  • clairec79
    clairec79 Posts: 2,512 Forumite
    I remember when pregnant with my youngest I was cooking tea and it suddenly hit me that I must be a grown up (not sure why it happened, think the phrase pregnant, barefoot and in the kitchen hit me for some reason - I rarely wear shoes or socks inside the house)

Why I suddenly thought I must be a grown up then when the mortgage, marriage, responsible career and three other children hadn't.

I still don't feel like an adult though
  • zaxdog
    zaxdog Posts: 774 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    These are amazing replies. I'm sitting here in a mini kilt with bright scarlet hair wondering if I should be acting like an adult (or at least looking like one)
  • onlyroz
    onlyroz Posts: 17,661 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    When you meet a police officer/doctor/nurse/teacher and you wonder if they've started shaving yet.
  • piglet74
    piglet74 Posts: 2,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    thorsoak wrote: »
    I'm not sure ...I'm only 73 - and having problems accepting the fact that my big brother has now turned 80 - does that mean that we ought to be grown ups now? :-D

Are you honestly 73?? I obviously don't know you, but I can't believe that you are 73, judging that solely on your posts, you just seem so much younger!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure