PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Veggie Pasta bake help....

Hi, I know this is gonna sound like a silly question, but I can't find the answer the the two cook books I have!
I'm gonna make a cheesey veggie pasta bake for tea, coz i've got veggies that need using up. It's litterally gonna be veg and pasta, with a white/cheese sauce and cheese on the top.
Do I need to boil/steam the veg first, or will they cook in the oven? Gonna use broccoli, cauli, carrots and peppers.

Thanks

Sraah
'We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars' - Oscar Wilde

Comments

• MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Hi sarah
    I always just give the veg a quick steam....or if im feeling lazy a quick blast in the microwave...just enough to get them started...then they will finish off in the oven without going sloppy...
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • Sharifa_2
    Sharifa_2 Posts: 689 Forumite
    I usually make up the sauce first, with the veggies partly sauteed, then add a tin of tomatoes. You'll want some moisture in the veg mix if you're using dried pasta in the oven, so that it can soften and cook. If you're cooking the pasta first, and just putting the cheese sauce on top then you can get away with a less sloppy sauce.
  • Sharra
    Sharra Posts: 751 Forumite
    I often make broccoli and pasta cheesy bake - I always steam the brocolli first, but make sure its just underdone if you are going to finish off the bake in the oven :)
  • bigfoot125
    bigfoot125 Posts: 574 Forumite
    please can you tell me what the recipe is for your bake,sounds yummy!!!
  • Sharifa_2
    Sharifa_2 Posts: 689 Forumite
    I do whatever I've got - always onions, frequently mushrooms, courgettes, spinach, carrots, sweetcorn, peppers. Whatever you fancy really. Mine is like a veggie bolognese sauce, and I don't do the cheese sauce, but sometimes I do breadcrumbs or crumble on top.
  • BornSloppy
    BornSloppy Posts: 288 Forumite
    I like to pre steam veg before cooking in oven
  • SarahNeedle1872
    SarahNeedle1872 Posts: 6,166 Forumite
    bigfoot125 wrote: »
    please can you tell me what the recipe is for your bake,sounds yummy!!!

I've got broccolli, cauli, carrots and parsnips sat in the fridge, so I was just gonna chuck them in together. I guess you could just use any veg really...
    I learned how to make a cheese sauce from scratch last week when I made a lasagne:D , so all I was gonna do was put the veg (pre steamed - thanks everyone!), the cooked pasta and the cheese sauce in a big Pyrex dish, cover it with crushed crisps (for extra crunch) and grated cheese and bake it in the oven.
    It's not so much of a recipe as a 'chuck it all in and see what happens':rolleyes:
    Might be nice, might be minging, but I won't know til I've tried!

Sarah x
    'We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars' - Oscar Wilde
  • SarahNeedle1872
    SarahNeedle1872 Posts: 6,166 Forumite
    Sharifa wrote: »
    I do whatever I've got - always onions, frequently mushrooms, courgettes, spinach, carrots, sweetcorn, peppers. Whatever you fancy really. Mine is like a veggie bolognese sauce, and I don't do the cheese sauce, but sometimes I do breadcrumbs or crumble on top.

That sounds yummy too! What do you do with the spinach to stop it going soggy - mine ALWAYS goes like wet kitchen roll

Sarah x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure