Quick stocks and shares ISA question

Options
Hi all,

I've just taken the plunge and opened my first stocks and shares ISA. I somewhat foolishly choose a provider based on a friend's recommendation, but being a first time investor I hadn't realised that the minimum lump sum investment was per fund and not per account. As such I cannot afford my ideal portfolio at this time on this platform.

My question is this: given that I have not paid any cash into the ISA, can I open another stocks and shares ISA elsewhere and leave the original untouched? How about transferring the £0 balance to another provider, am I allowed to do that and then start contributing? If so, am I allowed to pay in immediately or do I have to wait for the transfer of the £0 to be finalised?

Sorry if these are pretty basic questions - I'm new to this and couldn't find specific answers to my questions.

Thanks

Comments

• barak
    barak Posts: 1,258 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    As you haven't subscribed to the original ISA, you can simply open one with another provider.
    ".....where it is corrupt, purge it....."
  • stefankemp
    Options
    So it doesn't matter that I opened the account, only that I haven't paid anything in?
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yup but beware any exit fees to close the account.
  • barak
    Options
    That's it!
  • barak
    Options
    I don't think exit fees can be charged for an unfunded ISA. Even if funded, there is a cooling off period which should be described in the Key Information/Terms & Conditions.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,054 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    stefankemp wrote: »
    I've just taken the plunge and opened my first stocks and shares ISA. I somewhat foolishly choose a provider based on a friend's recommendation, but being a first time investor I hadn't realised that the minimum lump sum investment was per fund and not per account. As such I cannot afford my ideal portfolio at this time on this platform.
    Without visibility of either your ideal portfolio or the amounts you're planning to invest, I'd observe that it would be quite unusual for multiple small investments to be the optimal strategy for a newbie investor with limited available capital. Not impossible but unlikely IMHO, what do you have in mind?
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    barak wrote: »
    I don't think exit fees can be charged for an unfunded ISA. Even if funded, there is a cooling off period which should be described in the Key Information/Terms & Conditions.

I just read the HL T&Cs (as I know they like applying closure fees) and yes their S&S ISA, JISA and dealing account can be closed with 14 days and their Lifetime ISA can be closed in 30 days from account opening without incurring a closure fee.

Alex.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport