Lifetime ISAs guide

Comments

• Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 17 January 2018 at 7:46AM
    From an HMRC perspective it's the same LISA transfering between providers. You can continue to contribute to it up the the annual limit.

I don't have a Skipton LISA but many providers will tell you how much more you can contribute based on what they have been told by your previous ISA (HTB and LISA) providers.
  • I've just had an offer accepted on a house and I'm trying to work out whether I'm better off transferring my HtB ISA (plus a little bit more) into the LISA in both 17/18 and 18/19. Does anyone know when the bonuses for the LISA will be applied to the accounts?

My understanding is that bonus will be applied at the end of the tax year (so 5th April) and then monthly, so if I put in the annual limit on say, 31st March and 6th April, I should have both years' bonuses available by the start of May. Is there any chance that's right?

The other complication is that it's with Nutmeg, so they won't arrange the transfer. Would there be any penalties / disadvantages I should look out for if I'm transferring it myself?
  • Alexland
    edited 18 January 2018 at 9:21PM
    I assume your situation meets all criteria for using the HTB ISA against the property purchase.

You need to have had your LISA open 12 months before it can be used to purchase property. The first bonus relating to this tax year (and previous if transfering an old HTB ISA) is due in late April or early May. After that the bonus is due 1-2 months after the contribution so May or June at earliest.

This is the first time LISA bonuses have been paid so there is possibility of unexpected delays with some or all providers.

You would need to transfer the LISA to Skipton then transfer the HTB ISA to Skipton ASAP as they gave a cutoff date in a months time. It's always the gaining provider that arranges the transfer.

Alternatively use the HTB ISA for the property purchase and use the LISA to invest for retirement alongside a workplace pension.

So if your offer had been accepted, for your situation, do you expect to be able to hold back on using the money until May+? How established is your chain, etc?

Alex
  • Rather than begin a new thread, may I just jump in to get a quick sanity-check to make sure I'm not missing something obvious please?

I'm just about to open a Skipton Cash LISA, and intend to transfer my entire H2B (Natwest) over to it, with a view to buying in apx 5yrs (keeping open the option of later transferring to a S&S Lisa in the next couple of years, if I think this 5yr plan will be delayed significantly).

I opened my H2B in December '16 and deposit the usual £200 p/m.
    I work out my pre 17/18 contributions as being £1607.45 inc interest.
    Current balance as is £3443.86.
    My Feb deposit will make it £3640 ish, and presumably in March, the transfer process will be in the middle of happening so I won't want to contribute anything that month...

This being the case, since the entire amount I'm transferring is below the 4k limit for 17/18, I don't even need to factor-in my pre 17/18 contributions, is that correct?

I don't have enough money to instantly max it out in April, so will be drip-feeding contributions over the course of the coming year - but even if I did, as of April/18, the annual limit resets so any contributions from that point on, simply need to stay under the £4k for tax year 18/19, right?

Sorry for the obvious question - I ask because I was sat there working out how much my pre 17/18 contributions amounted to, and then it occurred to me that I was wasting my time even thinking about it, if the entire amount being transferred was under £4k...
  • Alexland
    edited 20 January 2018 at 8:06PM
    Yes if your total HTB transfer with interest is less than £4k and you don't intend to add any more this tax year that's fine you are definitely under the LISA limit for contributions this tax year.

However get the transfer going asap and give Skipton as much notice as possible to get their work done. You can always add your Feb/March contributions to the LISA once transferred by 5th April.

If all your contributions were made this tax year you will have a full £4k LISA allowance next tax year. Given the low interest rate you might be better putting the money into the LISA as a lump sum towards the end of the tax year in future so it can earn better money elsewhere in the meantime.

It is tricky with being 5 years away from purchasing - too short for S&S without risking a loss and too long for cash at a rubbish interest rate. No perfect answer for your situation.

Alex
  • Cash-Strapped.T32
    Cash-Strapped.T32 Posts: 562 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 20 January 2018 at 11:54PM
    Thanks Alex, much appreciated mate. :)

Yes, I agree that the time-frame isn't ideal - if I knew for certain I was going to be looking at 6-7yrs plus I'd jump at a S&S LISA right now; In fact, indecision over whether to go cash or S&S is why I've waited this long to set up my LISA in the first place.. :o

The larger part of me is saying settle for cash and just be happy with the 25%, but the smaller (yet more vocal) part of me is saying push my timeframe out to that 6-7yrs & go S&S... Gah, decisions! ;)

Cheers for the straightforward advice though.
  • Alexland
    edited 21 January 2018 at 8:43AM
    Yes, I agree that the time-frame isn't ideal - if I knew for certain I was going to be looking at 6-7yrs plus I'd jump at a S&S LISA right now; In fact, indecision over whether to go cash or S&S is why I've waited this long to set up my LISA in the first place.. :o

The larger part of me is saying settle for cash and just be happy with the 25%, but the smaller (yet more vocal) part of me is saying push my timeframe out to that 6-7yrs & go S&S... Gah, decisions! ;)

In your position I wouldn't be happy having at least 5 years in which my money was being erroded by inflation. That's likely to be at least a 10% drop in spending power.

Historically over a 5 year investment period in global shares you would be around 10% likely to end in a loss position. However historically the loss at the end might be as much as 30% (say a 50% drop after a few years of low returns, etc).

https://www.nutmeg.com/nutmegonomics/increasing-your-chances-of-positive-portfolio-returns-the-facts-about-long-term-investing/

One consideration is that a balanced investment in stocks and bonds on a traditional 60/40 ratio within a S&S LISA wrapper is going to be a lot more stable than a 100% equities investment. Your probably of loss over 5 years is still probably around 10% but the extent of the loss should be lower. With regular contributions you will also benefit from pound cost averaging.

It's also worth remembering that when stock markets drop badly you sometimes see drops to a lesser extent, across other asset types such as bonds and property. So even if your LISA drops (a bit less because it's balanced) then maybe the price of your purchase might have also dropped so everything is still relative. Still every market correction is different.

If you do go S&S remember Nutmeg don't accept HTB transfers and AJ Bell charge £1.50 per trade so HL is probably your best option for regular contributions. In your position I would consider investing in a balanced fund such as Vanguard LifeStrategy 60. I wouldn't go too heavily into 'safe' bonds as that strategy would carry it's own risks and the upside is limited.

If you do well in the first couple of years maybe move back to cash for the last few years to protect the gains from a drop at the end.

However I am not allowed to offer advice, just raise options and considerations and give my thoughts. It's your call on risk of downside for potential return.

Whatever you do - good luck!

Alex.
  • Thank you - really, thanks, that has given me some serious food for thought.
    I guess I was sort sleep-walking into a default position of going cash & just putting up with the downsides, and while the info is there for all of us to see, your putting it bluntly like that is kind of the kick up the a**e I need to give it proper consideration. :cool:

I'd been toying with AJ Bell but I hadn't really considered the higher cost for drip-feeding, I'm going to take a good look at HL today.

By the way, I like how you turned my idea around - I was considering starting in cash & then moving to S&S if it looked like my time-scale was going to run longer, but starting in S&S and then moving to cash (if I make gains worth locking-in) gives more flexibility doesn't it; As obvious as it seems I didn't even see that option! :o

Ok - again, I appreciate you taking the time to put that into words, if I do go S&S hopefully you & the other well informed guys won't mind giving your opinions on what I've decided to put my savings into.
    Cheers! :beer:
  • Alexland
    edited 21 January 2018 at 1:39PM
    Yup. Is a question on if you just accept defeat or risk it for a potentially greater prize.

A further option would be to gradually move the 60/40 portfolio to cash over the years - say 1% per month so you have more certainty of outcome for the final years? Again these trades would be free on HL.

If you are only investing for 5 years or less also worth considering account closure charges so maybe build a spreadsheet to determine if AJ Bell or HL work out cheaper for your situation.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Just to confirm H2Bs and LISAs are BOTH tax-free savings products ?

Also, is anyone able to clarify regarding interest earned on H2B balances post 05.04.17 (does this detract from the maximum 4K LISA subscription allowance for the 17/18 tax year as I'm seeing conflicting ideas reading through this thread!)

Thanks in advance
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure