Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Aldi's Holly Lane range is made by Mr Kipling. Though I haven't eaten this stuff for ages. I remember going to Aldi once and they had both MK and HL Battenberg cake next to each other and they were identical - bar the MK one which was 20-25p more, At the time of me looking at both - a customer picked up a MK one and I said they are the same as the HL. Customer's reply "Don't be stupid"
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Aldi's Holly Lane range is made by Mr Kipling. Though I haven't eaten this stuff for ages. I remember going to Aldi once and they had both MK and HL Battenberg cake next to each other and they were identical - bar the MK one which was 20-25p more, At the time of me looking at both - a customer picked up a MK one and I said they are the same as the HL. Customer's reply "Don't be stupid"

The power of the brand! And you still get died in the wool Tesco/Morrisons/Asda customers who refuse to shop at Aldi and Lidl because "It's all cheap foreign rubbish".

Interesting, isn't it, that it's often the people who can least afford to shop at Morrisons/Tesco/Asda who refuse to shop anywhere else.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Customer's reply "Don't be stupid"
    Right back atchya!

giphy.gif
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • PLRFD
    PLRFD Posts: 1,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Oooo she's pretty cute.
  • System
    Doc_N wrote: »
    The power of the brand! And you still get died in the wool Tesco/Morrisons/Asda customers who refuse to shop at Aldi and Lidl because "It's all cheap foreign rubbish".

Interesting, isn't it, that it's often the people who can least afford to shop at Morrisons/Tesco/Asda who refuse to shop anywhere else.

They are ignorant.

When A and L first opened here, did the products have English translated stickers on most of them?

I shop for my produce in Asda as they keep for longer. For lunch, I had some raspberries from Asda dated 17th. No mould. Aldi's would have mould on them on the day
  • System
    I work in retail and some of my customers don't shop at A or L as they don't like the speed of the cashiers scanning and put off packing away on a work top high shelf.

Another reason is that they don't seem to think customers want to buy a few items and have to queue up with customers buying 70 plus items. Though credit to Lidl for having self scans
  • Happygreen
    Happygreen Posts: 2,948 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Aldi has some so called paleo/raw nut bars by the tills - just thought I'd mention that they are extremely yummy and considering what we'd be paying for a similar bar at Holland & Barrett - real brain food ;)
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win - Gandhi
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    ... put off packing away on a work top high shelf.

I put stuff onto the conveyor belt in precisely the order I wish to pack them. So as fast as it's coming through I'm packing it as I know it's already in the right (weight/shape/size) order.

If you plan the till like a strategic operation it's swift/smooth ... and the worktops can be used for a final jiggle/rethink if required.

The hardest thing is if I've popped in for a quick look, without having my own bag, and ended up buying 5-6 things in a basket as I then leave the store with everything in my arms as you leave the basket before the conveyor belt. I do sometimes take the basket through, so I can take it to the worktop to empty it into my arms... then they remind you "you can't take that out of the store", as the alarms go off. Since I've got a Granny Trolley though it's easier to "shop on a whim, not expecting you're buying things and suddenly spotting something"
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I take their empty boxes to carry my shopping in - either boxes that are empty on the shelves (doing them a favour by clearing them) or the ones that have already been collected (usually into a giant cardboard box).

I use the waste boxes to pack eBay sales. :)
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,583 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I put stuff onto the conveyor belt in precisely the order I wish to pack them. So as fast as it's coming through I'm packing it as I know it's already in the right (weight/shape/size) order.

I do exactly that. I don't find it a problem at all. I think that's another bonus of Aldi and Lidl: having small shops it doesn't take long to get around so with the fast checkout it's win/win.

I suppose like most things it's about 'you pay your money and take your choice'. If people want to pay through the nose at other SMs for a slower shopping experience then let them.

I do stop briefly at the counter to check my receipt just in case.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure