Old Style Fuse Box user - some ceiling lights out

Hope someone can offer some assistance whilst I am waiting on the expert help of an electrician . It's probably a familiar poser and easy to solve for those who know their stuff, but I'm clueless in the dept.

Basically, arrived home from work the other night. Popped into the bathroom, pulled the light cord and the bulb flashed as if to come on then promptly went out. New bulb required, I thought. No. The replacement made no difference. Tried another to be sure. Same result - nothing. Then I tried other lights - the rooms leading up to the bathroom are fine, ceiling lights working okay, but from bathroom into living room and then into kitchen, it's a no go. No sign of any water damage into fitting from flat above (as yet!!!) and the reason I'm saying that is because the lady above has had trouble with her water pressure and her toilet flushing has sounded like someone drilling!! (that's still happening, incidentally). And then there is an occasional banging sound, though I think that might be her water pressure again. During this, my socket lights flicker a little.

Sounds like a seance. Should I call an exorcist instead? But seriously, this is doing my head in and I hope someone can come up with any ideas so that I have at least a bit of an idea ahead of the electrician's visit (God help him!).

Thanks, guys! :)

Comments

• EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,138 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I think you'll need a clairvoyant (as well as the exorcist) to fault find over the internet. A loose connection somewhere between the last one that works & the first one that doesn't is a good bet.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • EssexExile wrote: »
    I think you'll need a clairvoyant (as well as the exorcist) to fault find over the internet. A loose connection somewhere between the last one that works & the first one that doesn't is a good bet.

Yes, well, thanks for that. I just wondered if perhaps the upstairs troubles could be in any way related based on my explanation of events with lights flickering during the banging and the fact that this fault happened after this water pressure issue came about for her. It may be coincidence, I may be clutching at straws but I had just hoped that someone may have experienced anything similar.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Are the lights for the bathroom, living room and kitchen on a different circuit - protected by a different fuse?

Have you checked for a blown fuse?

It is quite common for a failing lamp to blow a fuse.
  • wealdroam wrote: »
    Are the lights for the bathroom, living room and kitchen on a different circuit - protected by a different fuse?

Have you checked for a blown fuse?

It is quite common for a failing lamp to blow a fuse.

Thanks. I reckon they must be. Will need to get the electrician to check that (though he probably will do that as a matter of course, I would imagine). I am too afraid to start conducting my own investigations given that I am inexperienced and don't want to make matters worse. It'll be fuse wire that's blown (if so) as it is an old style fuse box.
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,307 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    It is possible that vibration has caused the flickering. I had an issue a couple of weeks ago when, every time we closed the door to the key cupboard (same location as the fuse boxes) the lights downstairs flickered. Upon investigation I discovered that the particular fuse was on the point of failing and the opening and closing of the door was enough to cause it to move giving an opening and closing of the circuit. Sorted very quickly.

If you know where your fuse box(es) is/are AND they are labelled, it is a simple matter to remove the correct one and renew the fuse wire. The difficult part will be, "now where do I keep the spare fuse wire of all different grades?"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure