PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Newbie to the thrifty life!

Comments

• betty77
    betty77 Posts: 30 Forumite
    Hello all thank you so much for all your advice and suggestions!

I should clarify that my partner does give me "personal" money into my account each month but I have to say it tends to be eaten up with general household spending such as buying cleaning products and bits of food shopping so that their is very little leftover for things I need for myself. I am now keeping a small notepad in the kitchen to add items to when we need them so that I can add them to the general food shopping list which my partner pays for so that I can use the money he gives me for my own needs. He makes a decent wage and he isn't mean and he doesn't spend a lot on himself at all but I am aware that he is paying for everything and its hard not to feel guilty although I imagine I am a lot cheaper than hiring a housekeeper!

I don't think I would qualify for PIP, I probably would have under DLA but the criteria is so much tougher for PIP especially for my condition.

I know that surveys etc can't make up for the income I used to have but they might make what money I do have go a little further or help me buy christmas and birthday gifts.

I will have a good look at all the advice given to me here I have already signed up to swag bucks and already have almost enough to buy a £5 amazon voucher! I have also entered some competitions nothing that will cost me any money to enter and only things I could use or sell so perhaps that will pay off in some way!

Now I just need to devise a system to stay on top of it all!
  • whiteguineapig
    whiteguineapig Posts: 1,365
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    there is a very good swagbacks thread with loads of tips, i check that everyday
  • mumofthetwins
    mumofthetwins Posts: 1,111 Forumite
    Please don't shoot me here but what about a wee part time job ? if you don't need a certain number of hours it might make it a bit more flexable and if you've already lost your bennifits its not going to effect those ?
    Lisa x
    DFW
    January £0/£11,100

NSD
    January 1/31
  • betty77
    I would love a part time job but I have tried in the past and I have always been let go within weeks as my health meant I was too unreliable. My condition is chronic but fluctuating meaning I can be fine one day and totally bed ridden the next.
    My goal is to find a job working from home in some way so that I can make my own hours. This would be ideal as it would mean I could work extra hours the days I am fine and when I am ill I'm not letting anyone down.
    Also even though I have lost all payments I am still registered as unable to work due to ill health.
  • betty77
    there is a very good swagbacks thread with loads of tips, i check that everyday

Thanks I will check out the swagbuck thread now :)
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,493
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    betty77 wrote: »
    I should clarify that my partner does give me "personal" money into my account each month but I have to say it tends to be eaten up with general household spending such as buying cleaning products and bits of food shopping so that their is very little leftover for things I need for myself. I am now keeping a small notepad in the kitchen to add items to when we need them so that I can add them to the general food shopping list which my partner pays for so that I can use the money he gives me for my own needs.

As you're the 'housekeeper', is it possible for you to take over all the household shopping instead of just buying the bits that you run out of?

When posters ask about moneysaving, the best tips are often on food shopping by downsizing or batchcooking or meal planning or other ideas. That way you could manage the budget and any savings could be split between you and OH which means you both win financially and he also saves time doing a shop.
  • betty77
    I am in charge of the shopping as in what we buy and I cook everything from scratch we just have a tiny freezer though so not a lot of room to store food. We also meal plan etc but there are always ways to cut back!
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,493
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    betty77 wrote: »
    I am in charge of the shopping as in what we buy and I cook everything from scratch we just have a tiny freezer though so not a lot of room to store food. We also meal plan etc but there are always ways to cut back!

Shame about the tiny freezer, perhaps that could go on the list?

If you decide on what to buy and what to cook, it would only be a small step for you to have the food budget cash to manage yourself. How does it work now? Dies your DH do internet shopping or go alone and bring back what's on your list?

It's many, many years since I haven't had my own income but I know when DD was small back in the day I had 'housekeeping' and I could save on that to give me some spare cash of my own over and above our household budget. I felt I'd earned it by making savings. That's the sort of thing I was suggesting.
  • Chris25
    Chris25 Posts: 12,918
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Have you thought about putting a wanted ad on sites like Freecycle/Gumtree/Freegle/Preloved? - I've sometimes seen art materials on those for free.
  • jackyann
    jackyann Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    Definitely get on the freecycle / freegle sites and call in to the charity shops when out & about. Amazing what art & craft stuff is offered.
    I would also keep an eye open in the library / local papers etc. I have a couple of friends who do small amounts of clerical work for local trusts / organisations - it has to be done within a flexible time frame, so can suit someone with good / bad days.
    Investigate making bread, soup & stock from scratch, all ideal things to do when you're at home.
    Good luck
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport