PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Hayfever Remedies - O/S!

Afternoon you knowledgeable peeps....

Hope you're all enjoying the great weather! Spare a thought for the poor hayfever sufferers though...
Was wondering if there were any old style remedies for hayfever that any of you might be aware of. The pollen count seems to have been ridiculously high recently:o

Many thanks :beer:

Comments

• no.1swimmum
    no.1swimmum Posts: 1,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    my son takes and swears by bees pollen tablets - he starts taking them in March and stops at the end of September and is completely symptom free during this time. Before we tried these it was like he constantly had a heavy cold, streaming nose, sore eyes etc but none of this now he started using them when he was 14 and is now 25. Hope this helps.
    Fibro-Warrior
  • Wizard_of_Id
    Wizard_of_Id Posts: 5,512 Forumite
    chamomile tea

I personally have not tried it as a remedy but others swear by it.
  • kathrynha
    kathrynha Posts: 2,469 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    my son takes and swears by bees pollen tablets

Where do you get them from?

Hayfever is really bad this year, and my normal tablets and nasal spray just aren't up to the job, so willing to try pretty much anything
    Zebras rock
  • no.1swimmum
    no.1swimmum Posts: 1,508 Forumite
    he bought his most recent stash! from amazon, but he usually checks a few different sites as sometimes they have a deal that can save him money.
    In March when he starts taking them he takes 2 when he wakes up, from about April he reduces to one a day for the rest of the season.

Holland and Barret are currently selling 100 tablets for £13.99, but this is the link to the current brand he is taking from Amazon £5.99 for the same 100 tablets
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bee-Health-500mg-Pollen-Capsules/dp/B0013G6C5W/ref=sr_1_1_s_it?s=drugstore&ie=UTF8&qid=1497877116&sr=1-1&keywords=bee+pollen+tablets
    Fibro-Warrior
  • Nonnadiluca
    Nonnadiluca Posts: 547 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 19 June 2017 at 5:51PM
    My grandson suffered terribly with hay fever from a very young age, his eyes were particularly badly affected which was a misery for a sports mad, outdoor boy. In the autumn of 2015 I bought him a jar of local, very local, honey: he had a teaspoonful a day over the year and has had no symptoms since. He turned 10 in 2016, so it might have been a coincidence and he just grew out of it, but my feeling is that it can't do any harm to try it. I also know a farmer's wife who has local honey to ward off hay fever and swears by it. If it works, it's better than drugs imo.
    It's supposed to work in a similar way to homeopathy, building a gradual immunity which is why it needs to be as local as possible.
    Fashion on the ration challenge 2023: 66 - 2 = 64 - 1.5 = 62.5
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 19 June 2017 at 6:22PM
    I was also going to suggest the local honey but that will take a bit of time to work.

For immediate relief then OTC allergy relief tablets and perhaps eye drops.

Apparently a bit of Vaseline inside the nostrils also "catches" the offending pollens/dust particles etc.

Also regular showers, hair washing and changes of clothing to remove the pollen.
  • Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    There are lots of tips but I don't know if they'd help you:

Wash your hair before going to bed, to rinse the pollen away.
    Smear petroleum jelly just inside your nostrils, to trap pollen before it goes up your nose.
    Wear wrap around sunglasses, to prevent pollen getting into your eyes.

I use drugs to keep my hayfever under control, such as:

Sodium Cromoglicate eye drops
    Benadryl Acrivastine capsules

If my eyes are feeling hot and sore, my cheap/moneysaving option is to place a cold water soaked flannel on my eyelids. It's very soothing.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • I was a martyer to hay fever till I moved to the country. Right now I'm itchy because the chestnut is in flower , but grass now rarely bothers me

But I'm now in my 50's so my immune system has had time to work through it

As a teen, it was a case of showering when I came in, keeping windows closed , changing the bedding at least every other day, never wearing anything two days running. Vaseline on eyebrows and lashes and under nose Sunglasses were very important

I don't think there is an old style for this. The general rule is to keep pollens off you. It helps but modern products are invaluable. Piriton has been a god send ( plus all the generics). I buy my generic piriton from B&M or savers , around a £1 for a months supply

The other thing is, hay fever comes in cycles. I never believed that till I worked out my worst years were 7 -14 and then again 21-28. I'm itchy with sore eyes now at mid 50s and only get short of breath with pollen blooms
  • esmy
    esmy Posts: 1,341 Forumite
    I suffered for many years but 'grew out of it' in my 30s.

Most tips have already been mentioned - Sunglasses at all times when out of doors, vaseline or nivea around nostrils, cucumber is soothing on your eyes and on the worse days, go to the seaside! Prevailing winds tend to come off the sea and don't carry pollen.
  • Thanks for all the suggestions...
    I do regularly use the flannel option over the eyes - it's great.
    Also use sunglasses when outside and also occasionally inside. It seems to take some of the itchiness away, not sure how...
    also have eyedrops and cetrizine tablets.
    Gonna try the Bee Pollen tablets next year, starting from March to see how that goes.

Here's hoping :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport