HotCrazyDeal.com

Comments

• Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Ambassador
    Hi, we move threads if we think they’ll get more help elsewhere (please read the forum rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com"]forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • jlianna wrote: »
    i have unknowingly made a purchase on this website.

Would anyone have any advice for me: I have contacted the bank and asked them not to allow any unauthorized debit orders to be set up and have given them the website's name. They have said that they will make a note of this, although they cannot guarantee anything. Do i have any kind of protection against these people?

Is this not that the bank has made enough or is there something more that i should/could do?

I'd really appreciate any advice
    the only good thing you can do is to claim your card's stolen and get new one; your bank cannot guarantee protection cause that's your money meaning they really don't care about you
  • andiecayne wrote: »
    you can't even read the terms and conditions, so no way i was going to enter an e-mail address and click okay. Whenever you are suspicious of things like this, it's best to search google for "...." scam - this is how i found this forum on this particular topic.
    Unfortunately, facebook didn't allow me to tell them why i didn't want to see this ad anymore - i will, however, certainly forward some of the info i read here.

Thanks guys and gals!

my mate got that oyster deal the other day and got charged that monthly 29.90 fee out of nothing
    we talked to them they said they located in mauritius
    anyone aware how to fight back?
    Any government or whatever body to report?
    Will it work?
  • sorry but I hae just noticed that 29.90 has been taken from my bank account .sad to say the mrs saw an ad for an e reader for the price of 1pound any ideas on what I can do to stop them getting anymore money as I don't think we will c anything from them .
  • billybiff wrote: »
    sorry but I hae just noticed that 29.90 has been taken from my bank account .sad to say the mrs saw an ad for an e reader for the price of 1pound any ideas on what I can do to stop them getting anymore money as I don't think we will c anything from them .

close friend was charged same way the other day, he got the deal from Facebook ad, he talked to his bank they managed to get the money back canceling the subscription
  • Do people honestly believe that any company will sell them an e-reader for £1 instead of £40 or a £30 Oyster card top up for only £3 and then not have a system in place to get the full value of the goods they sold off cheaply?

Provided that you read their T&C's carefully, and despite what was poster earlier:
    You can't even read the terms and conditions, so no way I was going to enter an e-mail address and click okay
    Once you have signed in, their T&C's are shown both by a link at the bottom of the main page and by a link on the payment page. (this one isn't easy to see, but the other info is simple to find.)

There are also full details shown at the bottom of the main page that are viewable without the need to click any links.
    https://hotcrazydeal.com/welcome-offers?category=0
    Payment is made by credit card via an encrypted SSL connection validated by payment processor system. To fully enjoy all the benefits provided by HotCrazyDeal and to receive our amazing offers each week, you must subscribe to a monthly membership without any minimum commitment period and without cancellation fee. Pricing conditions: unlimited free access to the service during the trial period! At the end of the trial period the monthly membership fee is charged to your payment method and renewed automatically for each subsequent period, at the price in vigour i.e. £29.90.

As for this bit of "advice".
    the only good thing you can do is to claim your card's stolen and get new one; your bank cannot guarantee protection cause that's your money meaning they really don't care about you

As there is about a month between signing up and paying for the goods and the £29.90 being taken, how will the card user explain to their card issuer that the card was lost a few weeks before reporting the loss, especially if they have used the card at any time since the £29.90 payment was authorised?

I'm not saying that this sort of website isn't aimed at gullible or naive internet users, but in the end, people have to take some responsibility for reading up on exactly what they are agreeing to when giving credit card out to unknown companies.
  • Searcher
    Searcher Posts: 600 Forumite
    Do people honestly believe that any company will sell them an e-reader for £1 instead of £40 or a £30 Oyster card top up for only £3 and then not have a system in place to get the full value of the goods they sold off cheaply?

Provided that you read their T&C's carefully, and despite what was poster earlier:

Once you have signed in, their T&C's are shown both by a link at the bottom of the main page and by a link on the payment page. (this one isn't easy to see, but the other info is simple to find.)

There are also full details shown at the bottom of the main page that are viewable without the need to click any links.
    https://hotcrazydeal.com/welcome-offers?category=0

As for this bit of "advice".

As there is about a month between signing up and paying for the goods and the £29.90 being taken, how will the card user explain to their card issuer that the card was lost a few weeks before reporting the loss, especially if they have used the card at any time since the £29.90 payment was authorised?

I'm not saying that this sort of website isn't aimed at gullible or naive internet users, but in the end, people have to take some responsibility for reading up on exactly what they are agreeing to when giving credit card out to unknown companies.

But that would be too easy

I had a look at the page by entering a random email address and it's as clear as day how they work.
    It's right there on the front page in plain English

Once you subscribe to HotCrazyDeal, you will be charged the nominal amount for the selected offer and will be granted a 7 days free trial period during which you will have access to the full spectrum of amazing offers available on the site. After the trial period, your membership shall be renewed every 30 days for £29.90
  • Truepat
    Truepat Posts: 3,278 Forumite
    Never ever sign up to any recurring transaction using a credit card - if any company demands this as the only method of payment then stay well clear.

It is very difficult to cancel recurring credit card transactions and it can be spun out for months.
    35, semi retired, sun, sand, sea, life is good
    When you are done moaning remember that there are people who would love to have your standard of living!
  • tulipchickuk
    tulipchickuk Posts: 26
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 9 December 2013 at 5:52PM
    This is a repost from another thread

oh dear i cannot believe i have been so gullible... i bought the oyster deal, topped up my oyster card then sent them my scanned receipt along with my paypal details, as requested.

the small print said i had 168 hours free trial membership before i would be charged the monthly fee of £29.90, which i duly was.

still no sign of the refunded £25 in my paypal a/c but then the t&c did say 2-4 weeks! i want to ensure no further monies is taken from my account but my bank has told me the only thing they can do is CANCEL my new card (i got it on Dec 1st) and issue me with a new card

won't mind losing the £29.80 so much as long as its only one payment
    am embarrassed that i fell for that one...

update
    i just checked with my bank to try to ensure no further monies are taken, and they told me HCD actually had a put a hold on a further £29.90, which my bank has cancelled; they also cancelled my debit card.

thank goodness for this site, I am grateful i didn't lose more.
    in the unlikely event i get refunded for the oyster topup, i will of course let you all know :)

btw, my bank says they can chase HCD IF I don't get the refund.
    'Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards.' Soren Kierkegaard
  • I have received emails from this scam. Don't know how as I never visited this website or signed up to it. Luckily I checked on Google and found this topic.

Any suggestions as to how to stop the emails since I doubt that the 'unsubscribe' link will work. They would probably sell on the email address to other scammers.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure