Who owns a thread?

If a thread starter doesn't like the way it is going, can they just ask a board guide to completely remove it, no questions asked?

And if the board guides don't have authorisation to do that task (which I thought was the situation) and it has to be passed to a member of the Forum Team, is it (almost) automatic if the thread starter requests it?

I thought all threads were the 'property' of MSE (as the publisher).
So isn't it up to them whether or not to delete a thread, and not the thread starter?

I'm not talking about threads on unacceptable topics, by the way.
They are clearly against the rules and have to go.

I'm also not talking about threads started by mistake (e.g. similar thread already exists) and where there is still only the opening post on the thread.

I'm talking about threads where the thread starter just doesn't like the fact that other posters are disagreeing with them.

Comments

• grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 12 April 2017 at 2:43PM
    Mandelbrot wrote: »
    I thought all threads were the 'property' of MSE (as the publisher).
    So isn't it up to them whether or not to delete a thread, and not the thread starter?
    I think you are right and BGs have no powers to delete threads without MSE intervention.

However, a thread can be deleted automatically if several user click the 'Spam' button in the OP.
  • Mandelbrot
    Mandelbrot Posts: 9,139 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    grumbler wrote: »
    However, a thread can be deleted automatically if several users click the 'Spam' button in the OP.
    Or a single user has enough AEs on tap? :whistle:
  • grumbler
    Yes, I wanted to add that this feature was open to abuse, but I wasn't sure why you asked this question.
  • Tipsntreats
    Tipsntreats Posts: 8,612 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    OK I started a thread at the Arms. On the thread I posted a pic with skeletons, that may have caused distress to someone, so I asked to have it taken down. I asked on the said thread, that I had asked to have it removed, just to stop any further posts. So it was removed.
    I understand that this may not explain your question. But Once a thread is started only the mods, I think can remove it.
    BTW I have NO OTHER usernames. I think one of me is quite enough.
  • Mandelbrot
    Rampant Recycler
    Nothing to do with your thread, Tips.
    Sorry I missed it though ... I like skellingtons. ;)
    Were they real ones?

As I indicated, it was about people who essentially throw a hissy fit and say something like "If I can't get people agreeing with me on my own thread, then I'm going to remove it".
    Rather like kids who when they are 'out' playing cricket, decide to go home taking the only bat with them.
  • Tipsntreats
    Tipsntreats Posts: 8,612 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Mandelbrot wrote: »
    Were they real ones?

As I indicated, it was about people who essentially throw a hissy fit and say something like "If I can't get people agreeing with me on my own thread, then I'm going to remove it".
    Rather like kids who when they are 'out' playing cricket, decide to go home taking the only bat with them.

Yes I think know who you are referring to. It was very strange, even the title was changed!
    Then it was like Jekyll and Hyde at one time, when another user ........well you know.
    Bizarre to say the least. Perhaps some folks report themselves - food for thought.;)
  • Mandelbrot wrote: »
    Were they real ones?

There was a long time MSE member with only a mere handful of posts to his name who joined that thread but when I looked up his user name in the Member's list, I can't find it . .

Is it possible to edit an user name?
  • grumbler
    Is it possible to edit an user name?
    No. Even the Towers do this reluctantly and under exceptional circumstances only.
    Regardless, this affects all posts of the user, even made in the past.
  • grumbler wrote: »
    No. Even the Towers do this reluctantly and under exceptional circumstances only.
    Regardless, this affects all posts of the user, even made in the past.

Thanks - can't work out where he disappeared to!
  • Mandelbrot
    Rampant Recycler
    MSE Towers,
    Why was my latest post deleted?

It merely stated what anyone so minded to do so could have found out by using the various clickable options provided by the MSE forum system.

If we are not now allowed to use the options that MSE themselves provide, then something is seriously wrong ...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure