Finally I have a mortgage I can start to pay off!

Comments

• try_harder
    try_harder Posts: 1,527 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Morning ,i hope you got all your errands sorted and comfortably at work now.I think that would be a great thing for me ,to get a job with a regular income ,it would make such a big difference to our mortgage overpayments ,i think this is something i should think about ,maybe in the spring .Have a good day themadvix and hope you found your notebook .
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,874 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Thanks TH. Yes, I did get out and get a couple of bits done (Shell garage has the bonus points promotion going at the moment, so made sure to top up to exactly £30 to get bonus! It's not cheapest, but it's the closest and I was going in the opposite direction to the other petrol stations, so decided I'd better make the most of it). Managed to get up to date with all work yesterday, which has left this morning free to concentrate on ticking various other jobs off. Unfortunately most of them are shopping-related, so I think today will be expensive. Still haven't found my notebook but have largely reconstructed list now, so plenty to be getting on with.
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• try_harder
    Hi TM .Glad to hear you could remember everything on your list ,i sometimes think i should have a pot that i save into for stationery i always seem to be buying paper ,pens ,paper clips,journals,diaries,folders,files and so the list goes on .I think i have only ever seen my oh write about five lists in all the time we have been together ,i on the other hand have endless writings everywhere and a book for everything .Hope you have a good day and dont spend too much.
  • themadvix
    Not sure I've remembered everything, but plenty to be going on with. Had a fairly successful trip yesterday - even found some jeans that fit and didn't cost the earth (I have major issues with this!). It was an expensive day, but all was necessary stuff.

TH - I have a drawer full of unused notepads/notebooks etc., many of which I've been given or have acquired. Every time DH goes on a course or conference he seems to come back with more too! I was very pleased the other week when I thought I needed a couple of new A4 notebooks that I managed to shop from home for them :)

In even better news, finally something shifted on the bay of E (I'm thinking it's because I moaned here!), so that'll be nearly £20 for the pot when I've packed it up and sent it. :T

Excited that my new clothes should arrive this morning :) I really hope some fit! Have just ordered a bit more of DH's birthday pressie, I won't say what here as he does occasionally read. Think that's almost sorted now. Seem to be haemorrhaging money at the moment!

DH did send me the £90 last night, so I've moved that straight into OP fund so it doesn't get spent. £170 in there now... will be nearly £200 once Ebay money arrives... leaving me with a reasonable amount to top up by to get to £6K by 1 Jan. Which reminds me, must chase a customer for payment or I'll not get paid lots this month!

Am continuing slowly with SBs - I find I can only keep momentum going for a while before I get bored. However, when I'm busy with work (as I have been recently) things slow right down. In good news though, I'm hopeful that I'll be earning a lot from my only referral when my sister goes on maternity leave soon! ;)

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• themadvix
    Fairly relaxed weekend had here. Dinner out on Friday night (DH paid, but will probably need to give him some money), catching up with a friend who now lives in Thailand. Was lovely to see her and hope to see a lot more as she's pregnant and planning on having the baby here (she pays her taxes here!). Leftovers from dinner fed us Saturday night too - so that helped to justify the cost!

Popped out for some bits on Saturday - DH and I enjoyed our free JL cuppa and cake (although it was definitely not free as we had a sandwich and another drink with it). Returned something to M&S as discovered DH can get cheaper at the outlet near his work. Sorted out birthday present for sister's partner too - ordered from Am with vouchers from a survey. Have also redeemed PC and GfK vouchers for Am so I can order some car parts my car needs - will transfer equivalent from car maintenance into OP fund. Don't really like buying from Am, but parts were more than double the price (180 instead of 80) elsewhere - downside of having an older and rare car. Will equate to £41 for OP fund though :D

Oh and ordered a laptop for my business... £600! Current lappy desperately in need of replacement and 7 years old. Hope new one just as long-lived! All budgeted for in business savings and probably a bit left over, so will withdraw that and pay off mortgage :)

Posted bay of E item and clothes to return from order. Spent some of Sunday decorating, DH 'found' £900 he'd forgotten about (honestly!), but that will be split between TSB account and investments. DH away with work Weds-Fri this week, so it was nice to spend the weekend together and not do too much.

Looking fairly on course to reach £6k OPs this year - more than half of our 10% limit, which is very pleasing and hard to believe!

• themadvix
    Went out for dinner with DH last night as he is away most of this week (and he got in late due to having to catch the train). Went to Caf! R and used combination of Leisure vouchers earned from S&S and 40% off mains voucher - ended up paying £5 cash + tip as they don't give change from LV (annoying, but still a bargainous nice meal out!).

Come Jan when TSB interest plummets to 3% we'll be starting to pay quite a bit more off the mortgage (although I'll continue with my RS until March/April). Was reading ATB's diary yesterday and at some point she made a passing comment about how OPing by £2k/month would mean paying mortgage off in 3 years. I played with our spreadsheet and it's pretty much the same for us. Now, gross, my income is roughly that, but there's no way we could live on just DH's income (and I still have to pay tax etc.), but we're going to enter 2017 with a much stricter attitude to OPing. We've booked a holiday for next year, and a weekend away for a wedding, so that's plenty of expensive fun to be going on with (it's quite nice that the majority of both of those are paid for - just food/spending money for holiday needed), so hopefully will be able to focus well on OPing for some time. I wouldn't say my focus wanes, more that I require a change of scenery every now and then, as I don't get out much, so not making promises for the latter half of next year, although as always, everything will be on a tight budget. I think the aim should be to pay max OPs of 10%, which equates to 10k, so £833/month. I've no idea if this is achievable... but setting ridiculous goals seems to be the way to success around here!

In this new 'strict' state of mind, I've counted the Christmas cards we have (leftovers from last year, 30 bought with my M&S voucher) and we have just enough for this year, assuming some people don't make the cut and if necessary I can make a couple to stretch it! Have also found DH a birthday card from stores and probably one for friend whose birthday is on Thursday too (will check with DH that I'm not being too tight!). Have been asked by family what I'd like for Christmas, so trying to think of things that I need/would end up buying, but which don't seem too boring to get as a present.

Have kept heating bill down today by only having it on for two hours - if I get cold I do some exercise to get the blood pumping! It's working so far! :rotfl: Have also cancelled veg box this week (DH away and plenty in), and moved milk delivery as we're swimming in it, 2 pints were meant to arrive tomorrow and DH is away from tomorrow until Friday.

Friend and I are meeting for dinner on Thurs, was expecting to be going to the usual Indian, but think we'll now being going to pub - am crossing fingers I get a voucher through - it happened last time we went there! Will be a cheap night, either way, we're both money conscious.

PS Ooh, I forgot - had email from TSB - they've paid me 3p cashback from last month's contactless spending! That'll knock years off!

• Jessy103
    Jessy103 Posts: 1,824 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Sounds like you have a plan!! Just don't forget to have a few treats in your new 'strict' mindset!
    I've been able to wrap all of my christmas presents with wrapping paper left over from last year and I haven't bought any tags because I cut up last years christmas cards and have been using them instead (OH says I'm a tight git! lol!)
    Oooo 3p! Well you know what they say, every little helps!!
    Jess x
    Mortgage Balance as of Jan 24 £36,500 Starting Mortgage Balance (June 2019) £72,000. 2024 Overpayment Challenge: Jan £558.40, Feb £588.11, Mar £497.32
  • themadvix
    Hi Jess, thanks for stopping by. Treating ourselves is unlikely to be forgotten, don't worry... That's our biggest downfall as we don't do stuff! We'll continue to use S&S for leisure vouchers to get meals out.

I've got loads of Christmas wrapping paper leftover from last year, the year before etc and even keep used stuff (mainly for wrapping Brownie presents!). As we try to avoid plastic I'm currently working my way through 3 rolls of paper tape that I acquired from someone who no longer wanted them! Problem is it limits the wrapping paper I can use!

• themadvix
    £12.60 has become payable on £co, so have requested that. This will take current OP fund over £200, so feeling pretty confident that despite horrific cc bill this month we will be able to make the £6k figure. I also have some money in my 'sheepbank' to pay in - including a couple of notes so that will help too.

Have worked out how many stamps I need for Christmas cards, and will try to minimise by getting them written soon so I can send as many as possible by hand (utilising Dad and FIL mostly!). Return to M&S has been credited to cc account, so am now in credit there. Intend to use that money in the outlet near DH's work and might use some to get some Christmas presents.

I have £39 cash in my account to last until payday (the 1st if I have time to pay myself). Unfortunately this includes the weekend which is DH's birthday and a day out with friends to NT place with Christmas fair. Suspect that has potential for expenditure, although will be limiting spending to needs (and food).

Am going to take a look at cc bill and see what I can cover from bits budgeted for elsewhere... it will look less shocking then!

• try_harder
    Morning TM ,You are doing so well and keeping so very focused on the goal.I have to start writing out my christmas cards i usually send around a hundred and mostly all through the post but this year will also try and send as many as i can by hand due to the high cost of stamps .I dont send to quite a lot of our family and friends now and send a donation to save the children instead but feel i have to write to all those i never see during the year.I have cut up lots of last years cards and made into tags too ,they are very pretty.Have a good day and hope your money lasts out.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback