A £0.29 Laser Colour Printer

Comments

• bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904
    First Post
    Forumite
    I haven't owned a printer for years as the little amount I did do meant the heads kept drying up so I do what I need at work now.
    AndyPix wrote: »

Its like the razor blade "scam"

Not quite the same thing but I remember hearing stories about opposition to Dyson introducing the bagless vacuum, because traditional replacement bag market was worth huge money at the time.
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    AndyPix wrote: »
    No - but thanks for the link - ill check that out
    Apparently we owe what is now known as the 'two-part pricing model' to King Gillette (attract people with a cheap razor, then repeatedly charge them for expensive replacement blades)
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Hengus wrote: »
    ...( which includes a £469 full set of manufacturer's cartridges)...

Are you certain they're a full set of original toners (not a starter pack which is just enough to print a test page)? It's usual for starter toners etc to be just enough to prove the device works and get you on the full price toners etc.
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,442
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Forumite
    I bought a new Samsung C430W colour laser printer from Ryman in December for £100 (should be getting £8 from TCB but still waiting). Samsung had a special offer at the time where you could claim for a free "rainbow" toner pack, which came through within a month of claiming it.

Cheapest I can find the toner pack is £124!

Should last me a while, as I'm still on the toner that came with the printer, but when I to eventually run out of toner I will look at buying a new printer. My environmentally conscious side hates this, but the bottom line is key.
  • kingfisherblue
    kingfisherblue Posts: 9,203
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    I use the Instant Ink for Rainbows and Brownies - it works out much cheaper than buying cartridges. I use the middle package, 100 sheets for £3.49 a month, but also received 9 months free.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,076
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    edited 19 April 2017 at 7:00PM
    To be fair anyone who buys a Lexmark laser printer must have money to burn, they are probably the most expensive to run plus a lot of models will only accept OEM cartridges due to Lexmark Return Program recycling system. Also I'd be surprised if a new Lexmark Laser Printer came with full cartridges, laser printers are normally supplied new with starter cartridges which will do a few hundred pages as opposed to a few thousand pages that the full ones should do.

Black is guaranteed at 8000 pages. My last black cartridge lasted 2 years and they gave me an extra one free.

This is typical of reviews on Printerland:

Small office network workhorse

First thing to say is this is the second one of these printers I've bought. Why? Simply because it's cheaper to buy a new printer with high capacity cartridges that it is to buy a set of high capacity cartridges. Crazy, but true. In addition I get all the advantages of having a new printer (new consumables, new warranty, and so on). That's the only reason it didn't get an "Excellent" on the Value rating. I use it in a small office environment, networked with 3 other users and so far it's performed flawlessly over a number of years. For me it was a no-brainer to buy the same printer again.

Reading this link led to my wife to ask whether I had been out buying stolen goods:

http://www.ebuyer.com/415281-lexmark-cs510de-a4-colour-laser-printer-28e0075
  • System
    Community Admin
    I'll just point out that in most cases the amount of ink/toner you get in the cartridges that come with new printers aren't anywhere near the amount you get in a set of replacement cartridges. Its usually stated somewhere in the small print.
  • System
    Community Admin
    Tarambor wrote: »
    I'll just point out that in most cases the amount of ink/toner you get in the cartridges that come with new printers aren't anywhere near the amount you get in a set of replacement cartridges. Its usually stated somewhere in the small print.

I can only go on past experience. The black cartridge supplied with my first printer lasted nearly 2 1/2 years with a lot of printing each week. I appreciate that many laser printers only come with starter cartridges.
  • eset12345
    eset12345 Posts: 643 Forumite
    if you had to pay the full cost of a printer without them subsidising it with the hope you will go on to buy their liquid gold it would make your eyes water.

there's a hell of a lot of expensive tech inside of a printer, way above the £30 - £100 you'd pay for a cheap printer / scanner / copier.
  • debitcardmayhem
    debitcardmayhem Posts: 11,854
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    What happened to the paperless office? ...... OK I'll get me hat and coat
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure